The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2015, 11:22 AM   #1
88Stanger

Air Compressor size required?

So I am just trying to get a feel for what size air compressor is needed to run air sanders, grinders, and so on. all the typical equipment for a complete frame off build. Currently I have a 30 gal 1.3 hp compressor that just hates to run air grinders/sanders, so its time to get a new compressor. I was looking at the 60 gal upright sears professional series, anyone using this one and have anything to say good or bad about it?
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:25 AM   #2
cooperhw

Re: Air Compressor size required?

I had one of those once and the compressor burnt up.

Replaced it with a Campbell Hausfield from Harbor Freight about 10 years ago and never had a minutes trouble with it. It is also a 60 gal. upright.

Last edited by cooperhw; 05-21-2015 at 11:25 AM. Reason: correction
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:35 PM   #3
BigMike

Stay away from the Oil-Free compressors, those are for occasionally airing up your bike tires, lol. Seriously though, they burn up pretty quickly especially if there is a lot of dirt and dust around. Get a nice Ingersol Rand or Campbell Hausfeld 5hp upright (saves space) with a separate pump and motor (with a belt connecting the two). If you have a little more $$$ you can pick up a Speedaire, BelAire, Quincy or Champion compressor. I know there are more but that's off the top of my head. If you are on a budget browse through your local Craigslist and pick up a good used one. I'd stay away from the Harbor Freight compressors if it were me.

Make sure to get a Single Phase compressor unless you have the capacity in your electrical box to accommodate it, which normal residential homes do not have. Also, try to get a 220v unless you don't have 220 in your garage (dryer plug). Also, pick yourself up a nice water trap.

Hope that helped some.
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:18 PM   #4
jayoldschool

I agree with everything. A 60 gal, oiled, 220V, single stage is the minimum you want. Don't be afraid to buy used, but do your homework, they are inexpensive new.

I gave under 200 for this, used. It works perfectly.

jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote