The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-14-2021, 11:08 AM   #26
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Re: Suburban quarter replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30 View Post
I'm with you Dave. Unfortunately, I doubt the demand is there. Just look at how little traffic this side of the forum regularly gets. Theres probably only 2 dozen or so of us the regularly check in over here.

I posted a thread a year or so ago about the popularity of the Suburban as opposed to the rest of the vintage SUV market. It still floors me how under valued these things are, and how under utilized they are compared to Defenders and FJs in the vintage overloading scene.

I do wish the fenders were available, as both of mine are full of rust and bondo.
I think the problem with this part of the board, actually the whole board, is that Facebook, Instagram, and a host of other sites have pulled the Lemmings from the board.

I dont have Facebook but have looked at a couple of links that have been posted from here. For the life of me I cant figure out why people that are actually passionate about our trucks have moved to Facebook. There is zero comparison. The quality is here hands down.
Attached Images

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291

Last edited by CG; 08-14-2021 at 11:42 AM.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 05:23 AM   #27
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

The back of the panels might be different upon closer inspection of the body line angle. I still might cut these long bed panels depending on how high my rust issues are. I am still waiting on a couple of the burb repair pieces they do make.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:08 PM   #28
Dave
DND Trucks

Well, I decided to reach out to one of the major suppliers of sheetmetal for our trucks, specifically with suburban panels in mind. I explained the issues with 1/4 patch panels, the main one being the beauty/style line in the arch patch doesn't line- up with the lower panels style line. I asked if a feasibility study and the cost of a outer full 1/4 skin had been developed. I knew in part that this request had already been brought up but was unaware how far it actually had been developed.
As it turns out, the cost that was quoted was 180k for the outer skins to include the tail piece and 250k for the inner and outer complete. This cost covers the dies, tooling and fixtures, however these costs do not cover shipping and packaging. The ROI on manufacturing the panels would take longer than what's generally a accepted amount of time. This is primarily due to that there aren't many suburbans left or at least registered thru the BMV. I suspect this how they determined a starting point of possible suburbans that are out there, then how many of those would need and order full length panels. It's a logical and fair question indeed.
However, I was given an assignment to come up with a close up picture of a unmodified or untouched original suburban 1/4 panel and email it to them. Which I intend do shortly. I think the thought here is to make a panel that covers more of the wheel opening.
Lastly, I asked if they would consider making the 3rd door lower sections inside and out. This request seemed to be well received with the greater possibility of actually making it to manufacturing. I don't want to give any false hopes but I think as our trucks are approaching 50 plus yrs old and good used parts drying up there's needs to be more sheetmetal available for our hobby. Now, I know some of you may say... Why didn't you ask for rear hatch and tailgate feasibility? The short answer is we ran out of time, lol. But I will be in contact them again not to worry.

Last edited by Dave; 02-04-2022 at 07:08 PM.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 10:40 PM   #29
FLYNAVY30

that would be amazing
FLYNAVY30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 10:55 PM   #30
pwdcougar

I agree, amazing. Sucks for me though after months of work cobbling three patch panels together. Thanks for reaching out to them!
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 03:39 PM   #31
HO455
Post Whore

Wow! Good work. Dave drinks for free!
Looking forward to some updates. I hope I don't ever need another quarter panel but the 3rd door sill is probably inevitable at some point.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:03 PM   #32
KFF 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Well, I decided to reach out to one of the major suppliers of sheetmetal for our trucks, specifically with suburban panels in mind. I explained the issues with 1/4 patch panels, the main one being the beauty/style line in the arch patch doesn't line- up with the lower panels style line. I asked if a feasibility study and the cost of a outer full 1/4 skin had been developed. I knew in part that this request had already been brought up but was unaware how far it actually had been developed.
As it turns out, the cost that was quoted was 180k for the outer skins to include the tail piece and 250k for the inner and outer complete. This cost covers the dies, tooling and fixtures, however these costs do not cover shipping and packaging. The ROI on manufacturing the panels would take longer than what's generally a accepted amount of time. This is primarily due to that there aren't many suburbans left or at least registered thru the BMV. I suspect this how they determined at starting point of possible suburbans that are out there, then how many of those would need and order full length panels. It's a logical and fair question indeed.
However, I was given an assignment to come up with a close up picture of a unmodified or untouched original suburban 1/4 panel and email it to them. Which i intend do shortly. I think the thought here is to make a panel that covers more of the wheel opening.
Lastly, I asked if they would consider making the 3rd door lower sections inside and out. This request seemed to be well received with the greater possibility of actually making it to manufacturing. I don't want to give any false hopes but I think as our trucks are approaching 50 plus yrs old and good used parts drying up there's needs to be more sheetmetal available for our hobby. Now, I know some of you may say... Why didn't you ask for rear hatch and tailgate feasibility? The short answer is we ran out of time, lol. But I will be in contact them again not to worry.
I totally agree with you on the 3rd door inner panel. The one that everyone sells is for a truck NOT a Suburban. I learned that the hard way after purchasing one and ended up buying another passenger side inner rocker then cut it down to fit . I made sure to document that in my build thread to spare others the aggravation I went through
KFF 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 01:59 AM   #33
Antal

Posted via Mobile Device
Antal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 09:05 AM   #34
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antal View Post
Posted via Mobile Device

Try it again Antal. Your message didn't post that time.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 06:19 PM   #35
nsiti

Quote:
As it turns out, the cost that was quoted was 180k for the outer skins to include the tail piece and 250k for the inner and outer complete. This cost covers the dies, tooling and fixtures, however these costs do not cover shipping and packaging. The ROI on manufacturing the panels would take longer than what's generally a accepted amount of time. This is primarily due to that there aren't many suburbans left or at least registered thru the BMV. I suspect this how they determined at starting point of possible suburbans that are out there, then how many of those would need and order full length panels. It's a logical and fair question indeed.
However, I was given an assignment to come up with a close up picture of a unmodified or untouched original suburban 1/4 panel and email it to them. Which i intend do shortly. I think the thought here is to make a panel that covers more of the wheel opening.
Hi, and thanks for your efforts on this. I'm getting close to the time where I would like to order some rear quarter panels that cover the wheel well. Was there any progress on this, or could you share the name of the vendor so I can follow-up with them to inquire?

PS - I need to start a build thread, but it's a daunting task because I could write a dozen pages on the preparation for the restoration.

Cheers,
Nick

Attached Images

Last edited by nsiti; 01-31-2022 at 06:59 PM. Reason: pictures added
Old 02-04-2022, 08:12 PM   #36
Dave
DND Trucks

Hi Nick,
Thx for reminding me to keep after this. I talked with the supplier this week about making the 3rd door lower inner and outer panels. He said they are reviewing market projections and cost on these items and should know something soon. New tooling will have to be made but for only one side. I asked how long it would take to get to market once approved, he said that it would be under a year. I'm thinking it could be 6 months or less. But the with the current supply chain problems with regards to overseas shipping it could be anyone's guess. With that said, I think this has a better than average chance of becoming a reality for 2022.

As far as a 1 piece suburban 1/4 panel section covering the rear arch area, I can say they're entertaining the idea but it's obviously a large commitment. When you consider there are repro bedsides or even blazer sides that could be cut down to fit in that area. Along with the lower patch panels being offered as well, it makes for a hard sell when you look at all of it. But I think its worth my time to push for a bigger patch panel covering the arch area, rather than trying match up 3 different panels or cutting down bedsides.

I'll be talking with them again next week, hopefully I'll have more info then.
Old 02-04-2022, 09:07 PM   #37
FLYNAVY30

Quote:
Hi Nick,
Thx for reminding me to keep after this. I talked with the supplier this week about making the 3rd door lower inner and outer panels. He said they are reviewing market projections and cost on these items and should know something soon. New tooling will have to be made but for only one side. I asked how long it would take to get to market once approved, he said that it would be under a year. I'm thinking it could be 6 months or less. But the with the current supply chain problems with regards to overseas shipping it could be anyone's guess. With that said, I think this has a better than average chance of becoming a reality for 2022.

As far as a 1 piece suburban 1/4 panel section covering the rear arch area, I can say they're entertaining the idea but it's obviously a large commitment. When you consider there are repro bedsides or even blazer sides that could be cut down to fit in that area. Along with the lower patch panels being offered as well, it makes for a hard sell when you look at all of it. But I think its worth my time to push for a bigger patch panel covering the arch area, rather than trying match up 3 different panels or cutting down bedsides.

Dave, thanks for keeping the press up. Ill definitely need both sides, and willing to pull the trigger whenever they become available.
FLYNAVY30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 10:03 PM   #38
Dave
DND Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30 View Post
Dave, thanks for keeping the press up. Ill definitely need both sides, and willing to pull the trigger whenever they become available.
Your welcome sir. I'll keep updating when I have any new info favorable or otherwise.
Old 02-13-2022, 01:57 PM   #39
nsiti

Quote:
Hi Nick,

Hi Dave, and thanks for the update. I hope you make some progress, though it seems my timeline is probably ahead of the potential for some of these new panels.

In the meantime, what do you folks recommend for patching the rear wheel well and bottom quarters? I see that there are wheel well patches (of various sizes) and the forward and rear panels surrounding it. Will patching these pieces together produce a quality result? It seems that there are so many panel producers that I'm getting confused, so any advice, would be appreciated (photos of the problem areas on my truck are shown above).

Many thanks for your efforts, and any recommendations.

-Nick
Old 02-13-2022, 03:06 PM   #40
52napco

I havea few areas on the lips of mine...so I'll use a dented
OEM truck bedside to repair mine lip area...as far as the other patches
I'll take it to a buddy in Cedar Mountain NC and he will make
Anything needed and tig weld them in...you will never be able to tell
It's been touched
52napco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 11:17 PM   #41
Dave
DND Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsiti View Post
Hi Dave, and thanks for the update. I hope you make some progress, though it seems my timeline is probably ahead of the potential for some of these new panels.

In the meantime, what do you folks recommend for patching the rear wheel well and bottom quarters? I see that there are wheel well patches (of various sizes) and the forward and rear panels surrounding it. Will patching these pieces together produce a quality result? It seems that there are so many panel producers that I'm getting confused, so any advice, would be appreciated (photos of the problem areas on my truck are shown above).

Many thanks for your efforts, and any recommendations.

-Nick
Nick, I can only speak for myself but Keyparts seem to fit the best imo. You still have to do some fitment but overall quality is good compared to the competition. However, trying to match all 3 panels together around the wheel opening is still challenging.
Using a truck long bedside has been done before but is also a lot of work to make it work.The front lower part of the wheel opening on a long side is rounded where all the other models are squared off. You may already know that, just thought I'd mention it.
When any new info becomes available to me, I'll post it here.
Old 02-15-2022, 10:40 AM   #42
knuckle-nurse

I would in for accurate rocker and quarter panels for my 70 Suburban restore.
knuckle-nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 05:23 PM   #43
HO455
Post Whore

Here are some measurements I took comparing long bed and Suburban panels. These are not super accurate but acceptable for comparison. I was surprised by the large difference in the length of the wheel wells. I wonder how many repaired Suburbans are out there with the pickup wheel well installed? Or maybe my Burban has the wrong wheel wells?

A shout of thanks to Basketcase889 who's photo I stole for the comparison. His excellent photography skills (and beautiful truck) made it easy to define where to measure the difference in the panel shape. His unmolested photo is here in post 263.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...703601&page=11

Also notice the differences circled in the last photo.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 08:21 AM   #44
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Yeah, I noticed that on ours and I sold my long bed sides so now I am on to option 2.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 03-01-2022, 12:44 PM   #45
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Not sure if you guys saw the thread member "ebfabman" posted back in 2010 or not. It's in the Truck Tech forum.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=462896

LockDoc

-
Old 04-14-2022, 08:03 AM   #46
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Thanks for that Leon. Efabman sure makes all that look easy and it looks untouched when he is done.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 04-14-2022, 10:46 AM   #47
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Thanks for that Leon. Efabman sure makes all that look easy and it looks untouched when he is done.

Yeah, I would have to have my friend Ron help me with something like that. That is a little beyond my skill level...

LockDoc

-
Old 04-20-2022, 08:27 AM   #48
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I just got the rest of my patch panels. I'm going to try to start on rust repair on the wife's burb before May. Hopefully I can make it happen.
1969 Chevy milk truck