The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2021, 08:46 PM   #1
68mg

Greetings from Vancouver, WA

This is a great site! I joined back in 2020 and found a lot of great advice. A few years ago I started fixing up a '68 Med. Blue C10 Custom Camper, that we've had in the family a long time. It needs some rust repair, new bed sides, front fender and the original 327 rebuilt. So when I started looking to see if I could find any replacement beds that were better shape on Craigslist, I found another '68 C10 that didn't need too much work and ended up buying it to drive.

This newer to me '68 C10 is Light Green, Custom (see my Avatar pic) that originally had a 327/TH400 but had a replacement 350/TH350 when I got it. It does have the original 3:73 posi, HD Rear Coil Springs, Aux Springs and a wood floor. It's been a farm truck for most of it's life and I continue to use if to haul hay and other farm chores. My daughter loves the color and has claimed it if I ever want to get rid of it.

Then a couple of years ago I really needed a C20 to haul a camper so I found a '69 Maroon C20 CST Custom Camper which I just started to fix up. It was originally a BB one with a 396 and high hump cab, but only had a replacement 350 when I got it. It does have the original TH400, Dana 60 with 3:54 gears, HD rear coil springs and Aux. springs. I'll have to get some pictures of it posted.

So I definitely have quite a few projects to keep me busy for quite a few years and this site has been a great resource. The trucks all have the conventional two-tone paint with white cab roofs ('68s ivory) and all were built in 1968 (the '69 was built in the Fall of 68). Thanks
68mg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 11:26 PM   #2
Pick121

Re: Greetings from Vancouver, WA

Welcome! We all would love to see photos of your trucks if you have some spare time betweeen those projects haha

Last edited by Pick121; 10-11-2021 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Mistake
Pick121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:47 AM   #3
The Rocknrod

Welcome to the forum.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 02:25 AM   #4
LT7A

Welcome to another Washington guy! I like your plan. I'm similar, that every time I think of a new need for transportation purposes, it's an opportunity to buy another truck! You already have a great collection, and I agree with the post above, would be great to see pictures.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 02:53 PM   #5
68mg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Welcome to another Washington guy! I like your plan. I'm similar, that every time I think of a new need for transportation purposes, it's an opportunity to buy another truck! You already have a great collection, and I agree with the post above, would be great to see pictures.
Thanks and it's tough having restraint when a great deal comes along on one of these. But now with the prices seeming to double since Covid started, I'm not too inclined to buy any others.

Here are some more pictures, I'll have to replace the bedside on the Maroon truck and look into getting the paint matched.
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2021, 01:21 PM   #6
LT7A

Cool trucks. Isn't there one more, the original one? Interesting on the maroon one - it looks like the color coat was painted over a black primer on the bed and hood and over a white primer on the doors. I've seen that before but it's odd that the factory would do that.
Old 12-11-2021, 02:41 PM   #7
68bowtie

The cabs got red primer, and the front end / beds got black primer. Maybe that’s what you’re seeing.

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 03:02 PM   #8
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68bowtie View Post
The cabs got red primer, and the front end / beds got black primer. Maybe that’s what you’re seeing.
If it's the whole cab, is it possible that they painted the whole cab white since it has a white roof? Like I said, I had seen it once before, but it sounds as if you're saying that it's typical. So I wonder if the whole thing is primed in black, and then the cabs with white roofs get painted white, and then the body color goes over that. I have square bodies that are painted the same color, but one is primed in white, the other one is primed in black, and the net effect is that they're actually different colors. Probably affects it more since they're yellow.
Old 12-11-2021, 05:20 PM   #9
68mg

Thanks guys, I didn't know about the different parts of the truck having different primer colors. I guess that would give a slightly different tint to certain colors.

LT7A - Yeah, the other med. blue C10 is in a storage building so I don't have any good pictures of it right now. It would take a lot more time to get it on the road since I have to rebuild the engine. I'm also waiting to see if one of my kids wants to help restore it when they get a little older.

I'm going to try to keep it mostly original since it still has all the components that match the buildsheet and protecto-plate (I blurred out the last couple of digits of the VIN in the pic). The truck's build date was 1-9-68 and the 327 engine was built on 12-27-67 (V1227YK), 3.07 axle on 1-2-68 (HB 0102K) and TH400 Tranny on 12-20-67 (68T354 if I calculated the julian date right depending on leap year, etc). Even still has the original carb. and I've verified that the 327 engine has the larger journals and forged crank even though I've read that those weren't supposed to come out until later in '68.
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2021, 07:38 PM   #10
68bowtie

Good point about the white roof, I’m not sure how they did the two-tone paint…

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 12:55 PM   #11
LT7A

The one you have in storage sounds really cool too. I'm a big fan of that medium blue color. And I like that you are paying attention to the originality. I know these trucks aren't super rare, per se, but keeping original ones original just seems cool in my book. And the fact that that 327 came with the strong parts from the factory just adds to that.