The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2008, 06:13 PM   #1
The Big Green

need help bagging a '67

Suspension as of right now is stock height, nothing changed, coil spring rear. I have a lot of friends that have bags, but have never really liked them, but that has changed. I went to my first drag last night. I grew up into the drags that had more smoke from tires, and not sparks...lol. I want a cheap kit, not too cheap, and my buddy said go with a switch box. I can upgrade for my needs at a later time, and work my way up to a full out truck to drag whenever I want. For now, just an easy bolt on in a weekend kit, with bags in place of all 4 coils. I do not want cheap stuff, I want Slam bags, and a good compressor, maybe 1 that I can upgrade to 2 of them later. I really just need help...lol. My buddy bought his basic FBSS kit from FBIRides.com, is that a good place. His bag kit, with the membership was $1030. If I shop there I need to know what would be good parts to get.

I'll appreacaite any help, I was going to call them tomorrow sometime, but kinda know nothing, but I hope to learn.
The Big Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:40 PM   #2
leftcoast66

Re: need help bagging a '67

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Green View Post
Suspension as of right now is stock height, nothing changed, coil spring rear. I have a lot of friends that have bags, but have never really liked them, but that has changed. I went to my first drag last night. I grew up into the drags that had more smoke from tires, and not sparks...lol. I want a cheap kit, not too cheap, and my buddy said go with a switch box. I can upgrade for my needs at a later time, and work my way up to a full out truck to drag whenever I want. For now, just an easy bolt on in a weekend kit, with bags in place of all 4 coils. I do not want cheap stuff, I want Slam bags, and a good compressor, maybe 1 that I can upgrade to 2 of them later. I really just need help...lol. My buddy bought his basic FBSS kit from FBIRides.com, is that a good place. His bag kit, with the membership was $1030. If I shop there I need to know what would be good parts to get.

I'll appreacaite any help, I was going to call them tomorrow sometime, but kinda know nothing, but I hope to learn.
A basic fbss kit would be the way to go. I'd go 3/8 lines and switches. You can upgrade that stuff to half if you see fit later on, basically all of the stuff is upgradable. Bags are all the same mounts so you switch to different types of bags easily. Just replacing coils with bags though, you won't be low enough to drag, but it does look way better than stock stance. The place I always order from is thebagshack.net cuz Devon treats me good there. Its a one person affair, so your order won't get lost switchin hands. Suicide doors is another one, and fbi does have good stuff. They all carry similar products and all have slam bags, so really its just a matter of opinion on who you go to.
leftcoast66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:59 PM   #3
The Big Green

Well, theres more...lol. I have a $1100 to play with, and if I wait, it will be spent elsewhere. I have juggled to idea of bags for years, but always said I wouldn't. I know I want Slam bags, thats what he got in his kit, plus 1/2 lines and valves, but his compressor was way too slow, it was easier to pick the car up, to load on a trailer...lol. I don't have enough to lay the front, but as far as the back goes, I'm not sure what to do with the bed, I like my wood bed staying stock. I can upgrade to lay frame later, right now its more for the ride, and a little play. I can get used to it, and drag later on down the road, the expensive part it the kit, IMO, because the rest can be bought in peices, and as for the monster notches, I'm not sure what they run, on the cheap, not good looking side.

Thanks, 1 more question, I have NO credit cards, and NO debit card, any places they take money orders? A wife can't track down a money order...lol.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:10 PM   #4
leftcoast66

Quote:
Well, theres more...lol. I have a $1100 to play with, and if I wait, it will be spent elsewhere. I have juggled to idea of bags for years, but always said I wouldn't. I know I want Slam bags, thats what he got in his kit, plus 1/2 lines and valves, but his compressor was way too slow, it was easier to pick the car up, to load on a trailer...lol. I don't have enough to lay the front, but as far as the back goes, I'm not sure what to do with the bed, I like my wood bed staying stock. I can upgrade to lay frame later, right now its more for the ride, and a little play. I can get used to it, and drag later on down the road, the expensive part it the kit, IMO, because the rest can be bought in peices, and as for the monster notches, I'm not sure what they run, on the cheap, not good looking side.

Thanks, 1 more question, I have NO credit cards, and NO debit card, any places they take money orders? A wife can't track down a money order...lol.
I dunno bout the other places, but try emailing the bag shack and tell him what's up. He might have some ideas on the money order side of it all... Tell Devon at bag shack brendan sent you if you go that route, him and I are in a truck club together.
I would go with some 3/8 lines and then get a bigger compressor so you can have it charge quicker and 3/8 is good enough to get up and down in a decent amount of time. Thanks to our funky style of frames, having the bend in the middle, you have to get a monster notch for our style, a few places make them, that have a bend in the middle to deal with the frame bending and keeping it all lined up. Just checked kpcomponents and there's are 185, so there's just some info for that. Keeping your bed floor stock, good luck... I would just cnotch the frame for time being to be decently low, and won't have to mess with floor of bed. I had issues with hitting bump stops when I had the truck laying even driving down the road w/ no notch so I would just c notch it to get it a lil bit lower.

Last edited by leftcoast66; 10-05-2008 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:12 PM   #5
71blaze

***************** has a notch for 139.99.
They also take money orders.
71blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:22 PM   #6
The Big Green

I'll give him a shot, dealing with a place, means, good prices, but also good service, and you don't know what the service is until you deal. Thats not as bad as I thought a monster notch would be, but I'll go with a cnotch for now, much cheaper, less mods to frame and bed, and I'm rolling on 15's, and 275/60 tires...lol. I'm not really running 24's, so the bed shouldn't need cut up just yet. I don't mind spending the cash for the good stuff, but I don't wanna over do it, I'm a newbe. I'll give him a call, the money order thing puts a stop on a few things, but I'd be bagged and body dropped, and have huge wheels if I had credit cards.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:24 PM   #7
The Big Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71blaze View Post
***************** has a notch for 139.99.
They also take money orders.
Yay, even better. I'll give both places a call tomorrow, thanks guys!
Old 10-06-2008, 11:51 AM   #8
The Big Green

Would this be a good way to go, for a start?

Front Brackets, Bolt-In Notch, Slam RE-6 'bags, Viair 380C, 8 Asco Valves, 5 Gallon 5 Port Tank, 50' 1/2" Line.

Would that be all I need? That was from The Bag Shack, I got the best price there. I decided to get the 480C, and get the switch box. Just wanna know if I getting what I need.

Last edited by The Big Green; 10-06-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:40 PM   #9
baggedcten
86 C10

i think thats about it oh and some fittings.
baggedcten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:18 PM   #10
leftcoast66

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggedcten View Post
i think thats about it oh and some fittings.
Yeah, fittings and that's it. message devon again, I think he spaced out on those, he's got fittings.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:23 PM   #11
The Big Green

Fittings, lol I may need them. He either added, but didn't write them in, or just forgot about them. I can prolly get them in town, my grandpa has a few dumptrucks, so fittings should be easy.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:25 PM   #12
leftcoast66

Quote:
Fittings, lol I may need them. He either added, but didn't write them in, or just forgot about them. I can prolly get them in town, my grandpa has a few dumptrucks, so fittings should be easy.
Yeah, lowe's has some of them also... like the ones for attaching the lines to the bags and to the valves...
Old 10-07-2008, 09:36 AM   #13
The Big Green

Well, Brendan, I confused him with my messaging...lol, but I confuse myself too. I added the 480C, switchbox, and a fitting kit. I think I have a good start, better than 1 of my friends did...lol.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:39 AM   #14
The Big Green

Oh, 1 of my friends bought a kit off of FBI, and upgraded from the 380C, not sure which one, but it was still slow. He had to wait forever to unload off his trailer, but I think he had a 7 gal tank, which made it harder to build pressure.

I'm buying soon, and will have a little project over winter.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:14 AM   #15
SCOTI

I think the general rule of thumb is 1 compressor for every 3 gals of air storage. Is your friend running one or two compressors?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:28 AM   #16
The Big Green

He has 1 compressor, but a 7gal tank. It is a lot better now, he has a bigger 1, Air Zenith, not sure what size.

Should a ViaAir 480C be ok for a 5 gal tank? I'm new, and trying to learn whatever I can...lol.

Does Air Zenith just offer 1 size? thats all I found.

Last edited by The Big Green; 10-07-2008 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:38 AM   #17
The Big Green

Got a question, newbe one...lol. I'm pretty sure all basic airbag kits are sold as FBSS, is this right? Should mine be FBSS? I of my buddies has a FBSS kit, but doesn't like using it.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:45 AM   #18
Frizzle Fry

As long as you have 8 valves you will have independent fill/dump control of each corner.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:28 PM   #19
The Big Green

Thanks. Yea, I just got thru talking to a buddy of mine, and he explained. I'm still learning. He said FBSS is a pain.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:07 PM   #20
The Big Green

Front Brackets, Bolt-In Notch, Slam RE-6 'bags, Viair 380C, 8 Asco Valves, 5 Gallon 5 Port Tank, 50' 1/2" Line.

I found a place that quoted me $1023, shipping included. I upgraded 2 a Viair480C for plus $60, and a swicthbox for $30.

Good guy, fast replies. Good price??? He beat SD, but not FBI, for member pricing problems, but I'm not a member, so that doesn't help...lol.

Can you guys that have bought, help?
Old 10-07-2008, 09:55 PM   #21
leftcoast66

Quote:
Thanks. Yea, I just got thru talking to a buddy of mine, and he explained. I'm still learning. He said FBSS is a pain.
If your driving it on the street often, I prefer it. Lets you adjust for each corner to make it a bit more streetable, and if one line gets messed up, your not completely screwed.