The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2015, 09:06 PM   #1
jimmye

Changing Engine

I am installing a new SBC in my 1969 GMC, THE QUESTION I know there is just the motor mounts and no rear supports will the mounts hold the engine W/O the transmission, right now I have the engine in place with support under the engine , I am going to put Turbo 400 in next but I need to raise the truck to get the tranny in , I started to put tranny in first , but it likewise has no front supports so I elected to go with engine first and tranny 2nd I can rig up something to support engine if needed. Most everyone wanted me to install engine and tranny at one time but I had accessories on the engine and wanted to do it separate mainly because I am doing it by myself. Suggestions appreciated . I won't go forward till I get some advice from somewhere. Lol
jimmye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:23 PM   #2
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Changing Engine

The motor mounts will support the SBC alone. I'm not too familiar w/automatics. My '71 GMC Jimmy has the SM465 4-speed manual [+NP205 xfer case]. I know I've seen transmission mounts for automatics, but not sure how they go in. 4x4 transmission/transfercase set up is a bear. I would not do that alone. For safety reasons, even if it were a 2wd, I would try to find a buddy to help with the Xmsn part, but a self-reliant spirit is good.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:41 PM   #3
Crewchief22

At minimum I'd recommend a ratchet strap under the rear of the engine, frame to frame to help support it until you get it raised up and can support it with a jack stand.
Crewchief22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:22 PM   #4
jimmye

Crewcheif22 : Are you saying to put a strap under the rear of the engine till I get the tranny in place. I will have someone help with the transmission, my thoughts are to put the transmission on a jack and strap and get someone to raise while I guide it in.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:24 PM   #5
jimmye

Engine is in place , with a stiff leg under the rear of the engine
Old 01-03-2015, 10:45 PM   #6
Crewchief22

I'm suggesting adding extra support for the engine until you are ready to install the transmission. The engine mounts are not designed to keep the engine from tilting from front to rear and without the trans in place for the added support you could tear the rubber mounts.
Crewchief22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:06 PM   #7
tcrist

Another suggestion if I may? this is more for if you are installing the trans by yourself but would not hurt if you have help installing it.

Get two 3"-4" bolts, cut the heads off, cut a groove into the non-threaded end so it will fit a standard screw driver. Screw them into the bottom most holes for the bell housing. Use these for easier alignment while installing the trans.

On real important part is to be sure the torque converter is installed all the way into the trans before installing. There are "EARS" in the trans that have to line up with the slots on the torque converter. When installing the torque converter, be sure to spin it around while pushing it in towards the rear of the trans. If the surface on the torque converter where it bolts to the flywheel is not recessed close to 1/2" or more into the bell housing surface of the trans where it bolts to the engine, it is not in far enough.

Do not, whatever you do try to "PULL" the bell housing up flush with the engine with the bell housing bolts if there is any pressure on it at all. That would mean that the torque converter is not pushed back into the trans all of the way. There would be a good chance that you could break off the "EARS" in the trans which would mean the trans would not work.

Hope that I am not going of on to much of a tangent but I have seen this happen too many time and have done this once myself.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:22 PM   #8
jimmye

Thanks for info. I did put 2 stiff legs under the rear of the engine for precaution, I wasn't comfortable with just the mounts, I will put a strap under it tomorrow and thanks for info. On transmission, I,had one individual tell me to make sure the converter was all the way back, but this was more in details.
I will post again after the next step. THANKS ! !
Old 01-04-2015, 08:46 AM   #9
jimmye

Trying to post picture, maybe it will show up.
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2015, 11:56 AM   #10
jimmye

Smile Re: Changing Engine

tcrist : THANKS FOR INFO. I went to put the converter in and I heard from several that as you slip it that it was like two bump as it goes over the splines, I felt it go twice and having never putting a converter on I would have thought that was it , but looking at it side ways I could see it outside of the Bell Housing. I proceeded to spin and wiggle it as it eased in on the converter and sure enough it eased on in a little futher. YAY : but still tinkering with it and looking at my amazement I just knew it was all the way back , but I usually double check everything and most people think I am silly at double checking and checking again. I STILL TURNED AND EASED BACK ON IT AND IT SLIPPED IN A LITTLE FUTHER, THANKS !! you may have saved me a lot of trouble jimmye
Old 01-04-2015, 01:57 PM   #11
tcrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmye View Post
tcrist : THANKS FOR INFO. I went to put the converter in and I heard from several that as you slip it that it was like two bump as it goes over the splines, I felt it go twice and having never putting a converter on I would have thought that was it , but looking at it side ways I could see it outside of the Bell Housing. I proceeded to spin and wiggle it as it eased in on the converter and sure enough it eased on in a little futher. YAY : but still tinkering with it and looking at my amazement I just knew it was all the way back , but I usually double check everything and most people think I am silly at double checking and checking again. I STILL TURNED AND EASED BACK ON IT AND IT SLIPPED IN A LITTLE FUTHER, THANKS !! you may have saved me a lot of trouble jimmye

No worries, that is what we are all here for, to help as much as we can. I just know that I messed one up once and if my mess up even helps one person from doing the same, it is worth mentioning over and over.

BTW, the engine looks nice.