The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2021, 07:39 PM   #1
May70

Truck listing in Yorktown Va - FYI to buyers

FYI if anyone here is looking at this listing:
**NOT MY ADD**

•Claims he has owned for ~6 months, after flat trade for 67 rebadged ss camaro.
•Claims he has driven a fair amount but I believe the pics displayed were actually the previous owners pics as he did not own a viper nor live at that location. It also appears pics were photoshopped or edited to some extend because it was no where close to that finish. Truck was on jack stands without wheels upon arrival and he was working on breaks. Not confident the truck had been driven at all by current owner as there was no dirt/road grim on freshly painted inner fenders etc.
•Roof/front windshield joints had substantial amounts of filler so no telling.
•Truck was painted in a single stage paint with some dry spots and runs on several panels. Someone attempted to buff out the PS door and probably ruined the paint on that door. His words upon me pointing out some deficiencies was "its a 20' backyard paint job"
•Has had frame modifications done to support a static air bag system that he claims holds air.
•Claims its titled as a 72 with a 67 'grill' however obviously it has an entire front clip for a 67.
•Has repro entire front clip and both doors doors. Stickers were not even removed from doors/core support and core support was not painted (other than coating it came with).
•PS inner rocker was partially replaced & entire outer rocker. PS is missing numerous structure bolts. Cab corner has filler in the lower section to match up to rocker. Cab supports should have been replaced but were not.
•DS cab corner appears to be original but has some fiberglass mat sitting in the bottom of the corner. New inner rocker entirely and outer rocker. Cab supports should have been replaced but were not. Inner rocker was done extremely poorly and does not line up with the bottom of the DS rocker.
•Floor pan has numerous small rust through spots and typical pitting along the front seam which should have been fixed. They were just painted over as is.
•PS bed side was a repro- inside not painted.
•DS bed side was re-used with some of the trim holes filled with filler and not welded shut as they should have been.
•Mechanically it would start but he said the throw-out bearing was bad. At this point I knew I wasnt buying it so I didnt go much more in depth.
•Seems to need a large amount of wiring done, has an original dash in average condition. Claims corvette ls1 and appears to be paired to the corvette motor's original transmission. Claimed 45k miles on eng/trans from wrecked vette.

*All welds were done very poorly and appear to have been done with a 110v flux core machine by an inexperienced user. 95% of the welds are bubbled up and did not have enough heat to adequately penetrate the substrate to be structurally sound. Where rockers were replaced was pretty rough on the outside and all of the frame work welds were extremely rough. I would not drive the truck without re-doing all the framework welds at a minimum.

I would say the truck is substantially overpriced at $20k and the fresh paint is hiding a lot of issues. 6-12 months stored outside or 1-2 years of frequent driving will start to have rust through under hidden areas. Floor will also resume rotting along with cab supports, DS existing bedside and likely areas around the roof. All work performed previously either needs to be totally redone or given a lot of love.

Would suggest passing. Unfortunately someone was showing up with a 20k certified check as I was leaving so I hope they knew what to look for.
Attached Images

How to repair that rusted out 67-72 c10-c30! Please subscribe!
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaycoCustomRestorations
May70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 08:39 PM   #2
67C10Step

Re: Truck listing in Yorktown Va - FYI to buyers

Dang! Sounds like I did a better job as a teenager with no budget back in the 1980’s. At least my amateur work didn’t show for seven years. Flippers trying to make a quick buck in a hot market and some novice will get bitten.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 08:44 PM   #3
body bolt

I don't think I would pay $5K for that.
body bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 08:46 PM   #4
May70

Quote:
Originally Posted by body bolt View Post
I don't think I would pay $5K for that.
Personally I wouldn't pay anything for it because its a whole lot less work to fix rot in original metal than to clean up someone's circus act.

Sounded like the current owner got shafted, found it out after the trade and is trying to pass on the favor

Old 06-22-2021, 08:52 PM   #5
body bolt

I agree with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by May70 View Post
Personally I wouldn't pay anything for it because its a whole lot less work to fix rot in original metal than to clean up someone's circus act.

Sounded like the current owner got shafted, found it out after the trade and is trying to pass on the favor
body bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:09 PM   #6
May70

Quote:
Originally Posted by body bolt View Post
I agree with that.
Which just to be clear is still too much dang work!! Hah

Old 06-22-2021, 09:54 PM   #7
Grumpy old man

[QUOTE= its a whole lot less work to fix rot in original metal than to clean up someone's circus act.[/QUOTE]

BINGO ! If you have plans for a total rebuild I'd rather be able to see what's ahead than guess what's hidden under some shiny paint .

It's also the reason I take hundreds of before / during / after repair pictures . It's also a good reason to have a build book listing part #'s / sources / recipts/ it proves what was done and if a replacement part is needed you ( or the next owner ) knows what it is and where to find it .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:31 AM   #8
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by May70 View Post
... Claims corvette ls1 and appears to be paired to the corvette motor's original transmission. Claimed 45k miles on eng/trans from wrecked vette....
FYI-Corvette LS (C5='97 up)always had the transmission at the rear axle. The C4 '96 LT1/LT4 was the last Corvette with a transmission bolted to the engine. So it will be a Camaro or Truck transmission. Not that it matters.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote