The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2021, 11:21 AM   #1
prg machine

Door Latch removal

Just confirming that I can remove the door latch mechanism in my 69 K-20, without removing the window hardware.
It appears that the latch can be removed from around the window mechanism, but seems like it might be a tight squeeze. Has anyone else had experience with this subject.
Thanks
Crane roller cam lifters and rockers ,1.6 intake ratio, Open chamber heads, 9.5-1 compression ratio, 2.02 intake valves , Edelbrock performer Air Gap manifold Carter AFB performer 750cfm, MSD ignition, SM465 NP205 4.10 gears:
prg machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:59 AM   #2
67 twins

Re: Door Latch removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by prg machine View Post
Just confirming that I can remove the door latch mechanism in my 69 K-20, without removing the window hardware.
It appears that the latch can be removed from around the window mechanism, but seems like it might be a tight squeeze. Has anyone else had experience with this subject.
Thanks
This was already addressed in your thread from a week ago. Nothing has changed in that week.
72 C1500 Sierra Grande 350 TH350 longbed fleetside=wife's fair weather truck
Can you tell we are fans of longbed fleetsides & 67s
Chris
67 twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 02:25 PM   #3
prg machine

Very well.
Crane roller cam lifters and rockers ,1.6 intake ratio, Open chamber heads, 9.5-1 compression ratio, 2.02 intake valves , Edelbrock performer Air Gap manifold Carter AFB performer 750cfm, MSD ignition, SM465 NP205 4.10 gears:
Old 06-25-2021, 02:13 PM   #4
prg machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 twins View Post
This was already addressed in your thread from a week ago. Nothing has changed in that week.
Just thought I would add that what has changed in the last week is that I have accomplished the task.
For anyone else in the future who needs to change their door latch without removing the window hardware, here is what I suggest after I learned through my struggles.

First remove the door lock, where the key goes, that way you have one less component in your way.

Remove all but the top screw that holds the inside door handle mechanism inside the door. Leave the top screw attached by only a few threads. This allows the activating rod that runs from the door handle back to the latch to pivot enough to unhook it from the latch after you drop the door latch.

Next remove the lock button from the top of the door so it's activating rod can drop down through the door. It will remain connected to the latch until the latch is out of the truck.

Remove the 3 screws that hold the latch in the door and drop the latch down and forward into a position where you can carefully turn the Spring retaining Clip that keeps the inside door handle activating rod attached to the door latch. Be careful not to drop it into the door when you pull out the activating rod.

Remove the door latch with the rod attached that goes up through the top of the door for the lock button. Then take the assembly to the bench and re-assemble the locking rod to your new latch.

Reverse this procedure for putting everything back in the door.

The new latch I received was extremely tight and hard to activate, so I applied some high pressure lube (white grease) to the moving parts that activate the lock.

Also, a needle nose Vise Grip helped when it came time to hold onto the button activating rod through the upper left teardrop shaped hole in the door to keep the assembly from dropping into the door as I re-attached the door activating rod. It also helps to squeeze the retaining clip so it fits on the door latch tight enough not to fall into the door.

Hope that this helps someone else out.
Old 06-25-2021, 02:28 PM   #5
gearheadperkins

Great write up.. I will be doing very soon on my 72.. Thanks for the details

Matthew 4:19
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
gearheadperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:40 PM   #6
prg machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadperkins View Post
Great write up.. I will be doing very soon on my 72.. Thanks for the details
I hope that it helps out. My replacement was very stiff when I put it in and I was afraid that I was going to twist my key off trying to lock and unlock it. The grease made a big difference. I got mine from Jeggs. Good quality.