The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2016, 01:39 AM   #1
superlifted

speedometer not working

Got a 71 chevy blazer and have no working speedometer. I have the cable spinning up tp the gauge. Is there a gear to replace or do I got to replace the whole speedometer?
Old 01-03-2016, 10:49 AM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: speedometer not working

If the needle doesn't move at all I would look for stripped teeth in the gears inside the transmission. Remove the driven gear housing (bullet). There is a plastic driven gear on the bullet and a plastic drive gear on the transmission shaft that turn the cable.

If they look good the next thing is to make sure the cable is inserted all the way into the back of the speedometer in the dash. Sometimes the part that screws in gets crossed threaded and the square end of the cable does sit all the way in and won't spin the speedometer. I check it by removing the speedometer bullet (drive gear housing) and with the transmission cable attached, spin it to see if the speedometer needle jumps (you will need someone to help you).

If those checks are good and it still won't move than the speedometer itself is bad and needs to be replaced.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:18 AM   #3
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: speedometer not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlifted View Post
. I have the cable spinning up tp the gauge. Is there a gear to replace or do I got to replace the whole speedometer?
Assuming that is up "TO' the gauge?

The steel square drive that pushes into the back of the speedo wears the plastic 'socket' in the speeedo. (some years are brass,, but more are plastic) Ya might try pushing the cable housing further into the speedo, and / or (if it's a replacement cable) moving the drive end just a tad longer to see if it engauges. Sometimes that works, sometimes not.

The aftermarket cables are crap to say the least, so try to keep your original if possible.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote