The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2021, 05:41 PM   #26
CMGreen8812

Re: Project Inline Six

I got tired of tripping over my fuel tank again, so I made some more captured nut brackets and installed my Boyd Welding fuel tank more permanently. Then, I made a little patch panel for the transmission hump, and had my valve covers powder coated Chevy Orange
Attached Images

CMGreen8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:51 PM   #27
CMGreen8812

For my 4L80E rebuild, I went with a Jakes Performance Stage 3 build with a billet input shaft and a forged aluminum front hub upgrade. For my stall converter, I reached out to Neal Chance and they spec'd out a 9.9 EZ Spool lock up converter for my setup. Should be plenty over built for what I have in mind.
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2021, 05:56 PM   #28
Racer2172

Nice truck dig the dare to be different engine.
1968 C10 Project Quarantine http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=804800
1980 Buick Regal Dirt Stock car
Racer2172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:07 PM   #29
CMGreen8812

For my turbo setup, I considered going with a big single, but I really wanted to take a "different" approach. So, I reached out to SupraStore and bought their Borg Warner EFR 7163 twin turbo kit.

After upgrading to a pair of Turbosmart recirculation valves for more boost, I reached out to GC Cooling and got their extruded tube core radiator with a pair of 14" fans. I set my intercooler in place for kicks, and it juuuust fits!
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2021, 06:33 PM   #30
CMGreen8812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer2172 View Post
Nice truck dig the dare to be different engine.

Thank you!

I had a friend weld in some water supply fittings and oil return fittings for my turbo setup, and then I installed some 3.75" trailing arm cross member exhaust cutouts. I plan on running dual 3" stainless steel exhaust, one for each turbo.
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2021, 07:56 PM   #31
SkidmoreGarage

This build is great. I have a similar, but much slower, build going on. Don't get too discouraged with the clunky forum image interface, whatever you share is appreciated.

With how much a decent LS goes for, other engines are starting to get more attractive if you want to turbo. I say more power to you! You'll see a turbo k-series before you know it.
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 12:36 AM   #32
Scurry67

Great build so far! Looks great with some creative touches. I’ll be following along for sure.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:48 AM   #33
CMGreen8812

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidmoreGarage View Post
This build is great. I have a similar, but much slower, build going on. Don't get too discouraged with the clunky forum image interface, whatever you share is appreciated.

With how much a decent LS goes for, other engines are starting to get more attractive if you want to turbo. I say more power to you! You'll see a turbo k-series before you know it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurry67 View Post
Great build so far! Looks great with some creative touches. I’ll be following along for sure.
Thanks guys!

You might have noticed this old tool box I got from a friend floating around my garage. I finally got around to stripping, priming and painting it to match roof, bumpers, etc.
Attached Images

Last edited by CMGreen8812; 06-24-2021 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:54 AM   #34
CMGreen8812

I got really lucky and managed to find a set of West Coast Jr mirrors in a salvage yard not too far from home! I tore them down, clean them up, and painted them to match the rest of the truck when I painted my tool box. I've wanted a set of these for years!
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2021, 10:02 AM   #35
CMGreen8812

I changed my mind a few times concerning what direction to go with my braking system. I finally pulled the trigger on a hydroboost setup from POL, and I'm glad I did. This thing looks great!
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2021, 10:22 AM   #36
CMGreen8812

After months of parts being on backorder, it's time to start wiring!

For engine and trans control, I went with an MS3 Pro Evo paired with an Amp EFI Trans Control unit, which came with a nice PnP harness for the 4L80E.

For my body harness, I reached out to a local company called Jolt Systems and had them make a new fuse/relay block with everything I need in one place. No random relays all over, no multiple fuse panels. At least, that's the idea!

A pair of 450LPH Flexfuel Walbro pumps will be delivering E85 to my FIC 1650cc injectors.

Also, I had a nearby pin striper do some work on my painted hubcaps. It's am older Toyota logo that a friend of mine found on an old keychain, and I thought it would be a fun, subtle addition to my wheels.
Attached Images

Last edited by CMGreen8812; 06-24-2021 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-24-2021, 03:04 PM   #37
SkidmoreGarage

I have an MS3x (on a Miata), I built mine. I wish that I had a Pro, but they came out right after I installed mine. It's a great ECU. The only real drawback is that they don't support drive by wire throttle or transmission control, but nothing else comes close for the price/features. Tuner studio is also nice software with frequent updates.

I also have FIC injectors. They came very closely matched and with all of the relevant documents to get them setup in tuner studio.

Have you done this stuff before?

It will be fun to see a bit more of the new tech on display on this forum. I hope some of the more traditional hot rodders on here will see that it's all the same stuff for the same purpose, which is going fast and building what you want.
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 03:45 PM   #38
CMGreen8812

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidmoreGarage View Post
I have an MS3x (on a Miata), I built mine. I wish that I had a Pro, but they came out right after I installed mine. It's a great ECU. The only real drawback is that they don't support drive by wire throttle or transmission control, but nothing else comes close for the price/features. Tuner studio is also nice software with frequent updates.

I also have FIC injectors. They came very closely matched and with all of the relevant documents to get them setup in tuner studio.

Have you done this stuff before?

It will be fun to see a bit more of the new tech on display on this forum. I hope some of the more traditional hot rodders on here will see that it's all the same stuff for the same purpose, which is going fast and building what you want.
True, the MS3 Pro Evo doesn't control transmissions, but it can be easily linked to a Microsquirt which does! I do still wish I could have used a drive by wire throttle body, but there are other ways to get traction control

I do have experience with this kind of setup, but it wasn't my project. A friend of mine and I swapped a 2JZ into a Mercury Capri a handful of years ago. My drivetrain build takes a fair amount of inspiration from his setup, but he went with a big single turbo + nitrous, and I went with twins. Where his project is a track car ready for the street, mine will be a street car ready for the track.

I'm a big fan of new tech on old rides, especially if it keeps them on the road. Most of us really are chasing the same thing, and one of the best things about going fast is all of the different ways to do it. Carb, EFI, NA, Forced Induction, even Electric... I want to see it all!
Old 06-27-2021, 07:43 PM   #39
CMGreen8812

Getting some wiring business done this weekend. I made some mounting plates for my fuse block, ECU, and transmission controller while leaving plenty of room for gauges.

I also replaced the seals and felts on both door windows, and installed a set of Altman Easy latches. The windows now roll up/down super easy, and the doors latch closed like a new car. Once I get some more fasteners, I'll finish off installing the door panels.
Attached Images