The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2018, 06:49 AM   #26
homemade87

Re: Making A New Oil Pressure Line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
I had the nylon tubing in my 66, and it became brittle and split and blew oil all over my father-in-laws driveway.
I've read of guys having them spray all over under their dash.
I guess that would have been worse.
I'm replacing mine with copper.
However, I have read of some saying that copper may crack from vibration.
Has anyone heard of or had an issue with the copper tubing?
Copper tubing does become harder over time . If not properly looped for stress relief the vibration will crack it premature . You are correct that copper can fail , this is why the auto industries does not use it . I even had to replace the copper tubing on my air compressor a couple times . Not good in a vibration environment .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:42 AM   #27
damnyankee36

My 66 has a steel line which I assume is original. There is no loop in it either.

Is steel w/o a loop correct? I need to look in the AIM to see if there is good illustration on the instalation.
damnyankee36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:11 PM   #28
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Yeah, steel I read was original.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:47 PM   #29
v30crewcab

is there anywhere to get the steel line anymore?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=522535
v30crewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:26 PM   #30
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by v30crewcab View Post
is there anywhere to get the steel line anymore?
Yes, steel tubing is still available but it's not as easy to find as copper in this size. One source I've found is Lincoln Industrial. Their part number 62175 is a 25 foot roll of 1/8" OD steel tubing.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:29 PM   #31
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemade87 View Post
Copper tubing does become harder over time . If not properly looped for stress relief the vibration will crack it premature . You are correct that copper can fail , this is why the auto industries does not use it . I even had to replace the copper tubing on my air compressor a couple times . Not good in a vibration environment .

I disagree on the generalization of the copper line work hardening. It depends on the type of copper. The copper oil pressure lines I sell are made from 1/8" refrigeration copper that is designed for installation in areas that are subject to heat, cold, vibration, and high pressure. Most of the original lines were mild steel tubing and some of them had a piece of vacuum type hose over the line, I presume to help dampen vibration. Also, some of them were one piece and some of them were two piece with a coupler at the firewall.

Everyone needs to do what they feel comfortable with. I have used the copper oil lines on all of my builds since 2004 with no issues. That would be 6 trucks and 2 Hot Rods......

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 02:23 AM   #32
Short 3/4

Great thread.
Kind of on the same subject, when I ran my new oil line I put a T fitting in at the block so I could run both a gauge and an idiot light sender. Figure with something as important as oil pressure, I want a belt AND suspenders.
NoSpin HO72 4.10 rear
Short 3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:13 PM   #33
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Hey Leon,

So this is what I was explaining that I have on my gauge now - which is how it came to me. The copper line behind the gauge has just as much copper line, if not more, under the dash as the engine bay. Which in the engine bay it has about the right amount with the 1 and 1/2 loops.

When I put the new line in, the engine side doesn't leak but the new male ferrule would leak between the fitting and line (at the gauge). I took the fitting as far as I felt comfortable with. So could this frankenstein setup of adaptors have messed up the gauge causing it not to seal with the proper male ferrule fitting?

Also, to add to this drama when I pulled the new line out of the gauge the fitting somehow slipped off and I cannot get it back on to try again. I was thinking perhaps I needed to re-adjust the line into the gauge. So I guess this all doesn't matter... ugh.

Edit:
Actually, looking at LostMy65 photo, perhaps I have a 3rd adapter? The black-ish nut, where the 1st of two brass adapter are connecting into? See re-uploaded photo with pretty colored/numbered boxes. I hadn't taken out what is outlined with the #1 Purple Box.
Attached Images

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim

Last edited by Rich72C10; 04-13-2021 at 01:41 PM.
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:01 PM   #34
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich72C10 View Post
Hey Leon,

So this is what I was explaining that I have on my gauge now - which is how it came to me. The copper line behind the gauge has just as much copper line, if not more, under the dash as the engine bay. Which in the engine bay it has about the right amount with the 1 and 1/2 loops.

When I put the new line in, the engine side doesn't leak but the new male ferrule would leak between the fitting and line (at the gauge). I took the fitting as far as I felt comfortable with. So could this frankenstein setup of adaptors have messed up the gauge causing it not to seal with the proper male ferrule fitting?

Also, to add to this drama when I pulled the new line out of the gauge the fitting somehow slipped off and I cannot get it back on to try again. I was thinking perhaps I needed to re-adjust the line into the gauge. So I guess this all doesn't matter... ugh.

Edit:
Actually, looking at LostMy65 photo, perhaps I have a 3rd adapter? The black-ish nut, where the 1st of two brass adapter are connecting into? See re-uploaded photo with pretty colored/numbered boxes. I hadn't taken out what is outlined with the #1 Purple Box.

Looks like they kind of cobbled that up for sure. The black nut in your Purple box is the nut that holds the gauge in the metal plate. Leave that. You should be able to take a small punch or nail set and open the hole in the fitting back up enough to get the line back through it. Just don't go too far with it. Just enough for the line to slide through it. Be sure and push in on the oil line while you are tightening the fitting up.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 04:03 PM   #35
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

nice tip Leon - that I can do!

Its a real pain these lines LOL

Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Old 04-25-2021, 12:51 PM   #36
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

I couldn't find anything that really worked well to "open up" the fitting - all I did was mess it up. So I grabbed one off of Amazon.

Finally got to installing it today and I insured I had enough line into the gauge - I actually installed the gauge side first. After getting it snugged down, no leaking!

The line I took out was 5ft long! I could have likely mounted a oil gauge in the bed of the truck with that old line! LOL

Old 07-01-2023, 09:09 PM   #37
cjnelson654

Hi! My name is Chris Nelson and I'm having a helluva time finding the correct line for the mechanical oil gauge on my 72 chevy! I know this is an old thread, but I'm new to this group and not sure how to direct message..... is there any way I can buy one of these from you?! Thanks!
cjnelson654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 07:55 AM   #38
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Hey Chris, I see that you found the thread where Leon was selling the oil line - though looks like he is out. That's a bummer, hopefully someone else has a tip or going to a big truck shop will help. Good luck

Old 07-02-2023, 08:51 AM   #39
cjnelson654

Yeah I hope so! I'll try and find something that works! Thanks for letting me know! I did get a PM from him telling me that he was out of it too.... the search continues.....
cjnelson654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 11:48 AM   #40
70STOVEBOLT

Chris, if you subscribe to the board, you can place a WTB ad on the parts board. Someone likely has a good used line they would sell.

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks

Coming soon: EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23