The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2021, 02:48 PM   #1
burnin oil

55-59 brake light switch

Stupid question here. Is the factory brake light switch spring loaded? I have been working on geting the 57 GMC back on the road and found that the brake light switch had a big spring wrapped around the brake pedal and I know this was a backyard repair. I am just not sure if if the switch was spring loaded or if it attaches to the pedal in some fashion. I would attach a picture of what's there but it's really busy right there with PTO cables and the SBC exhaust is pretty close for getting the phone in there for a clear shot. Thanks.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 05:57 PM   #2
Divine 59

Re: 55-59 brake light switch

The arm is spring loaded, but the spring is inside the assembly. There is no spring visible on the factory brake light switch part. I lifted this image off ebay.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/15105...-1/s-l1000.jpg
Old 09-23-2021, 06:00 PM   #3
Divine 59

To further explain, the arm of the brake light switch is between the brake pedal and the firewall. When the brake pedal is depressed the arm on the brake switch swings out with the brake pedal and energizes the circuit (acts as a switch) for the brake lights.
Old 09-23-2021, 08:45 PM   #4
_Ogre

here's a couple pics of the stock switch installed, the spring hold it out and on
the pedal will push it to the floor boards and in the off position
Attached Images

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:57 PM   #5
burnin oil

Thanks guy's. That is what my switch looks like with the exception of some holes drilled in the arm that are so dirty the could be original. There is a spring that is obviously way newer hooked to the arm and wrapped around the brake pedal winding back on the switch arm to activate. The arm just flops without the added spring but it still triggers the brake lights. The trucks wiring is beyond sketchy and full of of scotch locks and resembles trailer light wiring! I bought a cheap universal harness to limp her through to rebuild but haven't installed it yet. Currently the fuel gauge light comes on with the brake lights. For now i just need the basics.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:51 AM   #6
burnin oil

Just for a fun update. Whoever botched the scotch lock wiring job got it so the headlights and markers turn on and off when the brakes are applied. This is going to be fun. I spent some time last night sorting through a $40 amazon special universal harness and a cheap turn signal switch. Hopefully I can get to installing it in the next couple of days. The old girl needs some TLC but managed to haul 19 tons of gravel for the driveway on Friday. A dump bed sure is alot easier than using a shovel.
Old 09-26-2021, 05:36 PM   #7
MiraclePieCo

Here ya go. Glad I could help.
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2021, 10:41 PM   #8
burnin oil

That right there is special. I started rewiring the tail end today and judging by the amount of different wire used to go 10 feet, I think that switch cost a little to much. The only things missing were speaker wire and old extension cords. Definatly rewired with whatever was on hand.
Old 09-27-2021, 12:05 PM   #9
_Ogre

scotch locks should be illegal to install or sell
anyone installing one should have bamboo shoots under the fingernails

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 01:45 PM   #10
mr48chev

The Brake light switch should be a Standard SLS40 or equivalent.

https://store.fillingstation.com/det...HT_SWITCH.html

A lot of parts listings don't show the switch as being for a 59 though as Standard calls it a six volt switch.

That switch was probably about 3.00 when some cheap skate decided to "fix" it rather than replace it.

If your wife is like mine she will find a lot of projects for that truck with the hoist. Along with the gravel for the driveway, Bark/mulch and clean top soil come to mind. Along with hauling stuff off to the dump.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 05:10 PM   #11
burnin oil

We have all kinds of ideas for the dump bed. More gravel needs hauled, a ton of saplings need trimmed out and even more brush to go to the burn pit.

I will keep that switch info handy. As of now the truck has turn signals all around and brake lights but the the markers need tied into the headlight switch. We had to run to town so I grabbed some new headlights since one was burnt out.

Near future projects are a new doughnut for the driveshaft and pulling a Part number off a leaking front wheel cylinder. The hoist also has a seal leak so I need to try and figure out if the obsolete parts are available. All in the name of keeping her running 2-3 more years until rebuild.