The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2021, 01:55 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Under hood wiring

Had my brother over the other day to help me take the hood off the C30 (Im having weird physical health issues and am unable to lift something like this by myself right now). But now I can take the rest of the front end sheet metal off by myself, not even close to as cumbersome as a hood.

I was going to try and go through and save the wiring but am seeing lots of previous owner "mods". I have an extra AAW kit for our trucks and have decided to go ahead and use the engine bay part of the kit. Not sure what's going on under the dash yet, may have to use the rest for that.

I'm going to keep the auxiliary battery and I think the headlight relay upgrade that I keep reading about is a good idea.

Looking to find out where I can get an entire new auxiliary battery harness, I dont see Koop selling them anymore. Also would like to know where you guys are getting your headlight relay kits.

And lastly what other upgrades would you do electrically up front while I have this all apart? Head light upgrades might be an idea, but I really dislike the any lights that lose the stock-ish look no matter how great the light is.

Here is the mess as she sits today haha!

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 02:54 PM   #2
truckster

Re: Under hood wiring

First of all, I don't know anyone who thinks removing a hood by yourself is a good idea.

The previous owner of my Blazer had hacked the wiring in all kinds of weird ways. There were wire nuts everywhere. I rewired the whole truck.

As far as upgrades, I put in relays for the headlights and replaced the headlights with Hella headlights. They're a little flatter than the stock headlights, but aside from that you can't tell they're not stock, and they put out great light.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also put in a CS130 alternator, but that was primarily because I used the serpentine system from a 98 Chevy truck.

One word of advice: take lots of pictures and label everything. If you're like me, you won't remember everything you think you will.
Old 02-20-2021, 03:31 PM   #3
68 P.O.S.

Headlight relays, internal regulated alternator, and a HEI are great upgrades. Also, check the bulkhead connector wiring to make sure it matches up with the AAW wiring.
Old 02-20-2021, 03:43 PM   #4
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I have a box of small freezer bags that I use for nuts and bolts, they have a little spot on them just for labeling.

I forgot to mention Ill be going with the HEI. If the bulkhead isn't a match Ill for sure go ahead and install the under dash part of the AAW. Haven't given the alternator much thought since mines working fine, but you are correct I should at least think a little harder on that one.

Old 02-20-2021, 03:58 PM   #5
truckster

I forgot about the HEI. I've been running one for years, and they work great.
Old 02-20-2021, 05:04 PM   #6
jimijam00

You can build your own headlight relay harness pretty easily.
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 05:14 PM   #7
REDROCKER652002

If I was going to do what you are doing I would just rip all the wiring out and replace it all with the AAW stuff. If you already have it, why not, it is not difficult, and you can clean up the underdash and engine bay nicely. Just me .02, and that's about all it is worth LOL
REDROCKER652002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 07:47 PM   #8
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Might want to check out Mad Electrical - he might likely have something for your battery. But you'll have to call him up and I would expect a long chat (he is a talker but all great information).

Not only is there is there a relay upgrade for headlights but for the starter too.

As for headlights, I do like my Dapper Lighting OE7-Glass LEDs... closest I could get to a stock look with LEDs.

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 08:02 PM   #9
CG
BlahBlahBlah

The Dapper headlights are pretty nice looking. And with all new harness and all fresh grounds it sounds as though there is no need for the relay setup I was thinking about. At least that's the understanding I got from their videos.

Old 02-20-2021, 08:12 PM   #10
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Likely true but I rather not have any of that (unneeded) extra power going through the dash/headlight switch.

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:02 PM   #11
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
The Dapper headlights are pretty nice looking. And with all new harness and all fresh grounds it sounds as though there is no need for the relay setup I was thinking about. At least that's the understanding I got from their videos.
Relays are a good way to save your switches. High current through switches causes arcing, which is one of the main reasons switches fail.
Old 02-20-2021, 10:26 PM   #12
MAC71Cheyenne

VetteVet has a good tutorial on the headlight relays and HEI. Can be found first up in the electrical forum. I followed his instructions and replaced the headlights with Sylvania halogen lights. Goal was better light with out blinding everyone else on the road. Brighter, whiter, and no high amp draw through the headlight switch. Saves burning up the headlight switch or worse. After all the mess with the PO's attempt at the HEI if I was going to do it all over I would stick with a late 70's early 80's GM HEI dist and cap with out all the computer crap. If you have a tach, take out the resister in the tach wire or replace the harness with a new on and wallah!, tach works.
Just my 2 cents...
MAC71Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 06:21 AM   #13
my kids toy

I just installed a head light harness from classic parts it was a plug and play harness.
https://www.classicparts.com/Headlam...ctinfo/52-298/
my kids toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:30 PM   #14
firedemon

do the headlight relays even if you dont change the bulbs . they will be a little brighter and put less of a load on your switches . always good on 50 year old switches and connections. if your going to do the alt watch out for valve cover to alt clearance although it looks like your running a bigblock im not sure if they have that problem .
firedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:23 PM   #15
weq92f

I suggest getting a bus bar to consolidate all your power leads in one spot ( pictures shows you may have something there by the passenger battery ).

Then take the time to understand where each of them goes and whether or not it needs a fusible link at the bus bar connection. Follow through with the installation of the fusible links ( bad things can happen with non fused power -- I have recent experience ).

I run my alt power directly to the bus bar rather than to either the battery or the starter. If you have the 3 wire alt, the sense wire would also go to the bus bar.

Hth,

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 02:04 PM   #16
CG
BlahBlahBlah

The AAW comes with all new switches. But you guys are correct, I really need to go check out Vettes faq stuff. I can see where a relay set up is still a good idea.

My goal is to remove the rest of the front sheet metal this week (depends on how my joints and muscles are holding up), do a detail of more cleaning and paint, and start to reassemble (fingers crossed).

Old 02-21-2021, 04:18 PM   #17
HO455
Post Whore

I wasn't able to find the post, but I am sure that someone was able to get the auxiliary battery harness from M&H. They don't show it on the website but can make it. And if I am mistaken about M&H try AAW.

I installed a pair of old Hella lights in my Burban, but had to modify the core support to make them fit. Others have not had this problem, so it may be a 67 only thing, or it might be my 30 year old lights. Link to my repair thread scroll to post 105.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=698377&page=5
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:16 PM   #18
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Under hood wiring

Adding a headlight relay harness isn't bad at all. You can buy one from several vendors are make one for cheap. I made all 4 of mine going about 10 years now. Hasn't failed yet in the 71 C-10.

The newer alternator with a internal regulator is a good way to go and it's a easy swap with the 94amp one its a direct bolt in. Uses the factory brackets and the wiring is easy. There are several write ups in the electrical section.

I found this for the battery harnesses.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26310218775...4aAuxZEALw_wcB
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:28 PM   #19
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Adding a headlight relay harness isn't bad at all. You can buy one from several vendors are make one for cheap. I made all 4 of mine going about 10 years now. Hasn't failed yet in the 71 C-10.

The newer alternator with a internal regulator is a good way to go and it's a easy swap with the 94amp one its a direct bolt in. Uses the factory brackets and the wiring is easy. There are several write ups in the electrical section.

I found this for the battery harnesses.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26310218775...4aAuxZEALw_wcB
Oh nice find, and a reasonable price ... thanks!