The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2021, 02:58 PM   #576
vintovka

Re: Post your C/L finds for everyone to enjoy!

Needs to sell fast as it will be a pile of rust debris soon. Ocean salt is as good as acid.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 03:01 PM   #577
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
ZERO respect for CHP after that.
i lost all respect for anyone in uniform (military exception) as a teenager
and they have continued to get lower as i age, right now with BLM they're in a deep hole
not really BLM, it's been going on for centuries, it just enrages me now that we all have cameras in our pockets

now back to our regularly scheduled truck forum ...

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:06 PM   #578
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
that guy has a bad case of jacksonbaretteitis, so bad it may not be curable
it is deluxe and rare
Might be a bad case of talking to the guys down at the coffee shop. Bad part is that there are a bunch of new to the hobby guys running around with pockets full of spending money wanting cabs like that to do S-10 swaps so they can be one of the cool guys who are clueless to real word prices.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:22 PM   #579
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Might be a bad case of talking to the guys down at the coffee shop. Bad part is that there are a bunch of new to the hobby guys running around with pockets full of spending money wanting cabs like that to do S-10 swaps so they can be one of the cool guys who are clueless to real word prices.
This seems correct. If part prices, supply and labor continue to go nuts restoration will rapidly be beyond the means of 95% of the population. Fixing up anything from houses to cars may be economically impossible.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:21 PM   #580
mr48chev

That seems to be the general thing around here, You ask a guy about a truck or car that he has had sitting in his field for 20 years and would have sold for scrap if he knew what scrap prices were a few years ago and he mentions that someone asked about it down at the cafe at the morning coffee and BS session and his cronies start telling him it is worth times over what it should sell for.

If you watch Iron Reresection as much as I like Martin Brother's work they pay crazy prices for what amount to hulks for project rigs and I think that is making guys think their stuff is just as spendy. ,

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:48 PM   #581
vintovka

The way steel prices have gone many restorable parts may disappear into the shredder. New made metal Replacement parts (even wire) may also be priced out of range.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:22 AM   #582
mick53

Prices and availability are crazy right now. I just paid about $6 a foot for square tube 1 3/4" to 2 1/4 ". It took me 3 weeks to get an ARP bolt from Summit. It's nearly impossible to get a custom piston or cam made right now. There is way to much money in the economy. The definition of inflation is too much money chasing too few goods. A lot of my parts are out of warranty by the time I put them on but right now that doesn't seem so bad.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:58 AM   #583
vintovka

Angry Re: Post your C/L finds for everyone to enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
Prices and availability are crazy right now. I just paid about $6 a foot for square tube 1 3/4" to 2 1/4 ". It took me 3 weeks to get an ARP bolt from Summit. It's nearly impossible to get a custom piston or cam made right now. There is way to much money in the economy. The definition of inflation is too much money chasing too few goods. A lot of my parts are out of warranty by the time I put them on but right now that doesn't seem so bad.
Never spent so much $$ on stuff and its getting worse as competition for supplies and services are becoming vicious. Serious damage has already been done to economy and it cannot continue. Current regime is behind it.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:34 PM   #584
mr48chev

There are lots of factors involved in prices going up.

First probably the "saw one like it se;; for _______ on a TV show syndrome. Some of those guys on shows seem to pay way above regular market value for a lot of stuff.

Right now, the lack of people working due to restrictions makes everything hard to get. A well known rod shop owner who manufactures some popular products was saying the other day that the job shop machine shop is having a hard time getting the basic materials that they make some critical pieces of one kit out of. That is just steel plate and round rod.

Fuel costs drive the price of everything up. Especially if you live out where Vintovka does. Where the rest of us dream of going on vacation to but where just about everything they get comes in on a minimum 4 or 5 hour truck ride.

Old 04-17-2021, 01:42 PM   #585
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
There are lots of factors involved in prices going up.

First probably the "saw one like it se;; for _______ on a TV show syndrome. Some of those guys on shows seem to pay way above regular market value for a lot of stuff.

Right now, the lack of people working due to restrictions makes everything hard to get. A well known rod shop owner who manufactures some popular products was saying the other day that the job shop machine shop is having a hard time getting the basic materials that they make some critical pieces of one kit out of. That is just steel plate and round rod.

Fuel costs drive the price of everything up. Especially if you live out where Vintovka does. Where the rest of us dream of going on vacation to but where just about everything they get comes in on a minimum 4 or 5 hour truck ride.
I know we are WAY OT but extraordinary/scary times justify it. Everyone in US including craigslist will be affected.

We are just an hour from Eugene (2nd largest city in OR). Supplies in Eugene are very tough, if not impossible to get and empty shelves are a common sight. The supply/availability of every other needed parts (including auto) are down to what's either left in stock or remaining raw materials at factories. When these are gone that will be it. Banks are is quietly shutting down construction/improvement loans due to huge risk factors. Many projects may flat die and others delayed beyond any reasonable period of time do this seemingly intentional supply chain derailment,

In short the SHTF already, we are just awaiting delivery.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:59 PM   #586
svr

The supply struggle is real, here at the farm pvc pipe is none existent, same with electrical conduit, anything plastic, can still get fuel but price is rediculous, anything with computer chips is touch and go, was told yesterday DEF is getting short. Stock up on food bullets and fuel when you can not when you have to.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:46 PM   #587
vintovka

Just to Add fuel to fire. Signs warning regular gas is out at some stations here and local bank is hinting at limiting cash withdrawals Hardware store says steel hardware and paint may be getting scarce. Fred Meyer (kroger) staff told me today they may close both their hardware and paint depts. Some may be regretting voting for current regime big time.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:41 AM   #588
mick53

I'm bidding on an Oreilly's Auto parts in Illinois right now. I have built several of these and they are all pretty much the same. This ones price is an increase in the six digits over the one I built in Wisconsin a year and a half ago.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 12:04 PM   #589
mr48chev

A sheet of 7/16 OSB is 52.80 this morning at Lowes in Union Gap. A Douglas Fir 8 Ft 2x4 stud is 9.03 The I am building work bench give me the cheap ones are 2x4s are 7.59.

I bought a bundle of 1oo salvage 2x6 that are 7 ft long from a guy in Boardman Oregon last fall for 200 that may be the real bargain now. I figure to use them on the sides of my pole building that I am using hop poles for the poles. I can dig an extra hole or two to get the spacing right.

Old 04-18-2021, 01:16 PM   #590
vintovka

Since we are miles OT here's a Realtime trickle down effect. Fixer house went for sale at half current market value. Guy took loan to buy it and another to fix it. Bank pulled funds on construction loan due to cost of labor, supplies and availability of both. House is partially tore up and property may be down to less than land value. Heard buyer is walking and bank will get stuck with another loser. Multiply t this by several million others and voila -- both mental and financial depression. Both are welcomed by our foreign and domestic enemies. Farfetched? just go to Lowes.
Old 04-18-2021, 04:00 PM   #591
Dannny B

I tried to start a thread on economics in general discussion. Unfortunately, I touched on politics and, the thread did not fly.
I've been writing about economics on a different board since 2007. I'll put up a link if it doesn't incur any problems.
Suffice it to say that "they" printed up $27 billion each and every day of 2020.
Price inflation isn't a surprise.
Dannny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 04:10 PM   #592
vintovka

Without restoration/repair materials being available (or at a reasonable cost) the hobby will end abruptly. Worse, forum topics will go from that new dash or engine part to i can't afford food. That's assuming the cost of net service stays affordable.
Old 04-18-2021, 04:53 PM   #593
Dannny B

As you all know, LMC trucks is a godsend to us collectors.
https://www.lmctruck.com/chevrolet
We would mostly be stopped dead without them when it comes to restoration.
I talked to Chucks Trucks to buy parts from my Marmon Herrington F-900
He told me that he immediately takes off the "made in China" labels.
I replied, the Americans have no interest in this market so God bless the Chinese.
That gave him pause but, he finally had to agree.
Dannny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:02 PM   #594
dsraven

In Canada, you know, where we have lots of softwood, I stopped to grab a sheet of treated 1/2"plywood. The kid told me it would be $90. I found another method to accomplish the same thing.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:26 PM   #595
vintovka

Contractors are about done bidding jobs on completed price and switched to time and materials. I will wait till they completely run out of supplies and are begging for work from folks who planned ahead. Trying to stay ahead so ordered/got almost all my lumber and metal needs already. Metal garage, All new appliances (fridge, w/d, DW, freezer). wire and steel electrical boxes for new garage (nail on plastic ARE GONE)/ nails, gutters and gutter guards the works. Also stocked up on Wire and plumbing fixtures. 60K now will be 120K in 2 months or less. Supposed to get a new 30 ton gas powered log splitter tomorrow -- we shall see. I ordered it and one minute later showed "OUT OF STOCK" at Lowes. Think they are adding a button to show "IN STOCK ONLY" on all products. Gonna be a damn short list i'll bet.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:14 PM   #596
nvrdone

hey - i thought this was about craigslist finds - not the problems with building materials and other products. what did i miss ?????
49 chevy 3100 3 window. 327 / m21 4 spd, 12 bolt w/ 3:55's
Bought in 1973 for $235.00. Had it longer than my wife & Kids!!
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:25 PM   #597
vintovka

I'd love to just post craigslist finds. But its time to face reality. Both the economy and the nation are in serious trouble and sadly no-one is immune.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:14 AM   #598
nvrdone

i agree the world is in a bad place right now. but if we want to discuss those problems, why not start a new post tilted" the world is a mess" or some such thing. then leave this post for craiglist finds.
49 chevy 3100 3 window. 327 / m21 4 spd, 12 bolt w/ 3:55's
Bought in 1973 for $235.00. Had it longer than my wife & Kids!!
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 10:26 AM   #599
Rickysnickers

Let's stop touching on political things and get back to the topic at hand. I'd really rather not close this thread.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 12:08 PM   #600
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
Let's stop touching on political things and get back to the topic at hand. I'd really rather not close this thread.
...or have it closed for us.
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote