The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2014, 12:50 AM   #101
no1udknow

Re: 68 c10 2wd in Sacramento, CA

Look at this one though, it's the same way, http://rides.customclassictrucks.com.../photos/2.html
My build : 68 C10 Short Bed Conversion
no1udknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:42 PM   #102
no1udknow

Today I finished bolting down the bed, and drilled the new bolt holes in the rear of the bed. I was reinstalling the tailgate when I noticed this little enigma.

question: What do you do if you have a rusty hole in the bottom of your tailgate? Do you:
A.) get a new tailgate?
or
B.) weld in a patch and Bondo and shape it?

apparently the answer is:
C.) Head in to your kitchen and grab some tin foil, stuff it in the hole to use as backing, and pile on the Bondo!

Old 10-09-2014, 10:45 PM   #103
no1udknow

Anyways, I finished bolting down the bed, piled in all my extra parts, and loaded it on the trailer to come home!

do you ever feel like you are being followed???
Old 10-09-2014, 10:59 PM   #104
no1udknow

Today on the way home I was totally vindicated in my love of Chevys.....

I was on my way home in my 2001 GMC Sierra (pictured above) It has 283,000 miles on it and runs like a top. I was towing my 68 home on a 2 axle car trailer (also pictured above) and I needed some gas. So I pulled up to the pump behind a early 2000's full size Ford pickup. We finished fueling up at the same time and I climbed in old trusy, and fired it up when I heard the Ford "reeer, reeeeeeer, rrruuuuurr,". I knew I had jumper cables so I hoped out and asked the guy if he needed a jump. He said it was a stick and he would try to bump start it after the exit lane was clear. I told him I would push him if he needed it. He glanced at my truck with the trailer and the 68 in tow and said "do you think you will be able too?", To which I replied "Hell yeah". SO.... With my 68 in tow on a trailer, I pushed his truck for a half a block till it started.

Old 10-10-2014, 01:03 AM   #105
Saclandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1udknow View Post
Today on the way home I was totally vindicated in my love of Chevys.....

I was on my way home in my 2001 GMC Sierra (pictured above) It has 283,000 miles on it and runs like a top. I was towing my 68 home on a 2 axle car trailer (also pictured above) and I needed some gas. So I pulled up to the pump behind a early 2000's full size Ford pickup. We finished fueling up at the same time and I climbed in old trusy, and fired it up when I heard the Ford "reeer, reeeeeeer, rrruuuuurr,". I knew I had jumper cables so I hoped out and asked the guy if he needed a jump. He said it was a stick and he would try to bump start it after the exit lane was clear. I told him I would push him if he needed it. He glanced at my truck with the trailer and the 68 in tow and said "do you think you will be able too?", To which I replied "Hell yeah". SO.... With my 68 in tow on a trailer, I pushed his truck for a half a block till it started.

Hahahaha! Love it. My 2002 Tahoe has 270k miles and still runs excellent.

1967 Chevy C20 Longbed Stepside w/283 and 4spdSOLD
2002 Chevy Tahoe 4X4 5.3L SOLD
2015 Chevy Silverado Crew 4X4 5.3L
Saclandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:55 PM   #106
no1udknow

Quick update, I have been working on the 68 at home a little. I've been grinding down my welds in prep for bondo work. I had not really driven the truck much as I need a new taillight. So yesterday I took it for a little test drive. I got back and opened the hood to make some carb adjustments and to check the timing when I noticed the engine wire harness was smoking. i shut the truck off and grabbed the harness and it was hot to the touch. I peeled back the coating and there are a few melted wires. I think I am going to just rewire the whole truck with some larger gauge wire, make a headlight harness, and build the new charging harness to handle an internally regulated alternator.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:56 PM   #107
no1udknow

oh... side note, on further inspection, the fuse box is all rusty at every terminal. It looks like I may be replacing that too.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:05 PM   #108
jimbosprint

Does it have a fusible link? That should melt before the rest of the wiring.
jimbosprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:29 PM   #109
no1udknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbosprint View Post
Does it have a fusible link? That should melt before the rest of the wiring.
I dont see one, and frankly I don't want to take the cjance, I've seen how an electrical fire under the hood plays out and I'm not interested
Old 10-25-2014, 11:40 AM   #110
crazychevyc10

Wow!! Amazing job! I saw those rims in Craigslist too!! I totally was going to buy it too lol! I'm in Elk Grove maybe we ll see each other driving one day! Keep up the work
crazychevyc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 01:38 AM   #111
no1udknow

Well I got back under the hood today after some convincing from my new apprentice.

"I think I see the problem Dad"

"Don't worry. ..I'll fix it"
Old 10-26-2014, 01:52 AM   #112
no1udknow

I found that there was a circuit that had been cut, and another wire attached to it. It appears to be power for an electric choke. The end was an open eyelet and it was taped up against the firewall and the tape gave loose letting it lay on the manifold which caused it to short out and melt that one wire.... I clipped it and stubbed it properly. Ran the truck, and no more smoking wires. It did melt a section of the primary wire for the coil so I ran a new 12g wire from the fuse box in preperation for my HEI. I also diagnosed my non operating headlights to the floor switch but I intend to redo the switch and make a headlight relay harness. I pulled the plugs to see how the color was. I think I need to do valve seals I am seeing a bit of oil but I don't think it's rings, the motor doesn't have many miles on it but it did sit for many years.

I drovebtge truck around and it does have an oil leak around one of the valve covers, and it sounds like I have a substantial exhaust leak to track down.... getting that "flap flap flap" sound when I stomp on it. Other than that it needs some adjusting and I will feel comfortable driving it to work to lower it.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:20 PM   #113
jimbosprint

Good job finding that electrical issue without having to rewire everything.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:31 PM   #114
no1udknow

just an update....I have done nothing lately. I couldn't afford the registration so I put it on no op. I did a little sanding on the front fender, but it has become apparent that I will need to take it to work and hit it with the d/a (my little compressor at home can only run it for about 2 minutes), but no tags means o driving it to work. I also need money to work on the suspension. need some lowering springs in the rear. I've taken on a 2nd job on the weekends so hopefully I can get a little breathing room.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #115
crazychevyc10

Quote:
just an update....I have done nothing lately. I couldn't afford the registration so I put it on no op. I did a little sanding on the front fender, but it has become apparent that I will need to take it to work and hit it with the d/a (my little compressor at home can only run it for about 2 minutes), but no tags means o driving it to work. I also need money to work on the suspension. need some lowering springs in the rear. I've taken on a 2nd job on the weekends so hopefully I can get a little breathing room.

i feel you on that too buddy. i have to take one item,at a time haha
crazychevyc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 04:24 PM   #116
Saclandman

I've given myself a $200 budget each month for truck stuff. Doesn't take much to eat that up. Little stuff adds up pretty quick.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:38 AM   #117
benner

Quote:
You've come a long way no1udknow, having read your original post at start. Quite an undertaking! Would like to put a short wide, stepside on mine for looks, but alas, that would mess with my practicality, carrying capacity for pine needles and wood hauling! So maybe just dreamin' again...

Blacked out 1970 CST, C 20. Hardcore Work Truck with 350, Edelbrock 750, RPM High Rise, Flow-Masters, Black wheels and a Log Wood Rack. One Hot Worktruck.
benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:42 AM   #118
gt40racing

Good work!
gt40racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 01:32 PM   #119
no1udknow

A little update. I found a new parts shop that is literally less than a mile from work. I happened to be perusing Sacramento CL for 67-72 parts, and I saw an ad for a new shop in the old Chevyland building down the street, so I had to go check it out. They have a nice catalog full of parts for my truck at compareable prices to CPP and LMC, but with them being so close I won't have to pay shipping. So I rolled over there and picked up some taillight lenses for 8.99 each, and got my taillights squared away. Now all my lights work. Next order of business is the wipers and heater/blower system so I can start driving it to work occasionally.

The shop here has a website too (this is not a promotion and I have no affiliation with them, just want to share for my local guys) http://www.supermuscleparts.com
Old 12-05-2014, 01:40 PM   #120
jimbosprint

Someone up here just recommended that place to me a week ago. I might have to go check it out next time I am in Sacramento.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:36 AM   #121
dmack91

A quick question on your front suspension swap.

When you swapped to the newer crossmember, did you swap in the newer steering box also? If so, was it a direct bolt-in? My understanding is that if you don't swap the box, you will have to get some weird tie rod adapters.

Any progress on your truck?
dmack91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:05 PM   #122
Saclandman

Quote:
A little update. I found a new parts shop that is literally less than a mile from work. I happened to be perusing Sacramento CL for 67-72 parts, and I saw an ad for a new shop in the old Chevyland building down the street, so I had to go check it out. They have a nice catalog full of parts for my truck at compareable prices to CPP and LMC, but with them being so close I won't have to pay shipping. So I rolled over there and picked up some taillight lenses for 8.99 each, and got my taillights squared away. Now all my lights work. Next order of business is the wipers and heater/blower system so I can start driving it to work occasionally.

The shop here has a website too (this is not a promotion and I have no affiliation with them, just want to share for my local guys) http://www.supermuscleparts.com
I've bought a few things from them. Seem like good folks.

Old 01-02-2015, 05:00 PM   #123
no1udknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmack91 View Post
A quick question on your front suspension swap.

When you swapped to the newer crossmember, did you swap in the newer steering box also? If so, was it a direct bolt-in? My understanding is that if you don't swap the box, you will have to get some weird tie rod adapters.

Any progress on your truck?
I did not swap the steering box. My truck did already have power steering, I don't know if that was a factory installed option, or something a PO installed. Basically I used every piece of the front suspension and it was a near perfect bolt in. The only things I modified were 2 sets of holes where the xmember bolted up (hogged one set out a little and d4illed new holes for the other) and then the shock mounts are kind of angled the wrong way but will still bolt in. It just tweaks the bushings at the end of the shock. But I am going to build a new shock mount anyways. As far as the steering though, I unbolted the pitman arm from the steering box and the idler arm from the frame, and they bolted right in to my 68. I didn't take apart the tie rods or anything, just swapped it as an entire assy.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:29 PM   #124
dmack91

Thanks, that is what I wanted to hear. His 68 already has power steering so I will do as you and just transfer everything but the box.

I am also assuming we will need to use the newer master cylinder and booster as the old MC was set up for drum/drum.

Thanks again.
dmack91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:20 PM   #125
no1udknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmack91 View Post
Thanks, that is what I wanted to hear. His 68 already has power steering so I will do as you and just transfer everything but the box.

I am also assuming we will need to use the newer master cylinder and booster as the old MC was set up for drum/drum.

Thanks again.
Yes, also a pretty easy modification. I had to cut off part of the bracket from the m/c of the 85 because the top 2 holes wew not used, then I notchd the lower rh corner of the bracket to clear the steering column housing. If I were to do it again though, I would space the booster away from the fire wall about 1-2 inches because the column shifter hits the bottom. Then just lengthen the pushrod for the booster a little. I have a hard time puttin my truck in park sometimes.