The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2021, 12:27 AM   #1
REDROCKER652002

Front brake issue

A little background My son's truck is a 69 C10. After dealing with brake issues, we determined that the disc setup was from a 72 1/2 ton. Got it all worked out and new rotors, pads, bearings and lines. He just sent me a text to say he blew a bearing on the drivers side. He probably jacked up the spindle as well because he drove it home (about 2 blocks). I have not even looked at it yet as I am at work. We had the front end aligned and all seemed ok there, with the exception of new upper ball joints that were replaced. It could very well be that either he or I put the castle nut on too tight and that is the issue, but for now I am going to assume he is going to at least need new spindles. I don't have much info on the spindles that are in there, but it appears the truck is dropped by about 2 inches.

So, my question is, assuming he is going to need new spindles, where would be a good place to get them? Junk yards are probably out as I am not the type to rummage thru them if I can buy new. Or would it be better to get a whole new front setup that way we know what we have and it is all new? This is going to be a good time for me to suggest a front sway bar as well since we will have it on blocks for a bit while we get whatever he needs.

Any input on where to purchase items would be much appreciated.

RR
REDROCKER652002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 01:59 AM   #2
RustyPile

Re: Front brake issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDROCKER652002 View Post
A little background My son's truck is a 69 C10. After dealing with brake issues, we determined that the disc setup was from a 72 1/2 ton. Got it all worked out and new rotors, pads, bearings and lines. He just sent me a text to say he blew a bearing on the drivers side. He probably jacked up the spindle as well because he drove it home (about 2 blocks). I have not even looked at it yet as I am at work. We had the front end aligned and all seemed ok there, with the exception of new upper ball joints that were replaced. It could very well be that either he or I put the castle nut on too tight and that is the issue, but for now I am going to assume he is going to at least need new spindles. I don't have much info on the spindles that are in there, but it appears the truck is dropped by about 2 inches.

So, my question is, assuming he is going to need new spindles, where would be a good place to get them? Junk yards are probably out as I am not the type to rummage thru them if I can buy new. Or would it be better to get a whole new front setup that way we know what we have and it is all new? This is going to be a good time for me to suggest a front sway bar as well since we will have it on blocks for a bit while we get whatever he needs.

Any input on where to purchase items would be much appreciated.

RR
With all due respect, you're assuming a lot without having even looked at the truck.. Wheel bearings don't just "BLOW".. It's a progressive failure accompanied by a progressively louder noise.. Lot's of warnings before total failure.. IF it's a bearing failure, and that's a big IF, the best case is no damage occurred to other parts.. A simple bearing/race replacement will fix it.. IF it's actually a bearing failure and the spindle is damaged, most likely, you'll find the hub is damaged also.. First on the list is to determine what's happened and WHY..

CPP makes a good dropped spindle.. I deal with Summit because they ship free on orders over $99 and they're just a little over 100 miles from me.. Two days at the most to get stuff from them..

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...ped%20spindles
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:43 AM   #3
REDROCKER652002

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
With all due respect, you're assuming a lot without having even looked at the truck.. Wheel bearings don't just "BLOW".. It's a progressive failure accompanied by a progressively louder noise.. Lot's of warnings before total failure.. IF it's a bearing failure, and that's a big IF, the best case is no damage occurred to other parts.. A simple bearing/race replacement will fix it.. IF it's actually a bearing failure and the spindle is damaged, most likely, you'll find the hub is damaged also.. First on the list is to determine what's happened and WHY..

CPP makes a good dropped spindle.. I deal with Summit because they ship free on orders over $99 and they're just a little over 100 miles from me.. Two days at the most to get stuff from them..

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...ped%20spindles
I agree, I don't know what happened as of yet. I will check it out when I get home assuming my son has it apart and I can look. I have a feeling he might have tightened the castle nut too tight and burnt it up, thus breaking it apart, but again, you are right, I am just assuming.

Thank you for the input, I did look at Summit, and if he decides to go that route I will suggest it. Just looking for opinions on places to go should it need more than just a bearing. Worse case scenario we have to rebuild the whole thing, which would be expensive, but not a bad thing. At least then we will know what we have.
REDROCKER652002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:46 AM   #4
BigBird05

We love pictures. Both before tear down and the parts afterwards.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:24 AM   #5
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBird05 View Post
We love pictures. Both before tear down and the parts afterwards.
I totally agree with you.. Pictures talk louder than words..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:49 PM   #6
jimijam00

So, no front brake problem. Prolly need a thread title change.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:55 PM   #7
697498chevy

Few years ago my '69 C 10 was making noise when I pulled up to the guard gate at work . I drove it home ( 13 miles ) . Found the noise coming from the front left wheel . Bad wheel bearing . Also had to replace the hub as the race was spinning . Got one from the junkyard . Good luck !
697498chevy is offline   Reply With Quote