The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2021, 10:44 PM   #251
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Build that 71 402 already

Another favorite part, the flame arrestor I've never seen one installed less pictures. Come to think of it I didn't know what they looked like until well into this. Found a reproduction crank hose that was made to fit, says GM & it's ribbed too. Not sure on the clamp orientation yet, it be nice to have my air cleaner again

Come to think of it, assembled the choke as well, the old one was pulled off decades ago in favor of a manual choke. With help the original choke's been renewed, though I didn't run out for NOS. k0110 the right one for BBC, but somehow all the kits come with a #10 screw, my intake says #8.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 05-22-2021 at 11:15 AM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 06:10 PM   #252
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Always nice to install something you didn't have to begin with. Actually I had the upper fuel line tube at some point, but the charcoal can was removed when we R&R'd the engine in 1993, and subsequently the mechanic I used sometimes replaced the line when he installed a fuel pump with a return line, where he sent the vent tube to the return line.

Anyway, I think this came from Precision. Works great; not all that close on top to begin with, but easily workable. Not sure how close to original - but close enough. More or less posting this because vendors distinguish between A/C and not for their upper fuel lines, which is a misconception. Has nothing to do with A/C, and everything to do with whether or not the fuel pump has a return line.

Some other things installed of late, nobody said this end was going to be fun, it really is and I enjoy throwing away boxes too.

I found an NOS upper cowl air door years ago. I think it stuck around so long because a hole wasn't drilled for the spring I decided to use it over original, it's a little lighter, I'd like to see how it holds up. As for the actuator, it came off my 72 that rarely fails me for spare parts

OT: Wiper motors are stamped Delco made in Dayton Ohio. My parents would get a kick out of that born & raised. They always said Dayton was the leader in engineering.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 05-30-2021, 05:20 PM   #253
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Don't know why I bought the Fitz Money pit.

OT: My C20 Super has insulation around the tank but unless it was pulled at some point which I my 71 Deluxe doesn't. I wonder if that's common. I'll skip the insulation, just curious is all.

I'm going to use 1/8" neoprene for cushions, if they did a good job at factory then it overlaps for 1/4" along the bottom center of the tank. Here's how I found the cushions, I like how they slapped on two pieces on the RH wall only Think I'll reinstall it a pinch more symmetrical.
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2021, 12:55 AM   #254
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Shoot man, nobody told me too close to 2K to restore my compressor and that, what the puck?........Better be a nice paint job, wholly smokes. Apparently they rebuild the old dryers for 134A, good thing I put that thing away with the clips I had no idea what what New evap and condenser, other than that rebuild and doesn't include the evap. case. YIKES!, money pit.

Took WAY to long to get my fan and such installed, waiting for this and that. I used Fusion Satin spray bomb for plastic on just the top front section of the fan shroud, it was a little rough due the top takes most of the heat and melts the original clear coat of sorts. Just that section some reason, the top rear is the nicest of the shroud, my old one the same. I hit three times and am happy with the results so far, time will tell.

Rec'd some wiring and have more questions than answers, only harness I've looked at is little like the original, can't wait, so much fun
Attached Images

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 06-12-2021 at 01:07 AM.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:34 PM   #255
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Riddle me this............long story, but my temp. sender is in the RH head. I heard it was supposed to be the LH head, so I tried removing the plug from the LH head unsuccessfully, it's ceased and I figured it wasn't worth risking damage, so the RH head it is.

So I asked the vendor to request a provision for it. I received the harness, turns out these aren't custom harnesses really, they're standard per their design and that's what you get. They throw in various options into their harnesses for gauge or lights, and apparently provide for original, even if that means TCS if you care to order the harness.

At any rate, I double checked with the distributor for the GAUGE sender wire thinking their harness was for a TCS temp sender I know little about. He says it's absolutely for temp. gauge or light and they didn't alter the harness at all. So if the temp. sender is supposed to be on the LH head, why would the wire for it run to the RH side through the gutter?

Works out well right, but what the heck? Seems to me temp. to gauge or light IS supposed to be on the RH head. That said (cough!), the wire runs from the RH side to the LH head on my C20 Behind the block and over the intake & that. I don't know the history but it's seen plenty of changes previous owners. My project truck was changed along the way so can't speak for it. That and the valve cover clip they installed on the new harness implies LH head......ha!

Odd configuration if the gauge temp. sender is supposed to be LH head. Beyond their clip the harness fits better with the sender on the right.
Attached Images

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 06-15-2021 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:34 PM   #256
pjmoreland

I don't know how it was from the factory, but having the temp sender on the right side seems much cleaner to me in terms of wire routing. The temp wire can be bundled along with the starter motor wires. If it were on the left side, you'd have this one lone wire to run over there, either by draping it over the valve cover or by routing it under the exhaust manifold. Plus, the sender would be closer to the front of the engine if on the left, making the wire longer and more unsightly.

What are you going to do with that blue oil pressure wire? I'm assuming you've got a gauge cluster with an oil pressure gauge.
pjmoreland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:03 PM   #257
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
I don't know how it was from the factory, but having the temp sender on the right side seems much cleaner to me in terms of wire routing. The temp wire can be bundled along with the starter motor wires. If it were on the left side, you'd have this one lone wire to run over there, either by draping it over the valve cover or by routing it under the exhaust manifold. Plus, the sender would be closer to the front of the engine if on the left, making the wire longer and more unsightly.

What are you going to do with that blue oil pressure wire? I'm assuming you've got a gauge cluster with an oil pressure gauge.
I agree with the temp. gauge sensor goes on the RH head, I just installed the harness and everything fits like a glove, all their clips have a spot for them. If I knew where the anti-dieseling wire plugged in then I'd know LH vs RH head for sure. As it's wired that anti-dieseling wire leads to near the A/C compressor. Regardless I'm not restoring anti-dieseling.

The sensor is in the LH head in my C20, it's had lots of alterations so I can't speak for it. Yeah, the wire, which is probably an additional connection runs from the RH side behind and over the engine to the sender on the LH head, doesn't add up to me. It's possible a lot of these had a TCS sender on the LH head and folks use them for gauge instead, just guessing, I really don't know beyond the new harness doesn't require another wire, as is it connects to the sensor in the RH head like it's supposed to be there. May as well add a pic. where I'm at.

And as you perhaps eluded to, the elephant in the room, if a gauge temp. sender is supposed to be on the LH head, why route the wire to it with the rest of the harness through the firewall gutter to the RH side?

I was wrong above about the clip indicates the sender is on the LH head, just turn it "upside down" fits nicely. Currently I can't finish her up until I figure out what to do with the "R" terminal wire at the starter, my mini starter doesn't have that terminal, so I inquired with Delco, see what happens. The wire distributor says connect to "R" HEI or not. I'd rather not cut the wire, perhaps Delco has an idea. It's that or I'm taping that up for now. So much for "custom harnesses". Other than that the harness is super.

Except that oil pressure wire not sure what I'm doing with it. If I cut it the warranty is up. At a glance I'll tie it to the harness behind the engine block for now, perhaps snip & tape later on.
Attached Images

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 06-16-2021 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:22 PM   #258
pjmoreland

I'm used to looking at a SBC, so it surprised me how your temp sender is above the exhaust manifold. That definitely changes the wire routing requirements.

I'm surprised they included the yellow "R" wire in your harness since you chose the HEI option. Where does that wire come from? Is it teed into the HEI BAT wire? I eliminated that wire from my factory harness when it converted it for HEI.
Old 06-17-2021, 12:26 AM   #259
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
I'm used to looking at a SBC, so it surprised me how your temp sender is above the exhaust manifold. That definitely changes the wire routing requirements.

I'm surprised they included the yellow "R" wire in your harness since you chose the HEI option. Where does that wire come from? Is it teed into the HEI BAT wire? I eliminated that wire from my factory harness when it converted it for HEI.
Their harnesses are multi-purpose, at least this one is with TCS, idle stop and anti-dieseling. So for that, lights and/or gauges. I don't know where my anti-dieseling was connected obviously, wasn't connected at the dash panel either, but the wiring inside was loose. Apparently custom means harnesses are made to suit everyone though the package reads "HEI Harness". Other than that their harnesses are built very well, so far.

Doesn't seem right anti-diesel is at the compressor, though the compressor is part of that system. I don't care, it even looks nice loose My old harness didn't have a wire for it. I may shrink wrap the cuts, and I'd like a good tape like they used along the engine. Could put a single connect for temp sender, but the fit is so good as is and not much wire to spare, not sure on that one yet.

Can't wait to see the LH side harness Lost the external regulator but they probably did a twist on that too.

Just to put a twist on it, my harness fits so well, yet here's a pic. of what's supposed to be an in-tact? 402 A/C. There's a wire harness crossing over the intake to probably the sender in the LH head
Attached Images

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 06-17-2021 at 12:41 AM.
Old 06-17-2021, 01:22 AM   #260
pjmoreland

That tape they put on your harness does look very nice.
Old 06-17-2021, 05:55 PM   #261
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
That tape they put on your harness does look very nice.
Yeah they did a nice job of it, too bad I'm revising some I'm cutting all the useless wires now after all, heck with their warranty. Installing a single wire connector at the sender too, only costs around $250 for tools and materials (cough!), good crimpers are pricey.

Spoke to a guy says cut them at the gutter, but I opted for off the RH head somewhere before interrupting existing HEI wire. Including the anti diesel The supplied 1/2"? insulator slides right through, extra tape too. For what worth seems this is "what's needed" beyond connectors & housings...

Factory Electrical Non Adhesive Wiring Harness Friction Tape OEM C NOS OE

Connect at the nail head temp. sender: 5x Delphi Metri-Pack 56 Series 1 Pin Connector Male, Female Terminal 18 20 AWG

High Temperature Resistant Automotive Wiring Harness Tape, 3/4"

Can't speak for other crimpers, just know these work for most terminals: American Autowire 510587

WOVEN FABRIC WIRE WRAP

I think these should remove the housings: PICO Wiring 0660PT. If not there's some kit with a million pieces for about 5 bucks.

Reason why the gauge sender is supposed to be on the LH head or option I suppose https://www.ebay.com/itm/252986062723

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 06-18-2021 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-07-2021, 08:01 PM   #262
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Thought I'd post how to install a gas pedal. I read somewhere to install it upside down, and flip it over afterwards. Well, unless I'm completely missing it, do that on my accelerator rod you bust something, because the rod extends about 1.5" beyond the hole, and the end of the rod is flat similar a crowbar. Feel free to correct please....

The rod positions on the LH portion of the pedal. The spring positions on the RH side of the rod, with the 90 in the spring laid on top of the rod, and the bottom of the spring positioned onto the back outer portion of the pedal.

Assembly from LH side: Pin > pedal > rod > spring > pedal. I don't suspect it matter which side the pin is inserted, but I notice the clevis is more better centered when inserted from the LH side.

A method to install one is to secure the spring onto the rod with tape with the holes lined up. Put the bottom spring into position on the pedal, and collapse the pedal & rod together flat to line up the holes. Eazy Peazy.............once you figure that out any way.
Attached Images

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 07-07-2021 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-07-2021, 09:58 PM   #263
IronCanine
I'm trying....

That's a very pretty picture.
1946 B.F. Avery Model A Tractor http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...55#post8292555

"Sometimes I wonder if zander208 was even real..."
IronCanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 01:08 AM   #264
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCanine View Post
That's a very pretty picture.
Thank you. It's a slow moving picture but most days a little something. I think the center console is next. No sign of a painted booster, column or air cleaner yet, was hoping to get the steering out of the way, about 50 parts to look forward to just that in a non-tilt.

A/C should be done any day, same with the glass frames. Hopefully I didn't lose another window guy

Speak of pretty, I may be a little bias, boy did GM install nice vinyl. I've kept this covered all these years, and will going forward for sure. I'm going to swear on Duragloss Vinyl & leather dressing, the reviews so good I bought enough for a lifetime. It's not glossy like typical shine-up type chemicals.
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2021, 10:01 PM   #265
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Nice to install some bling. Say I installed the rear bumper again to see if the mod I had to do worked with the bed and tight. Ended up just where it's supposed to, nice when a plan works. I get to pull it again, needs to be re-chromed or I'll buy another if one can be found.

I waited weeks for this, because I didn't much like the repro. center vent. Surprising there are two different ones available.

Think I'll install the temp control next. Other than that I'm nearly out of work, which generally has meant I'm receiving parts soon. Steering column & booster should be painted this week? A/C should be here soon? Getting wire harnesses during COVID is a beatch however, I'm missing a lot of it.

Other than that it's getting close, what a relief Looking forward to the painters 13 hour day(s) to build the body & moldings for done or close enough. That boy has a lot of energy. Dude really came through on this project, he'll finish the rest of the body this week.
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2021, 11:00 PM   #266
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Great progress. Keep the pics coming.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:45 PM   #267
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
Great progress. Keep the pics coming.
Thanks Pete, don't tell anyone but I'll have two clones inside this cab, center air vent and speaker Looking forward to hearing a radio with good reception, it's real bad in my other truck, bad ground or something like. Nice radio though, it's really the only very clean part inside that cab.

The radio installed today came off a board member, I bought two NOS stainless caps same deal, he initialed the radio, said it worked, so I'm holding him to it Close call between that and the one I pulled out of the truck. Mine has ever so slightly better chrome, but the buttons on this one are perfect so in it went.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:35 PM   #268
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

What's sexier than 71 fenders in a 2013 Tundra?

71 doors & a cowl panel in a 1972 Chevy

This truck is officially painted. If a guy had a steering column & brake booster painted "any day now" & rec'd his A/C system "any moment now" he could have this built pretty quickly I think. That's not me though, even if I had them, but it's sure getting close.

Checked my wire harness stock "as we receive them", I'm only missing around one dozen harnesses

Just when I thought I was making room I end up taking over another one. No pets allowed this door, you should see the master bedroom. Good thing I'm not married, and come to think of it the Chevy may have helped end one. Another reason to like this truck
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2021, 05:38 PM   #269
pjmoreland

Beautiful!
Old 07-29-2021, 05:48 PM   #270
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Someday, after this is all over I'll install this. In the mix we forgot to drill for it, not a big deal.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2021, 02:23 AM   #271
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

If I could tell a story since I last saw this controller, which was summer of 2016, it would be about a guy who retired from the years of deskwork he loved so much (cough!), followed by seeing the best of him turn 18, followed by a divorce. He installed landscape on his former’s bare place, for the dogs☺and with the assurance it would be right thus the phone doesn’t ring☺

Who spent a year taking care of his dying mother most days, and his step-father losing to dementia, with another landscape job to do. That’s what happens when West Virginia meets Nevada in the old man’s mind, then neglected for years. Who knew those steep hills the old man maintained before dementia took him were such a beach, my GOD!☺ Dude was tuff as nails, Marine, Vietnam, and a stint with the CIA.

Who saw his mother die, who took their dogs, one crippled & depressed though brought back for a good run to the end. The other went blind only to see full improvement was a scare. Who put his step-father into a home with regret, because he was locked away under the guidance of COVID nine months and then “died of COVID” anyhow.

Who discovered his parents saved everything and heavy hoarders on both ends, and found their garage his mother would never allow him to “re-organize” was fully mice infested, primarily where the Colonel smoked everyday for many years. Sure, right, he died of “COVID”. Imagine for a moment he was to clean that up beforehand. “Say mom, can I throw this Christmas ornament away?” “NO! I want enough to fill up 100 trees, no less☺” Who knew his mom could open Hallmark stores with back inventory. “How about this bank account statement from the 60s mom, can we get rid of that?” “Stop it!”☺ Almost a full year to prepare that place for sale, I was there most days. Good thing I’m retired ha! Timing.

The guy’s half-sister died a day after his mother. But the real shock was his sweet maternal uncle’s passing a few months later, on Jan. 1st, to announce 2020. Who knew he showed for his sister’s service when he was dying. Life cut too short, but what a life he had & what a character.

During that time he also discovered that her other brother, who was institutionalized for years had vanished from Earth. How can that be? He’s likely passed.

His last two uncles would pass in 2020 as well. Family patriarchs on both sides, all class, the classiest men he ever knew. Very accomplished and conscious, especially his mom’s uncle, the guy was key building a city, and it’s not small. Skips a generation or two☺ Men from the greatest generation or close enough, both were in their 90s. Soon after, his step-father was gone as well.

He lost another close relative, who when the colors came through they would become very clear using one simple word description, unmentioned here. They & their spouse tried to make everyone’s life they touched hell for two straight years, but the silver lining is it ends within a week of this writing, what a relief that to be, Yippee! You wouldn’t believe it. Sometimes it’s better to lose a live one than another who is gone.

Who watched the world turn upside down under the umbrella of a disease bringing the great toilet paper crises☺ Where a variant of disease was unleashed, which was just enough to vary the variants once called colds and flu. Perhaps intended to reduce populations, where many pass because of the circumstances of the disease rather than the disease itself, possibly more. And just maybe because of the financial state of debt that was sure to collapse economies as well, pending a do over of sorts, expeditiously. Hold onto your hats.

Takes more than that to beat one down, so should be our goal.

Who saw things unspoken that remind him it’s not what you know but what you don’t. Too many “coincidences” & strange, makes a guy a little spiritual.

Who watched his children with pride as the fisherman & his girl saw the country in a van and mature, finally☺. The second son graduates college in two weeks, the youngest entered nursing school, and met Prince Charming too. Always said she was like her nana, same smile, same A personality, talented, and same complexities☺ Boy is their Nana somewhere standing proud, she knew of none of it, but always high expectations.

Who doesn’t seek apologies or sympathy, just a story how so much can happen in just a span of five years from an open guy though prefers alone time too often. Heck he doesn’t even have a job, why all the drama?☺

Who when removed this controller knew very little about vehicles, but despite hesitations, and fears which there’s no shortage goes forward, only to learn how to build a . Just wasn’t raised around this stuff or even remotely, though what’s not to like about blue collar? I’ve always liked it. Near as I can tell that skips a few generations itself, same with camping, what’s not to like about that? Happy I took the jump, but would I do this again? Heck no

How about that climate controller man, I recalled it was nice when it was packed away, and five years later it doesn’t disappoint if not a surprise. It has the faintest scratch in the lens; just enough to declare it imperfect.
Attached Images

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 09-30-2021 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-05-2021, 06:14 PM   #272
pjmoreland

That's quite the roller coaster ride! My kids are older teenagers, and I think and worry about them constantly. I hope they sort things out over the next few years as well as your kids have done. That's a great looking controller you've got there. I hope I get to see your truck sometime.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:48 PM   #273
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Me too and me yours, we're close in the scheme of things. And yeah children will do that. Hot August this weekend, I'm going to check it out, with luck find some bumpers.

Now my RANT. I'm not going to mention any names, but it sounds just like Vintage Air, out of Florida Subject to change pending their attitudes. I sent this stuff to them heck I don't know, April or May. Seen worse response time for sure, but DANG IT ANYHOW. I quizzed them many times on their finishes, and every time they assured me yeah, we do a bang-up restoration job, automotive paint yadda yadda. In my opinion it is an automotive paint, though I'll bet it's a one shot primer paint mix, and judging by the big runs in one spot it's heavy. Other than what's pointed out in these pictures the finish looks nice.

Problem becomes they packed the compressor in two BIG boxes, protected the bottom & top and nothing on the sides, so of course the compressor punched through, both boxes. As for the dryer, neat, they put it in a plastic bag. Doesn't matter when it's in a box packed loose with the PAO, Expansion and hoses.

$1400ish for those parts mentioned, with shipping both ways. Not a chance man, I'll see what their response is, but I'm sending the dryer and compressor back, clear across the USA again, do it right. I have doubts any of the painters I use would take interest, and it wouldn't come cheap if they did. But assuming otherwise, beyond ports and the terminal, can anyone think of a reason the balance can't be blasted & painted? My concern is where it rotates. They saved the label, surprised to see that. I'd rather add the new one anyway, though the old one isn't too shabby.

Oh yeah, I have in writing original fit condenser. In their confusion they planned to send a universal, I said stop and the gal was supposed to ask for an alternative and call me back. So what do they do? Send it anyway. Not paying for that either, their customer service is garbage, one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.
Attached Images

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 08-05-2021 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:01 PM   #274
IronCanine
I'm trying....

Looking good Tony. I understand your frustration with the A/C. We used Classic Auto Air for our A/C restoration and it was a wholly negative experience. I basically had to re-finish everything. Just couldn't get hold of board member Benny at the time, who I would recommend to anyone doing an A/C resto.

But you're all the closer and your work is outstanding.
1946 B.F. Avery Model A Tractor http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...55#post8292555

"Sometimes I wonder if zander208 was even real..."
IronCanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 02:27 PM   #275
pjmoreland

Is there usually a decent selection of 67-72 Chevy truck parts at the Hot August Nights swap meet?