The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-31-2016, 11:59 PM   #1
saxart

Brake Parts

I'm having a devil of a time finding a vendor who carries these for our 1/2 ton trucks. LMC carries them, but they appear to be for a 3/4 truck. Anybody have a source for them for our 1/2 ton trucks?

Thanks!

(Numbers 8 & 9 in the diagram)

saxart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:42 AM   #2
cdowns

Re: Brake Parts

readily available here at local autopartsd store in the help section
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:36 AM   #3
dfwright

The oval spring is available from NAPA - #80744

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:05 PM   #4
saxart

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
readily available here at local autoparts store in the help section
That's good news. You wouldn't happen to have a part number or a brand name, would you? I looked on the interweb last night, and found a bunch of Dorman units, but of all the different part numbers none seemed to fit a 1/2 ton 1970 C-10. (or any 1/2 ton C-10 for that matter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwright View Post
The oval spring is available from NAPA - #80744
Thanks Dfwright, that's a great start!!
Old 06-02-2016, 12:18 AM   #5
TexasLS1

I had to do my own research for the bar and spring bc no auto parts stores had them listed for our year model trucks - trying to have them search for me was a waste of time. I found these drum bar at O'Reilly, Dorman part # 21152 -- http://m.oreillyauto.com/h5/r/oap/si...&keyword=21152
Here are the springs as well, BrakeBest part # H1338-2 -- http://m.oreillyauto.com/h5/r/oap/si...eyword=H1338-2
They had to special order them and I picked them up a few days later
TexasLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:36 AM   #6
saxart

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLS1 View Post
I had to do my own research for the bar and spring bc no auto parts stores had them listed for our year model trucks - trying to have them search for me was a waste of time. I found these drum bar at O'Reilly, Dorman part # 21152 -- http://m.oreillyauto.com/h5/r/oap/si...&keyword=21152
Here are the springs as well, BrakeBest part # H1338-2 -- http://m.oreillyauto.com/h5/r/oap/si...eyword=H1338-2
They had to special order them and I picked them up a few days later
Tex-
Thanks for the info. I don't know HOW you figured out that these fit our trucks, as they don't even list our vehicles, but I'll certainly give them a try. Thanks so much for posting this info!
Old 06-04-2016, 07:49 PM   #7
saxart

I want to thank everyone here for their help with this. The brake struts and springs that "TexasLS1" mentioned seem to be a great fit.

Now for another question...

My cables showed up today from LMC. They look like decent quality, but I guess time will tell. Anyway, I noticed that they are VERY loose where they pop in through the back of the brake backing plate. Is there supposed to be some sort of a washer or bushing to take up the slack? The little "barbs" that pop out do hold the cable in the hole, but it's as if the hole was drilled way too big (or I possibly have the wrong cables?) as that end of the sheath can be wiggled around enough that you could probably pull it out if you wrestled with it enough.

Here are some pics with the cable popped through the backing plate. I'm guessing something here is wrong, if anyone has any insight, that would be great!

Inside the brake set up:

Back side of backing plate: (Here you can see the daylight between the cable and the hole in the backing plate)

Thanks again for all of the help. I was able to figure out which parking brake arms were needed by a quick forum search. This place is great!
Old 05-20-2021, 12:07 AM   #8
Asshat

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxart View Post
I want to thank everyone here for their help with this. The brake struts and springs that "TexasLS1" mentioned seem to be a great fit.

Now for another question...

My cables showed up today from LMC. They look like decent quality, but I guess time will tell. Anyway, I noticed that they are VERY loose where they pop in through the back of the brake backing plate. Is there supposed to be some sort of a washer or bushing to take up the slack? The little "barbs" that pop out do hold the cable in the hole, but it's as if the hole was drilled way too big (or I possibly have the wrong cables?) as that end of the sheath can be wiggled around enough that you could probably pull it out if you wrestled with it enough.

Here are some pics with the cable popped through the backing plate. I'm guessing something here is wrong, if anyone has any insight, that would be great!

Inside the brake set up:

Back side of backing plate: (Here you can see the daylight between the cable and the hole in the backing plate)

Thanks again for all of the help. I was able to figure out which parking brake arms were needed by a quick forum search. This place is great!
Subscribing
Posted via Mobile Device
Asshat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:58 AM   #9
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asshat View Post
Subscribing
Posted via Mobile Device
5 year old thread ,The links don't seem to work anymore . Another option is Rockauto they had everything when I replaced mine with AC DELCO parts and they fit great .

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet
Attached Images

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote