The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2021, 10:21 PM   #1
theBOY

Evolution of my 87

I bought this 1987 GMC Sierra Classic in September of 2019. At that time the truck had just under 46,000 miles on it.I bought the truck to use as my daily after a local detective totaled my current daily in the parking lot of my work place. When I purchased the truck it was on stock suspension with 20" coys but also came with the original truck rallies. The truck was super solid and straight. Absolutely no rust through anywhere. Plenty of patina from the doors back. The guy at bought it from said that it had a run in with a deer early in it's life and had been clipped, which explains why the paint didn't age evenly. After a few months of owning the truck I killed the right front wheel on a pot hole. I threw some jeep take offs on it in a pinch to make it to SETN 2020.
Attached Images

theBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 10:51 PM   #2
theBOY

Re: Evolution of my 87

After a few months the jeep wheels had finally got on my last nerve. I picked up a set of rallies from a friend (for cheaper than I could've put tires on the ones that came with the truck) and threw those on. I didn't do much else to the truck for awhile until very recently. I, along with my dad, threw a bunch of parts at this thing in a crunch in the days leading up to this past weekend and SETN 2021. The truck was lowered with a set of 2.5" spindles, 2" springs up front and a flip kit in the rear. The mix match patina finally got to me and I decided to respray the grey on the cab and bed. The plan is to eventually buff through a little and match it up to the fenders. I swapped out the 275/somethings for a set of 235/75 white walls. We swapped the factory, insanely busted dash pad for an uncracked oem one. I replaced the original ripped seat with an oem seat in much better shape. Then the night before we left for Lebanon we replaced the bent bumper with one that my dad found locally. I'm planning on doing some interior work soon. I want to have the original seat recovered with a plaid insert and maybe do an accent in the door panels to match but before that, fixing the A/C is next on my list of priorities. These TN summers are brutal.
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2021, 07:03 AM   #3
4u2nv

Looks nice
I think you made the right choice on all of it
4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 08:09 AM   #4
theBOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4u2nv View Post
Looks nice
I think you made the right choice on all of it
Thanks. It's coming along slowly
Old 07-13-2021, 11:59 AM   #5
dagnabbitt

Looks good, get yourself a dash pad cover for those hot days, it's worth it if you have a nice replacement oem dash.

I did the exact same drop. Did you notch the frame in the rear?
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 01:08 PM   #6
theBOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnabbitt View Post
Looks good, get yourself a dash pad cover for those hot days, it's worth it if you have a nice replacement oem dash.

I did the exact same drop. Did you notch the frame in the rear?
I have a carpet dash cover I keep behind the seat. No frame notch currently.