The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
scottveazie

Pondering a trade, somebody help!

So I'm considering trading my grandpa's original 65 Chev c20 in very nice condition for a showroom condition '65 Corvair 140. Quite a difference I know, but I never drive the truck and as much as I love it, it just sits because it's just not that much fun to drive for a classic, with manual everything. Am I crazy?

My truck:
Old 05-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
64tantruck

Re: Pondering a trade, somebody help!

Keep the truck. We had a corvair and sold it to get a 61 apache for my wife. Corvairs are nice, and pretty car, but the are high maintenance and a headache to work on. Similar to working on old school air cooled aircraft engines. Lost of tin and shrouds on the engine. Plus the truck was your grandfathers, it has history. Once its sold to someone else, its just an old truck, keep it in the family.

Just my two cents.
61 Apache10 (wife's truck) 327ci powerglide.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=570100
64tantruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
akaupp

I'd say don't do it, partially because it's a beautiful truck, but also because it was your grandfather's truck. I'd keep it in the family if possible. Also, you can add things like power windows, brakes and steering to the truck if you need more modern amenities. My $.02.

1964 K10
1964 C10
1965 Suburban
2005 Yukon
akaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
hemifalcon

The truck may not be a fun "classic" to drive around and cruise.. But--it's super practical when that Corvair will be the death of you and the birth of your anger for getting rid of the truck. Just cuz it's "showroom"--unless there is some deep-rooted love for the cars or a sympathy for the oddities.... Keep the truck.. You'll wish you did after you're driving that oddball corvair..

(this is coming from a guy who likes oddballs--but not corvairs..)

Just a few questions--
1. Why do you want the Corvair?
2. Did you love your Grandpa?
3. Do you ever have a need for a truck or do you own a later model truck?
4. You whimper about the "manual" aspect of the truck--have you gotten some souped up Corvair with power everything?????
5. Do you know the history of the Corvair?
6. How old are you that you are interested in ditching the truck for a worthless Corvair?

And it's story of being 'saved'
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=631495
hemifalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #5
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

If it was your grandpa's corvair, maybe...
I would give it to another family member before I'd sell it.
Posted via Mobile Device

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:56 PM   #6
oem4me

reallyI'd say a lot depends on the condition of each. Generally speaking, trucks are on their way up in value and corvairs are.... well, not so much. That said, the truck is a 3/4 ton and that puts it back in line with the 'vair as far as mass popularity goes. The sad fact is few people want either. Don't get me wrong, I happen to be a fan of BOTH. I dare say any that pan the Corvair must not have any real experience in one. These cars are a gas to drive and if you add the extra HP of the 140, then it's just fun on top of fun. I'm actually looking forward to restoring my own mothballed '66 180 coupe here in the future.
So, how are they each equipped for options, and of course condition is everything. Restored? Original? Low miles?
I do agree with the sentiment that you can't ever buy grandpas truck ever again, but there ARE lots of Corvairs are out there. Yes even 140's.

EDIT: I just checked out your truck a bit through older posts, and I gotta say it's pretty nice. The Grandpa factor puts it yet higher on the niceness scale. This Corvair would really have to be something special for me to even think of a trade.

Last edited by oem4me; 05-06-2013 at 12:00 AM.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #7
hopped up

No!!
Posted via Mobile Device
hopped up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:14 PM   #8
Jeff La

Rather than trade, change what you don't like about the truck and keep the original parts in case you ever want to convert it back. Best of both worlds, you keep gramps truck and you get a joy to drive.
Jeff La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:53 PM   #9
andyspinstriping

I would never trade that beautiful truck for a corvair...Im willing to bet just about everyone on this forum would give anything to own their grandfathers truck too...I know I would!
andyspinstriping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:40 AM   #10
jonathan-m

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Definitely this.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:22 AM   #11
Swed

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyspinstriping View Post
I would never trade that beautiful truck for a corvair...Im willing to bet just about everyone on this forum would give anything to own their grandfathers truck too...I know I would!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff La View Post
Rather than trade, change what you don't like about the truck and keep the original parts in case you ever want to convert it back. Best of both worlds, you keep gramps truck and you get a joy to drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaupp View Post
I'd say don't do it, partially because it's a beautiful truck, but also because it was your grandfather's truck. I'd keep it in the family if possible. Also, you can add things like power windows, brakes and steering to the truck if you need more modern amenities. My $.02.

I will go with the rest of the guys here, if I ever had the chance to own anything, any where similar that was once owned by my grandpa I would keep it until I'm too old to stick with it and then inherit it to my children and tell them the story.

Speaking about showroom.. If you have a showroom vehicle, how much would you accually dare to drive it? And the your truck looks like winner from this picture!
* Audi A4 Avant Quattro TDI 2008
* Sachs Compact 50cc 1967
Swed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:27 AM   #12
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Since this is a truck enthusiast site I imagine most of the responses will be to keep the truck. And being a family heirloom would make that an easy decision for most of us, since seller’s remorse can be so much more heartbreaking.

It wouldn’t be all that difficult to add power steering and brakes while maintaining most of the originality. And since these trucks came with automatic transmissions, that could also be converted to look stock if needed.

If you really don’t like or want the truck I’d suggest selling it for top dollar and buying whatever you truly dream of owning. Unless that ultimate dream car is a Corvair, I’d be looking for something else.

Just from personal experience I would have very little interest in owning a Corvair, regardless of condition. I used to work on them back in the 60’s and I hated the things. The crankcase leaked like a sieve and as best I remember the bolts were 1/4x20 and owners snapped them off with regularity trying to stop the leaks. My job was drilling out/extracting the broken bolts which got old real fast. Riding in one left an impression of being a very cheap car. My dad had a V6 62 Buick Special and it had the same feel, along with the first generation Tempest and Olds F85.

And they had a rather unforgiving tendency to flip over, driving straight and level down the road if the tire pressures weren’t maintained properly. Corvairs were originally designed to include a rear sway bar which the bean counters removed, saving $5.00 per car. This made them dangerously unstable (again with improper air pressure in the tires). At the time the sway bar could be purchased for $35.00 retail, but few owners understood the urgency. This was one of the highlighted issues in the Ralph Nader book “Unsafe at Any Speed”. The negative publicity led to the downfall of the Corvair, and caused the introduction of most of the GM safety improvements in the late 60’s. When these were current automobiles Ernie Kovacs (a household name/comedian back then) was killed in one, which further dropped their popularity.

The bottom line on this site for every owner is you should own what you love. Unless you’ve been an avid Corvair fan all your life, I’d suggest researching the breed before deciding this is your dream ride.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:28 AM   #13
Rich 5150 69

Take it from the elders here, the corvair is nothing more than a can of worms, worst mistake of your life...even if someone gave you one....!
`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:44 AM   #14
bonehead

Yes, you are definately crazy!! (you asked).

bad trade, bad idea, ...keep the truck. you'll regret getting rid of it, in the future.

been there, done that, got the t-shirt.
1966 C-10 custom cab LWB

Last edited by bonehead; 05-06-2013 at 09:08 AM.
bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:50 AM   #15
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

I had a friend that had Corvairs back when I was in the Army, he had to tinker with his " showroom Spider" just to get it going in the mornings, he had a ramp side, coupes and a convertible, all needed to be massaged alot to stay running and none were a jump in and go kind of vehicle.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:54 AM   #16
scottveazie

It's something I've been struggling with for a long time, since I really never drive the truck because it eats so much gas too. I just don't know. I do really like Corvairs, I've had one, but honestly the truck probably has more value. Another option is to *shudder* trade for a nice 60's Mustang.

It I was to make changes to the truck, I'd want them to look original, I wish I had the running gear out of my old '66 Custom Camper. Auto everything.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #17
rideblue00

All im gonna say is, family history is hard to get back.
rideblue00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #18
LEEVON

Corvairs are a small market. You can convert your truck to power easily.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #19
Rufton

I love classic cars but no way I'd trade that truck for a Corvair. I might trade for a muscle car. Seller's remorse is likely to follow.
Rufton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #20
JWheeler331

What a pretty truck....and the fact that it was your Grandpa's. I would not do it. That car will never attract the market that the truck will. The truck can be converted to power brakes, steering and all that.

I think you have prob. come to the wrong group of people asking if they would trade a 60-66 truck for a Corvair.
JWheeler331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #21
Rufton

The Corvair club would probably tell him to keep the truck also
Rufton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #22
K98AL

No!

But please post and tell us your decision. Then post 6 months later and tell us we were right.
K98AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #23
RANDY COX

Keep the truck....my 1/2 cents...
Old 05-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #24
bhc41051

Chevrolet Corvair "Unsafe at any speed" X2
bhc41051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #25
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Keep the truck man!!!!!! It is a rare thing when someone asks were you got the truck and you tell them its been in the family since your grandfather owned it. I wish my truck was owned by a prior member of the family! And another thing, not to be rude; but since I am a professed tyrant of ford I would say it would be the biggest mistake to trade an awsome chevy like that for a ford. Ford equals Fix Or Repair Daily(saying that from experience my friend!) If I were to trade it(Which mind you I would not by anymeans!) I would trade it for another truck the same chevy truck the same year with your tastes done to it or just re-restore your grandfathers truck the way you want it. Or you could give it to me! just kidding! I hope you keep the truck.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote