The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2015, 05:02 PM   #51
Willowrun

Re: Had to buy - '77 Suburban

Had a couple hours this afternoon so I took Lolife's advise and dropped the front another inch. After getting the lower spindle out of the way by removing the lower ball joint nut I cut what I felt I didn't need out with a cut off wheel. I left the steering stop.
Attached Images

Willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:07 PM   #52
Willowrun

After cutting 1/2 coil out it is sitting where it needs to be. I feel 1 1/2 coils is about max of what I would do because there is just enough tension to hold the now shorter spring in the pockets with the suspension at full droop. Doubtful a shorter spring would fall out, but for me this is short enough.

I measured all 4 corners at the top of the wheel well and they are all within 1/8 inch. Very happy about that as I'm always concerned about a lean one way or the other.

Hope to get shocks and front sway bar installed next but will have to wait as I'm heading on a business trip to MX until Thurs. Hoping the snow is gone when I get back.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2015, 09:16 PM   #53
Willowrun

In the last month or so I was able to finish up the suspension, swap in some different door hinges on the drivers side, and most painfully, I finished the bodywork except for the dent in the lower drivers door....I've had enough bodywork for a while. I also cleaned up the center caps and rings and stuck them on. Finally, I fixed all of the tranny leaks. Oil fill seal, servo seal, new speedometer cable bullet, and the shift shaft seal were all replaced. The Jimmy no longer leaks.

While I was doing all of the work to this thing over the winter I was always a little worried because the drivetrain in this thing is unproven. The most I had ever driven was to the end of the road and back which was barely enough to tell if it was even getting into third gear. Now that it was finally at the point of needing an alignment I had a choice to make: Trailer it or drive it to get aligned.

I ended up setting the toe with a tape measure and decided to take it on a shakedown run to the gas station. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it ran and drove so I drove it to get aligned once the wife was home to follow me there. It rides and drives great
Attached Images

Last edited by Willowrun; 04-12-2015 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:29 PM   #54
Willowrun

Things I'd still like to do in the coming weeks:
- New window seals and get the interior cleaned up.
- Someone had the seats recovered pretty poorly years ago and those need to be redone.
- I also need to get a headliner I have covered and installed.
- I'd like to get some kind of red plaid material to use for inserts on the seats.
- I had to cut the tailpipe behind the muffler when doing the flip so some exhaust work is in the its future.
- I need to throw a different instrument bezel in and also figure out something with the chalky door panels.
- Lastly, it could use a radio that works better at some point but that's not really a priority.

I drove it quite a bit this weekend on short trips and it's been reliable and fun to drive. My goal for the last couple months has been to have the Jimmy able to drive to a swap meet about an hour away the third weekend in April. At times it seemed like I wasn't going to make it, but I think it may be ready after I take it on a few longer drives.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2015, 09:36 PM   #55
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Love your blazer!

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:00 PM   #56
Willowrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Love your blazer!
Thanks! Also thank you for the advice....it was good to get it from someone that's been down this road before.
Next project is putting all new leafs in the '72 in my avatar and then I may move on to lowering the topic of the original post, the Suburban. Hoping I won't have to replace everything (steering components, ball joints, etc) that I had to replace on this Jimmy....
Old 04-13-2015, 06:36 AM   #57
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowrun View Post
Thanks! Also thank you for the advice....it was good to get it from someone that's been down this road before.
Next project is putting all new leafs in the '72 in my avatar and then I may move on to lowering the topic of the original post, the Suburban. Hoping I won't have to replace everything (steering components, ball joints, etc) that I had to replace on this Jimmy....
Don't feel bad about having to replace front end components.
These trucks usually need these items.
The sad thing is,... most Chinese replacement parts probably won't last as long as the original GM parts.
And Quality front end parts really put a dent into the budget of a lowering project.

Also,... YOU are now the 73-82 2wd blazer lowering expert.
Pass on the knowledge!

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:37 PM   #58
Willowrun

It's been a while so here's what's new:
I've put about 1,000 miles on the Jimmy this summer.
Even though I had cut at least a coil and a half in the front, it just seemed like it needed to come down a little bit more. The last time I made a cut to the coils I cut about a quarter coil and it seemed like it only dropped it about a quarter inch. I figured this time I needed about another half inch lower so I cut about 1/3 of a coil and figured I'd be good. Wrong. Front end dropped almost an inch and a half. I'm sure it is where the end of the coil is positioned in the lower A arm that made the 1/3 coil cut so dramatic. It now had a major rake and it was bottoming on the inner fenders.....sigh.
I decided to get some drop springs, but unfortunately, I hadn't written down the measurements of the front drop as I cut the coils so I didn't know how much of a drop to get on the coils. I ended up ordering 3" drop. They raised it up about a half inch, but have settled some since then so I still hit the inner fenders with my tires on big dips in the road. I also had a rake that I didn't like.
When I initially tore down this Jimmy it had 1/2" lift blocks from the factory in the rear. I held on to them and with the rear axle now over the springs I used the blocks as lowering blocks. Seems to sit right now. Just a little bit of a pain with the front end rubbing every now and then.
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2015, 09:42 PM   #59
Willowrun

There are a lot of little things that still need to be done to this thing, but since it isn't "nice" I can still drive and enjoy it while I pick away at small things as time allows.
One of the things I was able to do was install a chrome grill I had picked up. I removed all of the argent gray that was on it from the factory so it is now all chrome. I'm not sure if I like it or not but it was so much work that it's going to stay this way.
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2015, 09:49 PM   #60
Willowrun

Lastly, an update on the '77 Suburban....no updates. It's sitting in the back of my barn and all I've done is move it around to get access to other things.
Here's the only recent pick I have of it. You can see it sitting behind the project I'll be working on this winter. The Suburban is just too long to work on in the small garage I've been working in. Need to get the new shop built.....
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2019, 05:30 PM   #61
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Lastly, an update on the '77 Suburban....no updates. It's sitting in the back of my barn and all I've done is move it around to get access to other things.
Here's the only recent pick I have of it. You can see it sitting behind the project I'll be working on this winter. The Suburban is just too long to work on in the small garage I've been working in. Need to get the new shop built.....
Latest update on the 77 I was going to do the same ,lower it and make it the way I wanted. But the truck is too damn nice to modify. I replaced the valve cover gaskets gas tank and tires. Put 4k miles on it since I bought it from you. 4 shows 4 1st place trophies.
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:04 PM   #62
Willowrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
Latest update on the 77 I was going to do the same ,lower it and make it the way I wanted. But the truck is too damn nice to modify. I replaced the valve cover gaskets gas tank and tires. Put 4k miles on it since I bought it from you. 4 shows 4 1st place trophies.
Glad to see you’re enjoying it and picking up some hardware with it dude! I sold it to make space in my barn but that didn’t last long as the next acquisition is on its way from WA this week so back to a full barn. Ugh
Old 10-22-2019, 09:23 AM   #63
72c20customcamper

And so what did you by?
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:13 PM   #64
Willowrun

Quote:
And so what did you by?
I think I told you (and you probably noticed) I’ve ventured outside of just GM trucks over the last few years. With that said, I bought an ‘89 Dodge W150 short box. I already had the same model but an ‘87 also from WA but for some reason felt I needed another. They’re different.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:41 AM   #65
bL.A.zer90045

I've converted a 4wd k5 frame to 2wd,and initially was going to replace rear 4wd hangars with 2wd hangars.to get this stance you have nailed I would just retain the 4wd hangars and flip it? I have 1ton springs I was gonna use up front with 1 and a half took out of coils? Should I go another 1/2? Plan on light duty cruiser/grocery better for this build until I get all quirks worked out of 4.8/nv3500.then maybe install bags...
bL.A.zer90045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:52 PM   #66
Willowrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bL.A.zer90045 View Post
I've converted a 4wd k5 frame to 2wd,and initially was going to replace rear 4wd hangars with 2wd hangars.to get this stance you have nailed I would just retain the 4wd hangars and flip it? I have 1ton springs I was gonna use up front with 1 and a half took out of coils? Should I go another 1/2? Plan on light duty cruiser/grocery better for this build until I get all quirks worked out of 4.8/nv3500.then maybe install bags...
Correct, leave rear 4x4 hangars and flip the axle. Not sure if you noticed but I did add a 1/2” block in the rear to bring it down a touch more.
Regarding the front coils, I’d stick with 1 1/2 rounds and see how it looks before cutting any more.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:34 AM   #67
72c20customcamper

Quote:
I think I told you (and you probably noticed) I’ve ventured outside of just GM trucks over the last few years. With that said, I bought an ‘89 Dodge W150 short box. I already had the same model but an ‘87 also from WA but for some reason felt I needed another. They’re different.
I like the old Dodge trucks too. My brother in law still talks about you Toyota. Hes looking for one
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:01 PM   #68
Willowrun

Quote:
I like the old Dodge trucks too. My brother in law still talks about you Toyota. Hes looking for one
Man...outing me about the Toyota on the Chevy site! LOL
Over the summer I got it cleaned up and put the SR5 graphics back on. I put it in the barn for the winter a few weeks ago.
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2019, 11:04 PM   #69
Willowrun

Another with some GM content.
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2021, 06:20 PM   #70
LT7A

Nice collection! How's the 2WD Blazer doing? I like that little sled.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 10:18 AM   #71
Willowrun

The 2wd Blazer, well technically it's a Jimmy, hasn't gotten much love over the last couple years as it seems I always have other vehicles calling for attention a little louder. The front drop springs I purchased to replace the cut too short factory coils are too soft so I purchased some 3/4 ton Moog springs to cut and install. That's probably a 4 hour job but I've had the springs for 2-3 years at least and haven't gotten to it. I also picked up some different seats for it probably 3 years ago and haven't installed those yet. They're the red plaid ones in the pic below. I took the pick of the Jimmy in my storage barn a couple months ago as I was calculating out how I was going to get everything to fit for the winter.
Thanks for asking!
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2022, 11:19 AM   #72
LordDevlin

Any chance you still own this 77 burb? Its a beauty!
Old 04-15-2022, 10:05 PM   #73
Willowrun

Nope, I sold the Suburban as I had it for several years and it just kept getting moved to the back of my barn. I sold it to 72c20customcamper who commented on it above. I believe he has since sold it.
Old 11-30-2023, 11:08 AM   #74
LT7A

I found this thread again looking for info on lowering a Suburban. Ended up with a two-fer, Burb and Blazer/Jimmy info. WR, you didn't ask for opinions so feel free to ignore this. You were enjoying the Jimmy but it seems like you quit driving it after the last round of lowering it. It looks cool but would not look any less cool if it was put back up to where you could drive it without it rubbing. In fact, look a little better in my opinion. I know you have plenty of stuff to keep you busy. I kinda got charmed by the little truck though, and that gets my interest/imagination going. I think it would look cool to raise the back 1 1/2 inches and bring the front up to where it doesn't bump and rub. Still would look really cool. In fact, while I know lots of people like the 'level' look, I think these trucks look even better when the top of the wheel opening sits at the same position in regard to the tire - front and back. It does create a minor rake but it really helps with making the proportions look good. Side benefit of possibly being more driveable. Just taking the time to jot down my thoughts...
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 11:15 PM   #75
Willowrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
I found this thread again looking for info on lowering a Suburban. Ended up with a two-fer, Burb and Blazer/Jimmy info. WR, you didn't ask for opinions so feel free to ignore this. You were enjoying the Jimmy but it seems like you quit driving it after the last round of lowering it. It looks cool but would not look any less cool if it was put back up to where you could drive it without it rubbing. In fact, look a little better in my opinion. I know you have plenty of stuff to keep you busy. I kinda got charmed by the little truck though, and that gets my interest/imagination going. I think it would look cool to raise the back 1 1/2 inches and bring the front up to where it doesn't bump and rub. Still would look really cool. In fact, while I know lots of people like the 'level' look, I think these trucks look even better when the top of the wheel opening sits at the same position in regard to the tire - front and back. It does create a minor rake but it really helps with making the proportions look good. Side benefit of possibly being more driveable. Just taking the time to jot down my thoughts...
Wow man, you're pretty good! I'd be lying if I said that the Jimmy in it's current state isn't a chore to drive because of the front tires buzzing the inner fenders. It's a combination of the lowering springs I bought sagging, the shocks not having enough dampening, and lastly the tires are a little tall. I think it looks cool though. I purchased some 3/4 ton springs a few years back to cut and install as they will be firmer than the aftermarket lowering springs and will hopefully resist bottoming better when hitting dips in the road. I also intend on running it a little higher though as you suggest to further help the road manners. I plan on changing from the rally rims to some 15 x 7 steelies I purchased from a board member with some caps when I do the spring change.

In a perfect world I would have done all of this at least a couple years ago but unfortunately, I haven't had a lot of truck time lately since covid. I had an already very busy job and it's gotten about twice as busy since covid so my truck hobby as of late has been less wrenching and more sourcing trucks/parts for when my job slows down which should finally start happening in the coming months.

Appreciate you bringing this thread up as it makes me remember how much I like the Jimmy. Not a lot to do with it to tide me over for a few years (springs and interior) so perhaps it needs to come to my shop in the spring once the snow is done. That is as long as I can finish the Bronco in my shop this winter. LOL

I was moving things around in my barn in preparation for winter several weeks back and took this pic that shows what the Jimmy has been up to.
Attached Images