The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2022, 12:08 PM   #1
scott123

steering issues

1969 1/2 ton SWB 4WD.

Swapped out the 292/3spd/T-221 Rockwell for a 350/350/NP-205.

Drove the truck without issue for a year or so and then did a cab swap and went to a 383.

Truck sat for a couple years after that and a few months back I got back on the project.

The steering which was pretty good/decent before went to crap. One to one and half turns before the wheel moved. The steering box was spinning with the steering shaft but no response. I thought maybe by sitting a seal or something had went bad so I replaced the box with a Cardone re-man. The issues were the exact same. No difference.

I figured the odds of getting a poorly prepped re-man were pretty good so I shipped it back and go another and ended up with the exact same thing.

Nothing is slipping, the shaft turns with the wheel, the end of the steering box turns with the shaft.

The pulley to the power steering pulley is 1:1. Can there be an issue with the fluid to and from the box? No whining/leaking or noise.

Just no movement.

Sorry for the length.

Scott
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 01:17 PM   #2
Mnguy

Re: steering issues

Fluid wouldn't have any effect on that, only the effort needed to turn the wheel. Are you absolutely sure that the input shaft to the gear box is turning? Either the end of the steering shaft is spinning on the input, or the output shaft is slipping in the pitman arm ( if it isn't lined up with the offset notches it won't seat on the splines) . Have someone watch the Pittman arm while you turn the wheel.
Mnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 04:19 PM   #3
scott123

There is no wheel well right now so I can see it form the side. The steering wheel turns, the shaft turns, the input shaft to the gear box turns but it is as much a one revolution before the pitman arm moves. Once it starts is moves as easy as anyone I have ever had all the way to the stop. Start back the other way and it is again as much as a complete turn before the pitman arm comes the other way.

My son turned it with me right on top of the box and the input shaft moves with the wheel.

Hard to believe the old box and two reman boxes have the same issues.

Stumped.

Scott
Old 06-27-2022, 09:39 AM   #4
Bigdav160

Your description sounds like excessive clearance in the box. Likely not enough preload on the worm gear. That is set by a turning torque measurement like setting preload on pinion bearings in the rear axle. You could remove the rag joint, loosen the large lock nut and using a pin spanner tighten the adjuster plug slightly. Slightly meaning not more than a 1/8" at a time
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 10:51 AM   #5
kwmech

So after sitting, all of a sudden there is a lot of slop in the steering? makes no sense to me at all. A steering box doesn't suddenly go bad after sitting unless the lines were off of it and it filled with water through the ports. Something happened when you did the cab swap and had the column askew
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 12:38 PM   #6
michael bustamante

is the ragjoint torn or loose?, intermediatte shaft nice and tight on both emds
Old 06-27-2022, 08:51 PM   #7
scott123

I will try to make a video tomorrow night when I get home.

The box was never disconnected the lines in the cab swap. I drove it in the shop with no issues. On the way out I had to pull back in because I could barely make the shop door.

The rag joint is intact and no issues with the shaft nor the bearing.

When the wheel turns everything turns but the pitman arm lags behind.

I broke the nut loose on this box and made a 1/8th inch the first time and an 1/8th inch the second time. No real difference.

Video to follow.

Not sure what to change next.

Scott
Old 06-28-2022, 02:47 PM   #8
buckkoo

Scott123,
As a fellow Middleburger with a pair of 72 K5s myself, I strongly recommend REDHEAD steering gears out of WA state.

https://redheadsteeringgears.com

My steering was sloppy and all over the place, until I sent my steering gearbox to them for a rebuild.
buckkoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 09:11 PM   #9
scott123

Small world.

I seen a yellow one the other day but got caught at the light and could not catch up.

Mine Blazer is in the shop half-thru a re-paint.

The 69 steering has me baffled.

I did not get home in time tonight to get the video. I will try to do it tomorrow.

Scott
Old 06-29-2022, 12:04 AM   #10
dmjlambert

Having 3 steering gear in a row all give the identical problem sounds very much like something besides the steering gear. But then I don't know what car parts places really do when they receive a "bad" unit back. Probably 50% chance it goes back on the shelf for another person to buy, especially if it looks OK from the outside. I guess I'm cynical.

I don't know what kind of slop is added when a steering center link is on backwards, but people do put them together that way accidentally and then complain about terrible steering, and the person experiencing problems posts pictures of the steering setup including the center link and people reply "yep that's the problem". So pictures are good. Just an idea.

If it were mine I would pull the steering gear off the truck and put it through the paces of adjusting the preload using the procedure used when seals are replaced. This can be done by steering the gear to off center, tightening down the adjuster plug, then backing it off by 1/2 inch travel of the threads or spanner hole. Then after steering the input shaft through the entire travel if you feel the over-center preload is non-existent or excessive, adjust over-center preload. If you can feel slight over-center additional resistance it is probably good.

Or you can adjust the preloads by the book, which is confusing. Here is information in a thread I started when exploring what to do and studying the situation. The book method is in the thread, as well as the shortcut method. Mine is 2 wheel drive, I don't know how much of a difference that really makes. I should say I had minor slop to deal with, but nowhere even close to a turn and a half of input shaft slop.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=812162
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 09:10 PM   #11
scott123

Thanks. Digging in now.

I will try to get some pics and a video. I just get home late and after I feed up all the animals I can't find the energy to go to the shop. 14 hour days start adding up.

Maybe Friday or Saturday.

Scott
Old 07-06-2022, 07:29 AM   #12
scott123

Young eyes/great vision is really important.

I had checked the arm earlier and it moved with the box. I sort of checked it off the list.

My son was under the truck and noticed the steering box output shaft would occasionally spin inside the arm.

I pulled the arm and found I have maybe a 1/8th inch of spline left. Once I saw it move the steering I never checked the splines while swapping gear boxes.

My next guess is that it was bad/close to failing before I did the cab swap.

The issue made no sense at all then but makes perfect sense now. It moved when I checked it but my son's younger eyes caught the occasional spin.

S
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2022, 10:55 AM   #13
kwmech

Never seen one that bad before. Stock arm?
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:33 AM   #14
scott123

I will assume so but can't say. It looks like stock.

I bought the truck some 10-12 years ago.

Drove it for a number of years with a mat over the 'floorboard air condition system'. Found a truck with a pretty good cab and made the swap.

I will just guess I was really close to failure prior to the swap. I also will guess I am pretty lucky it didn't give up at 55mph.

But so it goes.

Scott
Old 07-06-2022, 12:59 PM   #15
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I kept thinking that was loose, but since you mentioned it was checked, my mind went blank. I also have never seen one that worn out. Good thing for those yung eyes! Glad you discovered it and can get it replaced and back to driving the ole girl.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 01:14 PM   #16
scott123

Even swapping the boxes I did not check the actual splines as when it did move I could see the arm moving with the shaft.

I even made sure the bolt was tight each time but that was to no avail.

Drove it some this weekend. I am back to being able to keep it in one lane.

Scott