The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2009, 09:29 AM   #1
team39763

Why did my U-joint fall apart?

What up guys? I had a driveline failure last weekend at the track. I'm not 100% sure what the cause was. The track itself was very bumpy and had huge hills. A few bystanders told me the driveline came apart when I hit one of the dips. All I know was that I was in 3rd gear, about halfway through the 1/4mile and I heard a loud BANG. After that I think I remember hearing my driveshaft dragging until I crossed the finish line. After looking at the driveshaft and then at the pinion yoke, some people told me the u-joint let go. All the caps were gone except one that was still stuck in the straps, but was partially out and at an angle. The caps in the driveshaft end were missing too. The u-joint itself was sitting in the straps still...just with no caps. All 4 of the bolts the secure the straps/caps were battered/smashed on the inner sides. The driveshaft was torn in half, but didn't look like it was twisted too much.
I'm just wondering if maybe the hitting the hills caused an extreme driveline angle and maybe put the u-joints in a bind or something? If that's the case, I just won't race at that tack anymore. Or if the Ujoints were just old and let the caps fall off and driveshaft just went flailing? I'm hoping to have pictures soon. If you guys need more info, let me know. I'm just trying to prevent this from happening again.

Last edited by team39763; 04-02-2009 at 10:48 AM.
team39763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:11 AM   #2
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Re: Why did my U-joint fall apart?

your not the first one that has had that happen chances are that and old clip failed and it slung a cap then after that it was bye bye......just a matter of time..you didn't hear this from me but I know a guy who runs a zip tie ( phone company guy) around the outside of the u joint at the track takes 2 sec to put on and take off and he knows it won't happen again
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
team39763

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll try that zip tie trick. But what are your thoughts on the driveshaft? Will I be OK with just another stock one with good u-joints? Or should I look into upgrading?
Old 03-22-2009, 03:15 PM   #4
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

I use nothing but Spicer ujoints. My truck destroyed a cheap set in less than one year. And that was with old 305!! I'm happy with the Spicer joints. Install a drive shaft loop. If the front joints ever breaks first....its not pretty on what can happen!
Old 03-22-2009, 03:39 PM   #5
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

I agree get GOOD GREASABLE joints borg warner spicer or trw.. I don't know what your hiding under the hood but I have run 450 HP plus a 100 shot not so gently thru stock driveshafts just since you have it out put it in the sun sand it down and inspect the welds and tube for cracks then give it a quick squirt so it's shiney ..LOL a drive shaft loop is a nice add on piece and try to keep it towards the front so it wont hit first.... hit the local track swap meet to and look for a trans blanket I have also broken a few bell housings and since replaced them with bullet proof stuff for the car with a crunch box....my S10 has an auto and I bought a trans banket for cheap and wrapped it but on a street car I would worry about heat on the long hauls (the s10 gets some cty driving and seems to be good) just remeber YOUR important parts and feet are close to the spinning parts which could end bad for the miss's
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:51 PM   #6
team39763

I have a driveshaft loop in there already...I think it actually saved me from even more damage. My plan is to do like ya'll said and get good joints and I'm also going to get it high-speed balanced. I wanted to use u-joint girdles, but they say they are for 10bolts with u-bolts instead of straps....don't know if they'll still work for me or not.