The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-16-2020, 02:00 PM   #26
67 twins

Re: Resale Value - LS vs SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutone View Post
Value vs investment. I've bought my last 2 sbc engines from young guys swapping an LS into a 67-72 chevy. Keep on doing it, that way I can keep buying good motors cheap. I think it boils down to an age issue. Mostly, those of us that grew up with these trucks, find it a little sacreligious to do the swap. 95 percent or more of all owners will only use the truck for recreational purposes only. Just a great running , dependable truck with ANY combo is a sell according to today's market. Get the guy that is going to daily drive one, he may give more.
I agree. The engine in my C10 I bought for $500 from carb to oil pan, fan to clutch everything correct for my 67. The spark plug wires even routed correctly with all but one of the holders still there. The engine appears to have been rebuilt (it had
great compression, runs fantastic and runs good oil pressure. You can get great deals on SBC or inline 6s because of all the people LS swapping.
I don't understand why people think a modern drive train is needed to daily drive one of these. They were daily driven back in the day & still do a fine job of today with the original engines.
72 C1500 Sierra Grande 350 TH350 longbed fleetside=wife's fair weather truck
Can you tell we are fans of longbed fleetsides & 67s
Chris
67 twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:19 PM   #27
rowdy11

Great thread. I swapped my rebuilt and cammed SBC because it was reaching tired status again...for an LS. Really excited about the LS but it's a ton of work. I took the time to rebuild and replace seals, pumps, timing chain, port and polish heads, clean and paint my LS so I (or the next person) doesn't have to touch it again. I can just enjoy it.

I would have left the SBC if the rebuild was fresh enough and just added an EFI on top.
rowdy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:23 AM   #28
MDPotter

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. A lot of good points brought up and a lot to consider. At this point, we're going to see if we can get out of the SBC/TH400 what we want. If we can't, we will probably keep it and make some upgrades such as Edelbrock PF4 or Holley Sniper EFI and maybe an overdrive trans.

I won't be disappointed if we stick with the 383. It is well built and with an overdrive trans and EFI it should run quite well. If we go that route, we will probably aim to keep the truck more original. I've seen a lot of nice-looking 67-72's in black that look fairly original. I watched Dazed & Confused years before I bought my 68 and the black Cheyenne in that movie really caught my eye. That and project Copperhead of course.

I have an itch to do a Gen V LT swap into something and there are other opportunities for that. I've been keeping my eye out for an OBS (88-98) pickup because my dad wants one so that might be the better opportunity for it. Especially if we end up with the one we're looking at tonight which has a V6 with a manual trans.

Name:  115075.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  42.1 KB

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  9.9 KB
1978 Chevy Scottsdale K20
1993 Chevy C1500 - 5.3/T56 swapped
2008 Silverado Duramax
MDPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:42 AM   #29
SCHRUMGMC

I’m going with an LS 6.0 and a 4L80e in my Grandfathers old 59 gmc. Reason being is I like the reliability and how easy they’re to work on and to maintain (IMO)

I wanted to originally stick to the 270, but I will be driving the old gmc places it’s never went to now and hope that the truck will turn out like I wanted it to
Old 07-17-2020, 01:11 PM   #30
cj847

I think as a group, we all put "too much" engine in our old junk.

I get the low mile gen 5 LS idea, but why? The truck may be driven 20k-50k miles over the next 10 years. For my money a sub $1000 junk yard 150k mile truck LS and 4L60 is more than reliable enough drive train. Of course you want to clean it up a put new gaskets on it.

Even SBC, everyone builds a brand new SB to drive 2000 miles/year. Why? If you have an engine that isn't tired/burning/leaking oil/etc......DRIVE IT and wear it out...then debate the swap.

My $.02
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:47 PM   #31
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj847 View Post

I get the low mile gen 5 LS idea, but why? The truck may be driven 20k-50k miles over the next 10 years. For my money a sub $1000 junk yard 150k mile truck LS and 4L60 is more than reliable enough drive train. Of course you want to clean it up a put new gaskets on it.

Even SBC, everyone builds a brand new SB to drive 2000 miles/year. Why? If you have an engine that isn't tired/burning/leaking oil/etc......DRIVE IT and wear it out...then debate the swap.

My $.02
Just depends on condition of the power-plant. If it's lethargic, I get driving it while a transplant is readied & then swap the anchor out regardless of the engines generation. To keep driving it just because it's already in there & technically runs/functions as is leaving much to be desired.... I don't get that.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 03:24 PM   #32
TwoFiftyShifter

The SBC is the 6 banger of yesteryear. It used to be a surprise to see a 6 under the hood if you were humming along at 75mph. Now it's beginning to be a shock to see it with a 350...
Old 06-08-2023, 03:00 PM   #33
68isgreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFiftyShifter View Post
The SBC is the 6 banger of yesteryear. It used to be a surprise to see a 6 under the hood if you were humming along at 75mph. Now it's beginning to be a shock to see it with a 350...
Great thread. My recently acquired 68 has the original 6 that needs a rebuild. It's hard to justify putting 2k into the original motor just because it's original, and when I probably won't even be able to take it on the freeway for more than a few miles at a time without listening to it screaming. Dropping $6k on an ls swap also seems over the top. I think I'm going to just go the sb route, for now at least, just so I can get it on the road and enjoy it.
68isgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 04:06 PM   #34
truckster

I got six years out of a $100 SBC 350. When it threw a rod through the block in three places, I chose to build an L31 Vortec, because that's what I wanted. If you're building it to sell, that might be different, but with the prices these trucks bring today, I'm not sure that's true.
Old 06-08-2023, 05:04 PM   #35
Yamariv

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 twins View Post
Speaking personally if a truck has an LS I wouldn't even consider buying it. If I wanted a modern drive train I'll just drive a modern truck. The only upgrade I'm looking for is a MANUAL overdrive transmission, No slushboxes needed either!
Honestly I prefer driving my inline 6 truck over all the others & I have a modernish F***
Came here to say the same thing, if I wanted a modern drivetrain I'd drive my Acura. I wouldn't touch a vintage truck with a modern powertrain, just not my thing. Having the old school driving experience is what it's all about for me

Upgrades: Power Steering
3 Core Radiator
7 Hole Gauge Cluster
Power Brakes (Incoming!!..)
1971 350 (Incoming!!..)
Yamariv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 07:13 PM   #36
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamariv View Post
Came here to say the same thing, if I wanted a modern drivetrain I'd drive my Acura. I wouldn't touch a vintage truck with a modern powertrain, just not my thing. Having the old school driving experience is what it's all about for me
I get where you're coming from but I'll take the increased efficiency & accuracy of EFI over that 'old school driving experience'. Saying that..... the newest vehicle in my fleet is a '99 sbc/Vortec head/4l80e powerplant. Next newest is the 454 tbi in my Squarebody dually.

Are they old school?
All my others are carbed & I drive them 'year-round'.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 10:00 PM   #37
Steve Cole

I totally agree with what kwmech said!
Steve Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 02:37 AM   #38
Richard

Restomod and stock restoration are two different categories. IMO the restomod appeals to a larger audience. Seems to go back and forth on the want. If a stock restoration is done it needs to be real good to get top dollar as buyers will be much more informed. Other buyers will be looking for an inexpensive vehicle they can drive and wrench on.

Last edited by Richard; 06-09-2023 at 02:45 AM.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 08:37 AM   #39
A1971Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj847 View Post

My $.02
This is precisely my way of thinking. I'm on a lot of FB groups for the 67-72 years and I have to chuckle when guys brag about having a 572 CI BBC with a blower, that will never see a drag strip or any other situation where you can use that kind of power. I always ask "how's the fuel mileage? or "man I bet you get from gas station to gas station FAST!"

Back in the day, I loved the big block and there was no "replacement for displacement". When gasoline was less than 50¢ a gallon, it was nothing to burn 2-3 tanks on a Saturday night.
They were tuned for max performance at high RPM, but at an idle, would burn your eyes if you stood too close.

With the advent, and subsequent perfection of the computer controlled engine and powertrain, the HP came back without the excessive fuel consumption.

The engine in the '67 I bought was shot, I had an LS1 that had been sitting in my shop for several years and it became the perfect candidate for a replacement.
Of course, what started as an intention for a simple "swap and drive" has turned into a full blown resto-mod project.

The LS1 came from a wrecked '02 TransAm WS6, so it's kinda in the category of "high performance" already.
It will remain "bone stock" (except for some tuning). No need for supercharger or turbocharger for un-necessary power or a rumpety thumpety idle.
It will have overdrive transmission, and late model cruise control (thanks to some very helpful members of this forum).
It will have much more power than it had originally, hopefully some decent fuel mileage (if I can keep my foot light on the skinny pedal) and good driveability/reliability.

And, as others have stated, it comes down to a matter of personal choice. I still have 3 other 67-72 including 2 Blazers that all still have the Gen 1 SBC and will likely stay that way.(for now)

The LS swapped trucks bring insane money......my 2¢.....Carry on
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer

Last edited by A1971Blazer; 06-09-2023 at 08:44 AM.
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 09:16 AM   #40
j_cst_10

Lots of opinions. I'll add mine from the buyer point of view.

If I see anything with a stock truck 4.8 or 5.3L I don't even bother reading. There is usually a huge premium attached to anything that has an LS swap and I have no interst in a fuel injected 280-330hp worn out truck engine.

Now if someone has done some work to it and has the ability to prove it, that another story.

Plus as previously mentioned most swaps are poorly done. A lot of weekend warriors and "professional shops" are hacks and I don't trust the quality of work done. So it's rare to see something done well.

1966 Coronet 440 35k mile survivor
1991 Suburban 2500 454/4L80E 2wd
1985 Monte Carlo SS 383 Sbc, t-56 magnum 6spd and Ford 9"
j_cst_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 09:22 AM   #41
A1971Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cst_10 View Post
Plus as previously mentioned most swaps are poorly done. A lot of weekend warriors and "professional shops" are hacks and I don't trust the quality of work done. So it's rare to see something done well.
precisely why I do my own work and why it takes me so long...if it's "hacked" it's on me, and I'm not a hacker
and I hate wiring that looks like an explosion in a spaghetti factory...
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 12:10 PM   #42
Accelo

The drivability, fuel mileage and power of a modern LS makes them a keeper.
I am quite positive my LS1 pollutes less grams per mile than any 6 cylinder of the 70's.
Nothing makes me happier than reaching into the cab and hitting the key and it takes off and runs, and idles down as it warms up.
Sure I like a stocker, but I appreciate my LS more.
Each his own.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 01:24 PM   #43
MikeB

If I were younger, I might personally take on an LS swap for my truck, but I wouldn't have increased resale value in mind. And I doubt I'd buy a used 67-72 truck with an LS engine unless it was professionally done by a real shop that's been in business a long time. There are simply way too many of those swaps that are poorly done.

Two years ago I sold an 82 C10 with a very nice 355/TH350 to a guy who spent around $15K on a LS and trans swap. Two different shops and nearly a year later the swap was done, complete with an oil and exhaust leak. Who knows what else wasn't done right? I'm sure he's found several things by now.

Also, when I helped a friend build up an LS6 for his 55 Chevy car a few years ago, I found some bad and out-of-date information on the Internet and even in a How-To book. I have to wonder how many guys are using outdated info and parts.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!

Last edited by MikeB; 06-09-2023 at 01:32 PM.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 01:46 PM   #44
PbFut

I went back and forth on whether to LS or not on my truck. I ended up staying with the SB. A good condition and maintained SB runs smooth and reliable does not leak and is very reliable. So is a LS. A LS is more efficient but it will take a lot of miles to recover the cost. So if it takes 50k miles to recover, remember you simply recovered money you could have used for something else. You drive 50k and did not improve your bank account just broke even.
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 04:40 PM   #45
LS short box

I'm a LS guy. But to be of better value than SBC it has to be done well. I'm not a pro mechanic but I've done 10 or so LS swaps into various cars, trucks and Wranglers. My engine builds are some what mild. I don't buy 200K and trannys. I do all the installs myself. I try to clean up the wires so they mostly hidden.
Comparing my 68 C10 LS6/T56 swap to an identical truck with a SBC I think the LS truck bring more money IMO.
This is how I like LS engine compartments.
Attached Images

LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 06:49 PM   #46
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Depends on your ability to keep a carburetor working correctly with the new fuel blends.
Seems like every time I drive mine, it needs a power valve and accelerator pump.