The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2018, 04:40 PM   #1
Patch

What rear bumper is this?

Hello all. I do realize that this was most likely an aftermarket bumper my Dad put on this 72 after he purchased it new, but is there an actual model type...or are these even offered by anyone any longer? Thanks in advance....
P.S.-Found a different photo that actually shows a different earlier bumper. The earlier one didn't have the hitch mounted to it and although it doesn't show up well, it's got a placard that's red/silver/blue that almost looks like a Holley tag. huh...
Attached Images

Last edited by Patch; 05-17-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:21 PM   #2
tdangle

Re: What rear bumper is this?

I have the same bumper on my truck. If I recall correctly, the bumper was on the truck when my folks picked it up from the dealer in 1970. I dont remember seeing it listed on the spid, so I assume it was a dealer installed item. I need to dig up the original sales paperwork to verify.

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:49 PM   #3
Jeff's72C10*

A previous 72 C10 I purchased from the original owners grandson had a similar bumper, which also had the dealerships name stamped into it. May have been a dealer offered option??

69 SB CST - sold
72 Cheyenne Super LB - sold
Jeff's72C10* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:50 PM   #4
greentruck

I think it's a dealer installed Barden bumper. It looks to be the same one that came on my one owner California truck.
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2018, 05:54 PM   #5
'68OrangeSunshine

Rear-step bumper. Dealer option. Aftermarket later. I have a SAF-T-BUMPER on my stepside. Stepside-width step bumpers are hard to find now. It was on the truck when I bought it in 1973. I like mine.
Attached Images

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 05-18-2018 at 10:17 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:06 PM   #6
dmjlambert

In my experience in the late 60s and early 70s in Texas, all pickup trucks came new with that type of rear bumper. I don't recall ever seeing a plain or chrome "factory" bumper on any truck, unless the owner swapped the stamped steel dealer bumper out. But nobody really started doing that until the mid to late 70s when people decide these trucks were showpiece cars and stopped helping friends move into a new apartment for fear of scratching the bed. It was like a whole shift in the culture. I believe the dealerships received all the trucks from the factory without the bumper, and a license plate holder with light was installed underneath the truck bed to make the truck "legal." When the truck was received at the dealership, they disconnected the license plate light, bent the tab on the license plate holder so the new dealer bumper could be installed, and installed their bumper. My bumper is stamped D&D BUMPERWORKS SEGUIN TX, and in bigger letters DORAN CHEV INC DALLAS TEXAS. I still have the unused factory license plate holder behind the bumper. Things may have been different in other states.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:07 PM   #7
Jeff's72C10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
In my experience in the late 60s and early 70s in Texas, all pickup trucks came new with that type of rear bumper. I don't recall ever seeing a plain or chrome "factory" bumper on any truck, unless the owner swapped the stamped steel dealer bumper out. But nobody really started doing that until the mid to late 70s when people decide these trucks were showpiece cars and stopped helping friends move into a new apartment for fear of scratching the bed. It was like a whole shift in the culture. I believe the dealerships received all the trucks from the factory without the bumper, and a license plate holder with light was installed underneath the truck bed to make the truck "legal." When the truck was received at the dealership, they disconnected the license plate light, bent the tab on the license plate holder so the new dealer bumper could be installed, and installed their bumper. My bumper is stamped D&D BUMPERWORKS SEGUIN TX, and in bigger letters DORAN CHEV INC DALLAS TEXAS. I still have the unused factory license plate holder behind the bumper. Things may have been different in other states.
What he said, my 72 that I had in the early 90's had a similar bumper stamped Forrest Chevrolet, Cleaburne TX on it

69 SB CST - sold
72 Cheyenne Super LB - sold
Jeff's72C10* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:10 AM   #8
dagnabbitt

Seems like its actually a hi-end option, since it appears on a lot of CSTs.

This is an active ad for a truck thats for sale right now - I am thinking of going down to see it.
Attached Images

1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 05:30 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

Rear bumper was an option on all trucks and some states didn't require one, yet. A truck with no bumper option came with a tag mount/light to be mounted under the tailgate.Dealers put some on, and one with the Barden plaque would be dealer installed, although there were other brands. What was available as a factory option were painted rear bumper, chrome rear bumper, or step bumper. The step bumper looked exactly the same as the one shown on this truck. I think that is the same bumper in both pictures and the 2" receiver was added at a later date. All factory step bumpers from 67-71 were this style, made from 4" c-channel w/diamond plate top. The one shown on the '67 in post #8 is actually a '72-only factory step bumper, 4" wide stamped steel. In '73 step bumpers went to 8" stamped steel, which is what is available today.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:23 AM   #10
100%Chevy

Back in the early 80's in Texas,the dealer had an "A" frame in the showroom with different style rear bumpers on it to choose from for your new truck.
I bought 2 new trucks from them.One in 80,the other in 82.
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:15 AM   #11
demian5

I have a factory bumper but it looks a little different. Not so smooth in the middle but the plate is in the same place.
Attached Images

1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:46 AM   #12
s10mk

The factory step bumpers interest me, it seems like chevy changed the design of them year by year. Here is my bumper, its a 1972 factory optioned v43 painted step bumper.
Attached Images

1972 Chevrolet c20 350/350

1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS/ 6.0 lsx
s10mk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:13 PM   #13
72Subby

as late as 1990, I bought a new chevy pickup from the dealer and it did not come with a bumper from the factory.

the dealer put one on (sourced from I don't know where).

my point - the majority of these vintage trucks were probably also delivered that way, resulting in a huge variety of "original" bumpers, most mfg by people other than GM.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:50 PM   #14
100%Chevy

I've several around here with the dealer mane stamped on them.
They are all made from formed 3"or 4" channel iron.
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:19 PM   #15
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff's72C10* View Post
What he said, my 72 that I had in the early 90's had a similar bumper stamped Forrest Chevrolet, Cleaburne TX on it
I live about 5 min from there!! Ha. Love the dealer stamped bumpers.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:44 PM   #16
greentruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Hello all. I do realize that this was most likely an aftermarket bumper my Dad put on this 72 after he purchased it new, but is there an actual model type...or are these even offered by anyone any longer? Thanks in advance....
P.S.-Found a different photo that actually shows a different earlier bumper. The earlier one didn't have the hitch mounted to it and although it doesn't show up well, it's got a placard that's red/silver/blue that almost looks like a Holley tag. huh...
Which plant was your truck built at? I think the dealer installed bumpers were sourced from local venders close to the dealerships. That would narrow it down. I don't think anyone offers them anymore. They pop up on the parts board every now and then. No one seems to want them. I sandblasted mine and put it back on. I like it.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:50 PM   #17
Patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentruck View Post
Which plant was your truck built at? I think the dealer installed bumpers were sourced from local venders close to the dealerships. That would narrow it down. I don't think anyone offers them anymore. They pop up on the parts board every now and then. No one seems to want them. I sandblasted mine and put it back on. I like it.
I'll look when I get home.....
Old 05-22-2018, 07:42 AM   #18
special-K
Special Order

Rear bumper was an option, so a factory bumper would be on the SPID. 67-71 offered the same bumper. It was the 4" c-channel with rounded ends and rounded recess for license plate in the center. The top is diamond plate that is bent vertical to fill area to tailgate because they are actually dropped 4". In '72 the factory offered a stamped steel version, 4" wide and same characteristics, and there were two ribs stamped in the face...same as the '73-ups that went to full 8" with bottom in same place but now top crowded to tailgate.

Throught the Silver Book, a dealer could get you a variety of step bumpers from vebdors in that program. But also there were many companies selling both what was offered in the silver Book as well as other brands. Up to this era, step bumpers were an accessory the aftermarket came up with. This era is where GM realized it would be a good option to offer. Barten was a big outfit taking care of the West Coast. They are the company known for the wrap around step bumpers, but also offered the simpler one, such as the OP has

Here is the Barten wrap around on my '72
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:39 PM   #19
Patch

Z- Fremont, Ca.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentruck View Post
Old 05-23-2018, 07:05 PM   #20
greentruck

Probably a Barden as their facility was about 2 hours North in Woodland Ca. Here's my Freemont truck with Barden bumper.
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2020, 04:23 PM   #21
54blackhornet

I just restored the SAFE TEE bumper on my 71 GMC. The aluminum name plate is completely faded but you can just make out the name. States Los Angles & Portland as company location. The only thing I don’t like is the license plate positioned on left side.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:56 PM   #22
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54blackhornet View Post
I just restored the SAFE TEE bumper on my 71 GMC. The aluminum name plate is completely faded but you can just make out the name. States Los Angles & Portland as company location. The only thing I don’t like is the license plate positioned on left side.
I have the same bumper, but a stepside model. I took off the manufacuurer plate. I saved it, but I doubt I will color it back in. I'm not that much of a purist.
I moved my plate over to the passenger side, low on the right, and took off the illuminating light.
Attached Images

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:05 PM   #23
72c20customcamper

Rear bumper pulls out about three ft the mounts have lock bolts and a slider. Loosen the bolts pull bumper out and lock it in place . So you can put a camper with an overhang on it
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.

Last edited by 72c20customcamper; 08-18-2020 at 10:31 AM.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:25 PM   #24
best view

My k20 has chrome rear bumper as a option on the spid
best view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 03:24 AM   #25
BC10

My dad has the same bumper on his 1970 Longbed stepside.
It is extremely functional, for towing, and lifting things into the bed.

His original bumper completely rusted out, but thanks to some guys from these forums I was able to find a very nice replacement for him. Shipping was brutal though.
BC10 is offline   Reply With Quote