The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2022, 01:24 AM   #1
gottwake

New blazer body..

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9504138030736/
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2022, 07:35 AM   #2
GMC71k20

Re: New blazer body..

This is about to be much more common, the aftermarket parts cost about 5 grand.
I can imagine the repop k5 turning into a Shelby Cobra or other common kit cars
GMC71k20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 12:32 PM   #3
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC71k20 View Post
This is about to be much more common, the aftermarket parts cost about 5 grand.
I can imagine the repop k5 turning into a Shelby Cobra or other common kit cars
Yup, that's why I hate these complete bodies. It's one thing having aftermarket parts available to keep the original trucks going, but having complete bodies available is going too far. Look what happened to the original Bronco! Used to be cool seeing one because they were so rare, but now they are common place. They had over 50 Broncos at the last SEMA I attended.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 08:09 PM   #4
bcfishon

I would think if kit bodies were available it would further increase the value of a original.
bcfishon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 09:46 AM   #5
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcfishon View Post
I would think if kit bodies were available it would further increase the value of a original.
Not really! What it's going to do is make Blazers more common place, and people will be transferring VIN plates from unrestorable wrecks onto these new bodies then pass them off as originals.
Old 05-25-2022, 04:47 AM   #6
Phillip Owings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcfishon View Post
I agree but I believe its also nice to have everything new also.
Phillip Owings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 04:49 AM   #7
Phillip Owings

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi43 View Post
Not really! What it's going to do is make Blazers more common place, and people will be transferring VIN plates from unrestorable wrecks onto these new bodies then pass them off as originals.
you have a good point.
Old 05-25-2022, 06:35 AM   #8
72gmguy

I hate to keep mentioning the bronco but replacement bodies have been around for them for what feels like decades and the values have done nothing but rise in that time. Sure there are more around but some of those builds are $100k plus and your not going to see many of those trucks just cruising around in your neighborhood. There are camaro and chevelle bodies being built now too. Some of the blazers that are being restored now have most of there panels replaced anyway. I don’t think that has an effect on the value of those trucks. As long as no one is trying to pass a new body off as a low mileage original I’m ok with them especially since most of them will probably be ls or lt powered, lifted with big tires, 6 speed or 10 speed transmissions and custom paint jobs.

1969 Blazer 4x4 original cst
1971 Blazer partial 2wd convert
1972 Blazer 4x4 original cst
1970 Blazer 4x4 w/ 2 1/2in lift and 33in tires w/4 wheel camper
1970 4x4 suburban w/ 6in lift and 35in tires
1968 Corvette convertible
1970 Malibu convertible
1959 Brookwood wagon
1972 International Scout ii
72gmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:13 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
That's restoration. That doesn't produce more K/5s today than originally built, like kit cars do.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:55 AM   #10
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
That's restoration. That doesn't produce more K/5s today than originally built, like kit cars do.
Probably not, but it could theoretically. A good example is the 32 Ford. I don't have an exact number, but the common joke is that there's more 32 Fords around today than were originally built.
Maybe it's just me, but I enjoy attending an event like SEMA or other major car shows and only see one or two Blazers. Broncos on the other hand seem to be everywhere and I just don't appreciate them like I used to because I question whether they are an original survivor or some Taiwanese copy.

Might be the reason I don't like (.)(.) implants!
Old 05-25-2022, 06:50 PM   #11
special-K
Special Order

I don't know how this can be seen as a bad thing for people to be able to save K/5s (let's not forget the Jimmy) rusted beyond repair, which was a lot of them. Is someone making new frames as well? How is it any different than swapping cabs on a pickup during restoration? I think what you call an original and a Taiwanese copy and what I do are two different things. How many original K/5s are out there compared to when they were originally made? How many have had extensive body panel work? Is that more original than a fully replaced body? Does it make that big a difference that a piece of the original door jamb was retained? And the cost. I don't see a plethora of K/5s being built using all new Taiwanese parts, if all new parts were even available. I had two Blazers, '70 and '72, that got too rusty to restore... in my opinion 10-15 years ago. Why would it be a bad thing for me to want to build nice Blazers like others have here? I couldn't be so selfish as to wish no one else could have what I have. I hate that parts aren't made in America, but that's a bigger story. Where do you draw the line between foreign made body vs tires, wheels, lug nuts, brake rotors, calipers, pads, wheel bearings, seals... I haven't gone far into the truck and there is my point. Replacement parts are made overseas and to keep a vehicle running you will be buying foreign replacement parts.

I build using as many OEM parts as possible. I restore OEM parts and sell them. And I like my women natural. But I can't control where the industry took our parts production to.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 09:30 AM   #12
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I don't know how this can be seen as a bad thing for people to be able to save K/5s (let's not forget the Jimmy) rusted beyond repair, which was a lot of them. Is someone making new frames as well? How is it any different than swapping cabs on a pickup during restoration? I think what you call an original and a Taiwanese copy and what I do are two different things. How many original K/5s are out there compared to when they were originally made? How many have had extensive body panel work? Is that more original than a fully replaced body? Does it make that big a difference that a piece of the original door jamb was retained? And the cost. I don't see a plethora of K/5s being built using all new Taiwanese parts, if all new parts were even available. I had two Blazers, '70 and '72, that got too rusty to restore... in my opinion 10-15 years ago. Why would it be a bad thing for me to want to build nice Blazers like others have here? I couldn't be so selfish as to wish no one else could have what I have. I hate that parts aren't made in America, but that's a bigger story. Where do you draw the line between foreign made body vs tires, wheels, lug nuts, brake rotors, calipers, pads, wheel bearings, seals... I haven't gone far into the truck and there is my point. Replacement parts are made overseas and to keep a vehicle running you will be buying foreign replacement parts.

I build using as many OEM parts as possible. I restore OEM parts and sell them. And I like my women natural. But I can't control where the industry took our parts production to.
I think you missed my point.
I'm all for someone buying one of these aftermarket bodies to fix their Blazer. What I don't want to see is 20 Blazers at a car show for example when there's usually only one.

Take SEMA for example;
I own a fab shop specializing in mainly one-off racing components, so I attend SEMA regularly. In the past, you'd be lucky to see one or two Broncos on display, and I would always stop and check them out because it's not very often i get to see one up close.
The last SEMA I went to was in 2018, there must have been 50-60 of them there, and I'm sure most of them didn't even have one Ford part in it. Sure they "looked" like Broncos, but that was about it.
They became so abundant that I didn't even bother looking at most.
Now that we can travel again, I will be attending SEMA again this year, and I sure hope I don't see 50 fake Blazers there.
Old 05-29-2022, 06:57 AM   #13
scott123

Agree with most of the posts. The aftermarket body will make it 'easier' to have a 72K5 and with the market right now being high a builder could save a lot of time (and time is money) skipping over all the metal/rust replacement work and then take advantage of the current market.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Maybe both.

The high end Blazers selling for tons in todays market are seldom stock/all out restorations. LS engines, axle and wheel upgrades, over drive transmissions, etc..etc...

So if a complete body sits on top of that I can't see it being an issue.

Swapped vin tags to inflate value and hoo-doo the buyer is another subject altogether. That will rank up there with "filler and paint to make it look like what it ain't".

I also see the point when you start seeing them everywhere will they lose their appeal, maybe to some, not so much to others.

Tough call.

S
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 11:42 AM   #14
Phillip Owings

Quote:
I think you missed my point.
I'm all for someone buying one of these aftermarket bodies to fix their Blazer. What I don't want to see is 20 Blazers at a car show for example when there's usually only one.

Take SEMA for example;
I own a fab shop specializing in mainly one-off racing components, so I attend SEMA regularly. In the past, you'd be lucky to see one or two Broncos on display, and I would always stop and check them out because it's not very often i get to see one up close.
The last SEMA I went to was in 2018, there must have been 50-60 of them there, and I'm sure most of them didn't even have one Ford part in it. Sure they "looked" like Broncos, but that was about it.
They became so abundant that I didn't even bother looking at most.
Now that we can travel again, I will be attending SEMA again this year, and I sure hope I don't see 50 fake Blazers there.
To me its not so much about fake blazers as is the individual dream in owning one and making it a daily driver. just enjoying it. I believe people will somehow adjust to it. I my self would love to take one just frame and body and make one like ford did with their electric crate motor as a daily driver.

https://youtu.be/IJQZzg6rWyo
Old 05-29-2022, 01:54 PM   #15
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Owings View Post
To me its not so much about fake blazers as is the individual dream in owning one and making it a daily driver. just enjoying it. I believe people will somehow adjust to it. I my self would love to take one just frame and body and make one like ford did with their electric crate motor as a daily driver.

https://youtu.be/IJQZzg6rWyo
That would be a cool swap. I'm actually looking forward to SEMA this year to see how much aftermarket there is for electric vehicles. Some say electric is the end of the hobby, but I say it's a new beginning.
The same thing was said in the mid 80's when computer controlled and fuel injection came on the market.
Let's hope for better and cheaper batteries in the future.

I've been following this build----> https://youtu.be/YxkPuEmIX4U
Very cool what he's done, but the cost is still way too high for the average person. Maybe in 5 years???