The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2022, 08:51 AM   #101
Roostre

Re: Roostre's 1967 C20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
That would be a lot of work. Looks like the complete floor would be the way to go.

Glad to see you are back on it......

LockDoc
Thanks, I hope I can stay at it. This cab needs help! I'm a little confused as to the previous repairs. The amount of work it would have taken to rivet the metal over the rust then shape it with Bondo would have been more than just putting in patch panels to start with. Maybe it was done when patch panels weren't readily available?
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 08:58 AM   #102
Roostre

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnabbitt View Post
Great to see you picking up where you left off, because we have similar projects but you are one step ahead of me and I like being one step behind!

Presently doing more or less the same rad support fix that you did, before moving on to my own spray foam cab corners lol.
I'm glad to share the adventure! Hopefully I can share what not to do!

I'm really happy with the way my rad support turned out, it isn't perfect but will do its job and isn't something that is very visible.

It was much easier to pry that block of foam out after the corner was cut out than trying to get it out before, it was really stuck in there.

Good luck with your project, I need to go look at your thread.
Old 04-23-2022, 09:05 AM   #103
Roostre

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolboxchev View Post
Haha! Cool looking cat. Is he a mouser? A good friend of mine whom used to make the wooden aluminum skinned canopies for these trucks had a cat running his shop. He named her Tinker!
Thanks, he is a great mouser. My wife and son would like him to be an indoor cat, but I'm resistant because he's so good at mouse control. We got really lucky with him. He just wandered up one day and was already fixed.

I named him Garbage because the first time I saw him, he was jumping out of the dumpster and because my wife and I are fans of The Office.
Old 05-12-2022, 10:14 AM   #104
Roostre

I haven't made much progress. Since I have the one cab corner cut out, I've been looking at the cab and trying to make a plan on how to fix all the rot. I've got a complete floor, cab corners, rockers, and RH lower A-post to put in. Now that I'm inspecting more closely, I see the bottom of both B-posts are rotten to the point that the bolts to the floor are missing, see the picture below. I'm debating how to fix this, as it looks like there is not a patch panel available for this area, and complete B-posts are $300+ each. That's way too much to be buying just to cut a patch out of. I think I'm going to brace the cab and cut the poorly done rocker panels out so I can get a good view of the area. I will then cut the floor out and get the new one positioned so I can tell what the patch I need to make for the bottom of the B-posts will look like. I was hoping to leave the rockers in place while I did the floor, but I don't think that's an option anymore. Anyone who has done this and can give some tips would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2022, 12:59 AM   #105
LT7A

Good work man. That's a big undertaking. That truck is lucky to have found you.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:27 AM   #106
Stephen717

Even if it isn't much progress it's still progress friend, keep up the good work on it.
Stephen717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 12:09 PM   #107
Roostre

Thanks! I'm certainly getting an education on rust repair, and fixing bad patch jobs. Not that I'm necessarily doing it completely right, but it is better than it was.
Old 05-13-2022, 10:01 PM   #108
Roostre

Since I'm still debating the order that I'm going to tackle cab repairs, I decided to freshen up the paint on the radiator support after I patched it under the battery tray. I didn't do any prep other than clean it a little and prime the raw steel I patched in. Looks good enough for this truck. After the back dries, I'll flip it and do the front. Once again, I used Rust-Oleum Painters Touch 2X, this time in satin canyon black. I like it. On to pictures; one is overall, a couple of the patched area, and of course the paint can.
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2022, 10:06 PM   #109
Roostre

I forgot, someone oversprayed red on one bucket in this trucks previous life. I suppose I'll pull them off and try to clean them. Or maybe I have a can of silver around here.
Attached Images

Last edited by Roostre; 05-13-2022 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-13-2022, 10:17 PM   #110
Roostre

And the front side is all freshened up. New paint is a good feeling, even if it's just rattle can on a radiator support!
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2022, 10:26 PM   #111
Roostre

Here's the buckets in metallic aluminum. It's a little brighter than I would have liked, but at least they look the same now and are not covered in red overspray.
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2022, 11:28 AM   #112
Roostre

My radiator support is ready for whenever I'm ready to put my front clip back together.
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2022, 10:08 AM   #113
May70

If you check out my YouTube channel in the signature below I have a bunch of metal repair vids on our cabs.

Should help if you haven’t seen them.

How to repair that rusted out 67-72 c10-c30! Please subscribe!
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaycoCustomRestorations
May70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 12:04 PM   #114
Roostre

Quote:
Originally Posted by May70 View Post
If you check out my YouTube channel in the signature below I have a bunch of metal repair vids on our cabs.

Should help if you haven’t seen them.
I'll check them out. Thanks!
Old 06-29-2022, 10:34 AM   #115
KyleSeal

Looks like you're moving along really well. I plan to do a roof skin to repair the inner roof and get a fresh start to painting my cab from the paint divider up. Ill be following along!

My Build Thread (1967 C10, lowered, EFI, daily truck): http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=830809
KyleSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 05:08 PM   #116
Roostre

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSeal View Post
Looks like you're moving along really well. I plan to do a roof skin to repair the inner roof and get a fresh start to painting my cab from the paint divider up. Ill be following along!
Thanks! Life's a little busy right now, so the truck hasn't been getting the love it should. Hopefully I'll be able to get back to it soon. I ended up ordering the B-pillar patch panels that you recommended after I asked in your build thread (the Keyparts ones). When they show up, it may be the catalyst I need to get back out there!

I recommend gluing the outer roof skin down rather than welding. Mine turned out really well. On the other hand, if you're doing the inner roof too, you may have no problems reaching the outer rear pinch weld.
Old 09-01-2022, 11:55 AM   #117
Roostre

The humidity around here finally dropped a little bit, and my laundry list of other projects dried up some, so I managed to get back onto my cab.

Previously, I mentioned that my new seam sealer in the drip rail was peeling out. I decided to tackle that last night. My thought is that this was user error. I forgot to scuff the e-coat on the new roof skin before I put the seam sealer in. The sealer peeled right off of the new skin, but stuck to the old drip rail and down the sides of the cab. I ended up wire wheeling out the rest of the sealer that I put in there. So, I decided to really get after it this time by scuffing the whole roof and laying down a coat of primer. Hopefully tonight I will be able to get the new seam sealer in and also put another coat of body filler in my rear roof gap.
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2022, 10:04 PM   #118
Roostre

I squeezed seam sealer into my drip rail for a second time tonight. Hopefully I did good prep work and it will stick this time.
Old 09-05-2022, 07:00 PM   #119
Roostre

After yard work this afternoon, I went out to check on my seam sealer. It turned out really well and seems to be holding great. I also sanded down the body filler in my rear roof seam. It also turned out really well. I think some high build primer and a little more sanding, and I should be able to get back to the bottom part of the cab.
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2023, 10:38 PM   #120
Roostre

Finally, what feels like a long winter has started to let up. Much of our snow has melted, and the temps are climbing to the point that the nipco doesn't run constantly in the shop. I got out and was able to spend a few hours on my cab corner tonight. It is tacked in. I need to do some cutting and adjusting around the door frame. I also got a little carried away cutting the old corner out and will need to make myself a small filler strip for the back of the cab, but it is mostly fit in place. I needed some headway to get re-enthused to tackle the rest of the cab. Only one picture for tonight, but it feels good.
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2023, 12:56 AM   #121
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Glad to see you back on it. Keep up the momentum....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 01:10 PM   #122
Roostre

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
Glad to see you back on it. Keep up the momentum....

LockDoc
Thank you! I was reviewing this thread and realized that the cab corner I tacked in last night was cut out almost exactly 11 months ago. I also think I have a solid order planned for fixing the rust in the floor and lower cab area. I will lay that out in another post when I get to a computer.

I also realized that I didn't record that I covered the rear roof seam with high build primer. I haven't sanded it yet and don't have any pictures right now, but I love how it turned out. So pictures are coming on that area as well.
Old 04-04-2023, 11:29 AM   #123
Roostre

The passenger side cab corner is welded in and ready for some body filler. It isn't perfect, but not bad for my first attempt at a cab corner and is much better than the sheetmetal patch backed by expanding foam insulation.

I did have to cut a pie wedge out of the lip next to the door to get everything to line up. The door was installed, and the lower body lines are able to be aligned, so everything should be good. Now I am going to go over and do the drivers' side cab corner before I start bracing and cutting to replace the floor.
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2023, 03:18 PM   #124
HO455
Post Whore

Looking good! Keep up the good work.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 05:02 PM   #125
Roostre

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Looking good! Keep up the good work.
Thanks! It's definitely not a professional job, but will be good enough for me.