The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2021, 05:13 PM   #1
Pick121

Towing mirror upgrade 2019 Silverado 2500HD

Hi folks, sharing a aftermarket mirror upgrade I installed myself and my impressions on the product, the Boost Auto 2015-2019 GM Tow Mirrors.* (I am not sponsored nor do I benefit from my comments here)
Feel free to skip a post or 2 to see the photos of the before and after.
I have a 2019 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 4x4 with the 6.6L V8 Duramax turbo diesel, crew cab, standard bed. This truck was my retirement gift from my Wife and myself, replacing my 2004 pretty much same, 2500HD, 4wd, only major difference is it was was the LS and a long bed (which I miss occasionally, not enough to be super depressed or anything)
Well being so excited to get a brand new truck, this doesn’t happen often for me, I barely noticed the baby car mirrors on the doors! I tow on occasion and I am used to large mirrors being a retired Firefighter all our engines/trucks had the biggest mirrors with bubble mirrors. So I asked the Chevy Dealer, would they do a switch out to the large mirrors which are an option. They would be glad to switch them out, for full price + labor.
So I started looking at aftermarket options to compare prices. The Boost Auto mirrors popped up and had the highest ratings and reviews, so I did some research. The mirrors come standard/off the shelf or you can “Custom Build” which I figured, why not price with all the bells & whistles mine already have (auto fold-in, defrost) and option to add running lights and backup lights which would come on the Chevrolet ones. Well I had a little sticker shock, loaded with all the options and a wiring harness they were at $1082. Checking with Chevy, their mirrors, without quite as many of the options, were in the high $900’s, not even including installation.
So I decided to get the Boost Auto.
*Note: they have many other years for Chevy/GMC, and also F*#d, Dodge, Nissan, Toyota

Last edited by Pick121; 12-11-2021 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Pick121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 05:16 PM   #2
Pick121

Re: Towing mirror upgrade 2019 Silverado 2500HD

If I had to do it again, which I would not hesitate, I would definitely consider going with the black plastic vs. the chrome I have. After a couple years the chrome on the bottom is becoming pitted from rocks/bugs no matter how careful I am washing and waxing.
Also after switching them out, I was able to sell the original mirrors to a dude for around $200 that wanted to upgrade his stock mirrors to auto folding and defrost, he did not tow any so was happy with the small ones.
Old 12-11-2021, 05:24 PM   #3
Pick121

Before photos with baby mirrors (apologies to anyone that has these, just what I call them no offense meant)
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2021, 05:34 PM   #4
Pick121

After photos, one shows the tow mirror on passenger side compared to the standard mirror on driver side
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2021, 05:44 PM   #5
Pick121

I am not gonna do a step by step install tutorial, they actually have that on their web site complete with YouTube videos. It was pretty straightforward with a couple challenges, just get the right tools and don’t be afraid to pop into your brand new door!

https://boostautoparts.com/products/...gm-tow-mirrors

What I like about these mirrors, they have the option I went with which is a LED strip that is a constant solid white running light, when you turn on the signal it goes to blinking yellow. I like the looks better than the individual LED dots, this gives my truck a unique look compared to stock. You can also see the options on their web page, here is a daylight photo you get the idea.
Also they fold in automatically, have defrost, signal light on both sides - forward and rear facing, and a super bright backup light on both sides, really lights up the sides of your truck when backing a trailer to show obstacles. They also slide out (manually) another several inches for towing.
One caution I have, you can set up your truck options to fold in and out automatically when you start/unlock or turn off/lock and that could be an issue, it snows and freezes a lot where we live so I turned that off because water/ice/snow could damage your mirror folding gearing/mechanism if you fold it in and out after a freeze.
Attached Images

Last edited by Pick121; 12-11-2021 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Auto spell
Old 12-11-2021, 05:50 PM   #6
Pick121

Here is the pitting I am talking about. The top half of the chrome mirror is still perfect. Looking on their site, they have complete replacement parts, mirror glass, the outside caps, LED modules, so if I want I can replace the bottom piece but it is $73 for the whole set, both sides top and bottom. It doesn’t bug me that much
Attached Images

Last edited by Pick121; 12-11-2021 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Flip photo
Old 12-11-2021, 05:58 PM   #7
Pick121

Final thoughts, This company was really great IMO. The product is top notch, it has been over a year with no problems. The packaging was extremely protective with form fitting styrofoam, all parts were included with instructions, they even threw in a coozie to keep my beer cold during install.
There was one issue when I installed them, the plastic top point where it mates up to the window/door frame, there was a gap on both sides, like the mirrors came bent! I didn’t notice until both were installed and I was not happy with a pair of $1000 mirrors looking like crap. Calm myself down, after a week or 2 I looked again and they self adjusted into contact with the frame.
Attached Images

Last edited by Pick121; 12-11-2021 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Damn Auto spell