The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2022, 12:10 PM   #1
truckster

Blazer Softopper One Year Review

In case anyone is considering purchasing one, I thought I'd give a review after living with mine for a full year. I have a dark yellow Blazer and I went with the tan canvas and tinted windows.

First, the price - it's a little expensive, but since it's the only option, it's not unreasonable.

Installation - It's not all that difficult. It's easier if you have a second person to help you. There are several posts on here (including mine) regarding installation.

Durability - The frame and canvas have lasted well so far. There's some hazing and scratching on the side windows, especially where they contact the bows, but that's to be expected with plastic windows.

Weather resistance - I've driven with my Softopper in rain and snow and not had any leaks. I did run a bead of silicone under the header bar, and I used short sections of black pipe insulation in the top front corners instead of the white foam supplied with the top. I upgraded my heater when I put the truck together, so your mileage may vary if you have a stock heater, but I've been able to stay relatively warm on the coldest days. I wouldn't let more than a few inches of snow accumulate on it, but I don't have any hard evidence for how much weight it could bear.

Noise - Yes, it's going to be noisier than your hard top. My other car is also a convertible. I don't drive my Blazer on the freeway very much, but I keep ear plugs in the glove box just in case.

Up/down operation - There are a couple of options here. When the weather is going from cold to warm, I roll up the sides and back to enjoy the warm weather and roll them down when it's cold. It just takes a few minutes in either direction and can be done by one person. One note of caution: when the canvas gets cold it doesn't stretch well, and getting the sides to snap can be difficult. If you know it's going to get cold, snap the sides down before the cold hits.

You can also completely remove the top and stow it in the boot that's provided for it. This can be done by one person, but it's much easier to fold it correctly if you have two. When stowed this way, the front bows are still in place, and the boot with the top in it will block your tailgate. You can remove both by taking out the circle clips and storing it if you wish. Putting the top back on can be done fairly easily by one person with average strength. It took me about 10 minutes to do it by myself yesterday.

Overall impression - I'm glad I have my Softopper. Only time will tell how many years it will last, but I'm currently figuring out a permanent storage solution for my hard top.
Old 06-13-2022, 10:36 PM   #2
Willowrun

Re: Blazer Softopper One Year Review

Great review. I had a softopper for about 5 years on a '79 Blazer I sold last year and I had pretty much the same experience. One difference though is the '79 isn't a full convertible so it's a much easier top to make and have perform well.

I don't drive my '72 in the weather so the old school top I have on that just keeps it's window's rolled up with the top on for sun protection. The hard top has been hanging in the rafters for about 7 or 8 years and I have a barn move pending so I'm contemplating getting rid of it. Just don't want to regret it.

Great to hear the sealing is good on the full convertible soft top though as I've been concerned with that.
Willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 11:39 PM   #3
Tmend

May have got 3 bad ones myself. All leaked bad at the seams where the straps are sewed into. Even the. Straps where soaked in water. Also you can see pin holes on the canvas right at the Velcro edges right above the first bow.
Name:  6EB1F8BD-ED6B-4547-AB6A-8DDFA10E4E45.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  102.5 KB
Tmend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 11:22 AM   #4
Blazerowner

I wonder if you can have an upholsterer patch that hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmend View Post
May have got 3 bad ones myself. All leaked bad at the seams where the straps are sewed into. Even the. Straps where soaked in water. Also you can see pin holes on the canvas right at the Velcro edges right above the first bow.
Attachment 2198591
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 12:10 PM   #5
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmend View Post
Attachment 2198591
I haven't had any problems like that. Did you contact them about it?
Old 06-14-2022, 01:55 PM   #6
Tmend

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
I haven't had any problems like that. Did you contact them about it?
Yes sir,
They have me $100 back and sent me a pack of patches and an extra large tube of seam sealer lol
Old 06-14-2022, 02:53 PM   #7
truckster

Ouch. My only problem with them was shipping delays, but that was a year ago when everything was out of stock.
Old 06-14-2022, 03:02 PM   #8
hemi43

My softopper is at least 8 years old and still holding up. My biggest peeve is the noise, but that's not a Softopper issue. In fact, the truck is much more quiet with no top at all.
Taking it on and off is a royal pain in the @ss, and unfortunately due to my roll bar I can't just fold it backwards. Its a 20 minute job.
Another minor issue is rolling the window fully up with the doors closed. It is possible, but I end up opening the door a few inches, rolling the window up fully the close the door.
My top does leak along the seam directly over my head which is a nuisance, but I was able to mostly seal it up using tent seam waterproofing available at camping supply stores.
My windows are getting pretty hazy, but then again it is 8 years old. Also, if your truck has AC, don't even put it on because you'll never cool down the interior.
I would purchase another one, but it seems like they cheaped out on the newer brackets and hardware, and i'm not sure how long the new fastening system on the windshield header (no snaps) will last.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote