The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2020, 03:42 PM   #1
FatherandSon

Parking Brake Restore/Replace?

I need to either restore & adapt my 1950 AD original foot pedal parking brake and linkage to a 12 bolt rear end or replace it with a universal kit. I have all but a few of the original parts but of course they're pretty crusty. By the time I priced replacements it added up pretty quickly. I'm thinking one of you has replaced his with a universal kit with fewer headaches and dollars. If so let me know which kit and how it worked for you please. Thanks!
FatherandSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 10:30 PM   #2
nvrdone

Re: Parking Brake Restore/Replace?

ive got a 12 bolt and had the stock parking brake. When I put the axle in, I used the parking brake cables that came with the axle. I threaded the end of the cable and used a heim end to attach to the cross shaft. that worked fairly well, but with the arm that grabs the rod that goes from the pedal thru the floor ( I hope that's clear) being really worn, the parking brake didn't hold too well. so I found a pedal assembly from an S10 and mounted it to the left kick panel. then ran the cable thru the floor and back to the cross shaft. has worked great for many years. even holds the truck and my boat on the ramp when im launching the boat.
49 chevy 3100 3 window. 327 / m21 4 spd, 12 bolt w/ 3:55's
Bought in 1973 for $235.00. Had it longer than my wife & Kids!!
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 07:39 PM   #3
FatherandSon

Thanks nvrdone! Yes, I do understand your description. I don't have the original 12 bolt cables but I figure I can get those or adapt the originals AD ones. The forward linkage as well is pretty straight forward if I chose to adapt/fab there. I'm just avoiding/trying to minimize the time and money I spend on this part of the build since the gratification level is low lol.
FatherandSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:17 PM   #4
nvrdone

but the gratification level will be great knowing that the truck wont roll down the hill ……...
49 chevy 3100 3 window. 327 / m21 4 spd, 12 bolt w/ 3:55's
Bought in 1973 for $235.00. Had it longer than my wife & Kids!!
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 10:02 PM   #5
dsraven

some hose and cable shops will fab you a new park brake cable to whatever ends you need. maybe an option? aircraft supply places or winch supply places also may do that sort of thing.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:22 AM   #6
Jemezcrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherandSon View Post
I need to either restore & adapt my 1950 AD original foot pedal parking brake and linkage to a 12 bolt rear end or replace it with a universal kit. I have all but a few of the original parts but of course they're pretty crusty. By the time I priced replacements it added up pretty quickly. I'm thinking one of you has replaced his with a universal kit with fewer headaches and dollars. If so let me know which kit and how it worked for you please. Thanks!
Have you checked with Lokar? They have a cable set that is specific to Ford Explorer rear which is what I put in, so I would imagine they have a set up for the 12 bolt
Jemezcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote