The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2020, 09:30 AM   #1
Jemezcrusher

Cigarette lighter

I added a cigarette lighter to my 50 3100 and am thinking it should be fused. Not sure it was that way to begin with but I have gone up to 30 amp fuse and the lighter blows it as soon as it is pushed in in.

I won’t likely use it for it’s original purpose but would like it to work. I would also plan on using a USB charger. Should I remove the fuse (12V coming straight from ignition switch or would I risk burning up the charger.

Anyone know if it was fused originally?
Jemezcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 02:58 PM   #2
joedoh

Re: Cigarette lighter

ok some background:

cigarette lighters were originally cigarette lighters, in older gm cars and trucks they were typically on the same circuit as the dome light and fused in the fusebox at 20A.

the way a cigarette lighter works is, on the socket the outside barrel is ground and the center pin is 12v+. when you push the lighter in, there is a bimetal spring that is in contact with the outer barrel of the lighter and the center of the spring contacts the 12V+ pin creating a dead short through the spring. this short heats the bimetal spring until it changes shape enough to "pop" the lighter off the center pin. the spring stays hot enough to light a cigarette.

most cars since the late 90s have only had a "power port" socket which is in the same shape as a cigarette lighter but is lower amperage and cant handle the heat of a lighter, being mostly plastic. heavy and metal socket = lighter, light and plastic socket = power port.

if you are blowing a 30A fuse as soon as you plug it in, you either have a lighter in a power port, the center pins are slightly different and the lighter will bypass the bimetal spring and the fuse will see a dead short = blown fuse, or you have a bad lighter that has a broken spring and = dead short.

I put power ports in all my trucks, they fit in the place of the original lighter AND the original key, so I usually double up. I wouldnt use a lighter in them. there is a lighter in the s10s (a holdover?) ashtray, but I rarely take it apart far enough to get it out.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 03:10 PM   #3
mr48chev

I'm thinking "power ports" came later yet.
The 2K Cad DTS I had had lighters front and back including in each rear door. No power ports. My 98 BMW and 02 VW both have lighters and no power ports.

The question for Jemezcrusher is do you actually need a lighter? Not a social or lifestyle comment but some folks still need them some are more than happy with just a power port.

One thing I found out years ago is that you can't mix and match lighters and sockets all that often. I had one that wouldn't pop out when hot that way once. Came close to burning the wiring up on that one as it wasn't fused.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:24 PM   #4
Jemezcrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I'm thinking "power ports" came later yet.
The 2K Cad DTS I had had lighters front and back including in each rear door. No power ports. My 98 BMW and 02 VW both have lighters and no power ports.

The question for Jemezcrusher is do you actually need a lighter? Not a social or lifestyle comment but some folks still need them some are more than happy with just a power port.

One thing I found out years ago is that you can't mix and match lighters and sockets all that often. I had one that wouldn't pop out when hot that way once. Came close to burning the wiring up on that one as it wasn't fused.
Don’t need the lighter, but like the look when not using a power port. Guess I could disable the original for looks only
Old 04-21-2020, 10:20 PM   #5
mick53

I like the working lighter even if it doesn't light anything. They make some cool vintage "on the road" accessories that plug into them. You can always hide a couple of power ports somewhere. I bought one for my golf cart that has 2 power ports and 2 usb"s for not much money. They come on a mounting plate.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 10:37 PM   #6
joedoh

the ones I use from the s10 have a plastic cover on them, you can close them when not in use and when you open them the cover stays right there instead of rolling around like a lighter would.
Attached Images

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:07 AM   #7
Kevin Mac

https://www.lmctruck.com/1948-59-che...ard-components
I think I bought mine at LMC, item 12, can't remember what fuse I used but I am sure I did fuse it.
Mac
Kevin Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 09:18 AM   #8
Jemezcrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Mac View Post
https://www.lmctruck.com/1948-59-che...ard-components
I think I bought mine at LMC, item 12, can't remember what fuse I used but I am sure I did fuse it.
Mac
That is where I got Moe too. I might have gotten a defective one
Old 04-22-2020, 10:59 AM   #9
Kevin Mac

I guess you could ohm the lighter part and see if it has a dead short
Kevin Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 11:16 AM   #10
sshamu

Yes to making it fused.
I like to run everything through a relay. Less strain on the wiring system and power comes from the battery and not through a switch. I found this great video explaining why relays are safer.
https://youtu.be/MvvXGCbA5YM

I'm mouting a power socket and a usb port in the glove box. See below for the links to what I bought.
https://powerwerx.com/panel-mount-du...er-high-output
https://powerwerx.com/panel-mount-ci...ket-automotive
https://powerwerx.com/two-hole-panel-mounting-plate

Last edited by sshamu; 05-09-2020 at 02:59 PM.
sshamu is offline   Reply With Quote