The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2020, 08:18 AM   #1
Father&son56project

S10 Swap How To Thread

I noticed that the "S10 swap how to" thread has been moved into the FAQ Thread Index. I'm wondering if perhaps it should remain where it was, given how many S10 frame swaps are being done in the 47-59 board, and how many questions get instantly answered by our resident gurus. I'm just concerned that questions will go unnoticed as its kinda hidden away now.

Thoughts?

Stephan
Father&son56project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:11 AM   #2
layinrocker65

Re: S10 Swap How To Thread

I noticed that too when I couldn’t find it yesterday
‘74 Chevy C10 SWB 5.3/4L80e, Vintage Air, Dakota Digital, US Mags
layinrocker65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 11:22 AM   #3
b-mac

I concur. I won't keep up with it there. I essentially only come to the 47-59 page.
b-mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 01:27 PM   #4
mr48chev

I think that was due to someone's idea of space saving/clutter clean up. Those threads are all there but anyone who doesn't know to look there (including me) might think that they drifted off into cyber space.

That and now someone has to answer "look in the faq section" every time someone asks where they went.

It's a bit like your significant other taking your pen and tablet that you keep on the table beside your chair off to the other side of the room and sticking them in a drawer because they think the pen an tablet clutter the table even though you use them ten times a day every day to jot down notes.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 05:59 PM   #5
joedoh

the purpose of a sticky, to me, is to memorialize good info that is in the post and make it easy to find.

the purpose of a sticky, to others, seems to be making it easy, at the top of the pages, to keep conversation going.

I can see both sides of it, the memorialized threads can also get continuously updated by new posters, but can grate on people who are tired of all the non-essential info being discussed. I liked that the S10 swap was a sticky, and that new people could easily see it and ask specific questions that hadnt been covered. but I couldnt stand the blibbity blab and non truck stuff that goes on in the "what did you do to your truck today" thread, when people preface it with "NOT MY TRUCK BUT THIS IS WHAT I DID". well, go tell your friends on facebook. Or try the OT general discussion forum (which ironically has had truck stuff in it being moved to other truck sub forms lately) Guys also do not start memorialized project threads and instead continuously update the WDYD thread, leading to "do you have a project thread?" questions. I know that there are people who feel exactly opposite! they cant stand the S10 swap stuff but love the WDYD thread. 'cest la vie.

bottom line for me, as if it matters to anyone, I dont mind that the WDYD thread got passed to the FAQ index, and losing the S10 swap sticky is a more than fair trade. The drawback to BOTH is that the guys who dont have a project thread might feel slighted and stop updating the WDYD thread with their stuff, and a lot of new guys wont see the communal S10 swap thread and will ask "anybody done one?" and be told "check the FAQ", which can run them off too.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 01:14 PM   #6
1957 Chief
Proud Vet that loves the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
the purpose of a sticky, to me, is to memorialize good info that is in the post and make it easy to find.

the purpose of a sticky, to others, seems to be making it easy, at the top of the pages, to keep conversation going.

I can see both sides of it, the memorialized threads can also get continuously updated by new posters, but can grate on people who are tired of all the non-essential info being discussed. I liked that the S10 swap was a sticky, and that new people could easily see it and ask specific questions that hadnt been covered. but I couldnt stand the blibbity blab and non truck stuff that goes on in the "what did you do to your truck today" thread, when people preface it with "NOT MY TRUCK BUT THIS IS WHAT I DID". well, go tell your friends on facebook. Or try the OT general discussion forum (which ironically has had truck stuff in it being moved to other truck sub forms lately) Guys also do not start memorialized project threads and instead continuously update the WDYD thread, leading to "do you have a project thread?" questions. I know that there are people who feel exactly opposite! they cant stand the S10 swap stuff but love the WDYD thread. 'cest la vie.

bottom line for me, as if it matters to anyone, I dont mind that the WDYD thread got passed to the FAQ index, and losing the S10 swap sticky is a more than fair trade. The drawback to BOTH is that the guys who dont have a project thread might feel slighted and stop updating the WDYD thread with their stuff, and a lot of new guys wont see the communal S10 swap thread and will ask "anybody done one?" and be told "check the FAQ", which can run them off too.
Well said brother.

Bubba
1957 Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:36 PM   #7
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Maybe you could copy the link address and move that to the FAQ then you would have both.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 08:55 PM   #8
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

You guys realize it did not move, its simply unstuck.. it is still in this area. you just click the link.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 03:38 AM   #9
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
You guys realize it did not move, its simply unstuck.. it is still in this area. you just click the link.

I am not sure which "you guys" you are referring to, almost every reply in this thread directly or indirectly (but not unknowingly) acknowledges that it is still linked in the FAQ. VetteVet is the only one suggesting it be linked to the FAQ, when it already is.

I moderated a forum back in the infancy of the internet, I know how hard it is to balance what needs done with what people will resist being done. never again for me, and a lot of respect is due for those that still do.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:42 AM   #10
Father&son56project

I agree with Joedoh’s comments above. We realize that it still exists, but it's essentially “buried”. When we open up the 1947-1959 main page, we can’t see if there are fresh posts in the s10 swap thread. It's several layers away, and will therefore be easily overlooked. Newer members will likely be unaware of its existance. The result is that questions about S10 swaps will end up here in this area, rather than in the S10 swap thread (just like the current thread “Simple black steel wheels-s10 frame”). I realize it’s a balancing act, and kudos to anyone willing to take on a moderator’s job. I wasn’t trying to be negative when I suggested that the S10 Swap thread remain a visible sticky on the main page, it was just a constructive suggestion. That thread had over 400,000 views and was (and still is) the single best S10 swap thread in the entire internet. The moderators here are doing a great job, and I merely add food for thought!
Father&son56project is offline   Reply With Quote