The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2020, 09:19 AM   #1
58pan

55 GMC brake drums

I picked this 55 jimmy late last year. Now that the white stuff is gone I can work on it. The brakes are shot. I am in need of all 4 brake drums. It’s a 3/4 ton. Have any of you used rock auto ?
58pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:53 AM   #2
dsraven

Re: 55 GMC brake drums

a few friends of mine have used rock auto. they found it to be quite a bit cheaper that local. you just need to ensure you order the right stuff because returning is like it will never happen. is your truck a first series or second series 55? they are different models. one is the early version, an advanced design and the other is the late version called task force. referred to by first and second series usually. post up some pics, we like to see what you have for a project.
I suggest to measure the drum size in diameter and width and count the number of wheel stud holes etc. then go online and see if they have what you need. I would also ensure that drums are the only thing you need. pull the lips back on the wheel cylinder boots to ensure there is no rust or leakage. check the hardware that holds the shoes down against the backing plates. check the backing plates for grooves where the shoes ride, a groove will allow the new shoes to slip into the groove and cause you issues. check the adjusters and return springs. check the park brake cables and entire system to ensure everything is free moving. check the axle seals to ensure they are not seeping. check the steel brake lines and rubber brake hoses. check the bleeder screws to ensure they are useable and not seized in. check the master cylinder for rust and seepage. check all the linkage from the pedal to the master cylinder to ensure it is not worn out or seized.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 10:05 AM   #3
dsraven

sorry, shouldda read the whole post title. my apologies.
so you have a task force truck. here is a link to the assembly manual in case you want to download it onto a memory stick or your computer. it is a handy thing to see how stuff was originally put together. sometimes things get jerry rigged over the years or parts get tossed or parts from something else get used that don't really belong. it covers all the models, so COE etc, but has some good info.

https://www.trifive.com/55-59Assy.pdf

here is another site with some good info. sometimes you need to pick a year that is close because some pages are missing here and there. another good one to bookmark.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...esto/index.htm
Old 04-29-2020, 10:10 AM   #4
dsraven

are you talking about this truck from your post last year? it looks more like a 1 ton with duallies. for sure get specs on that before ordering from rock auto. maybe even take the clean parts to your local parts store to see what they have for part numbers and prices, at least you can return them that way if they don't fit.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=794410
Old 04-29-2020, 02:22 PM   #5
mr48chev

I use Rock Auto a lot, both to order and to use to get a good part number to search for the part with.

As Dsraven said, BE POSITIVE that you are looking for the parts for the correct model and that you find the line with the exact part you need.

Checking I see that they show a few options for drums for the 150 = 3/4 ton Plus not only is there a 150 there is a 150-22 Meaning you have to figure that issue out as the 150-22 seems to be the HD version. Looking at this https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+hub,drum,1744 I am wondering if the 150-22 is a dual rear wheel rig.

You might also want to check O'Reilly's right now. they give pretty good specs on the drums they list plus it looks like if you order online and pick the parts up at the store right now you can get some pretty good discounts that bring the price down plus if you order it in with the stock order no freight charges. What I am saying here is do some comparison shopping. The what will my cost buy if I buy from the cheap place plus pay shipping compared to what will it be if I buy through or order though a local store and maybe get the current online discount You can get 20% off ordering on line with a discount that maxes out at 50.00 but that helps a bit https://www.oreillyauto.com/coupons-...#offer-details

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:39 PM   #6
burnin oil

rock auto pretty much was the only place listing dually drums for my 57. Seems any of the HO72 dual drums are hard to find. The pre 1970 version are available and I have one outside if you need a measurement on them.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:10 PM   #7
58pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
are you talking about this truck from your post last year? it looks more like a 1 ton with duallies. for sure get specs on that before ordering from rock auto. maybe even take the clean parts to your local parts store to see what they have for part numbers and prices, at least you can return them that way if they don't fit.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=794410
I believe the rear is this truck to be the stock 3/4 ton. It looks to me like someone just bolted a pair of duallys on it. It has leaf springs on the rear but they also added coil springs and the spring pack is 12 I thought stock was 9?
58pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:43 PM   #8
dsraven

you could submit the vin to the gm heritage center and they will tell you what was stock on it. they are pretty quick with a response.

http://www.gmmediaarchive.com/

or this

vehicleinvoice@gmmediaarchive.com

either way, I would pull the drums and check out everything in there to ensure you get what you need the first time. like said earlier, if you check the local parts places at least you have a sample to compare. also, if it was possibly retrofitted with duallies, insure to check the stud sizes to ensure a set of single wheels will fit over. I think the actual duallie trucks had a different hub set up with less studs. don't quote me though.
Old 04-29-2020, 10:20 PM   #9
mikebte

Funny you should ask as I had a box arrive today from Rockauto with my new drum brakes and wheel cylinders.

Here is a discount code. Expires May 3

mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote