The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2020, 12:54 PM   #1
Cmillet

Dolphin gauge w gps 1950 AD

Has anyone used the Dolphin gauges with a gps speedometer? Was wondering if they had any problems, accuracy, does it calculate odometer also?
Cmillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 02:41 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Dolphin gauge w gps 1950 AD

I'm not finding a set of instructions but most GPS speedometer/odometers are pretty easy to set up and are spot on accurate.

You might have issues in tunnels, or in a city with tall buildings blocking the signal for a bit but other than that they work good.

No issues with tire size changes or gear ratio changes.

I have used my hand held GPS that I have for my boat, the dash mount car gps that I have had for years or my phone's GPS speedometer app in my ot truck as a speedometer since that truck's speedometer is broken. All work equally well except when there is actually something blocking the signal and the odometer functions seem to pick right back up and stay accurate. I know one guy who use the phone app speedometer to drive clear across the country and back last year. That said I don't really see an issue with the GPS speedometers and the best part is you don't have to fight with calibrating them like you do with a mechanical speedometer.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 05:46 PM   #3
MiraclePieCo

I was actually kinda disappointed that Dolphin introduced their GPS speedo option just AFTER I bought my gauge set from them. I got the programmable electric, but if they'd had the GPS unit that would have been my first choice. Phone apps have almost rendered vehicle speedometers obsolete. I use one called DigiHUD - it works awesome, even tells me the speed limit of the road I'm on in case I can't see a sign.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:53 PM   #4
mick53

On my Dakota gauges the odometer function has a little tab on it. The odometer doesn't start until you pull the tab out. It's nice for testing when building. Once you pull the tab out there is no looking back.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:45 PM   #5
Cmillet

Thanks for the replies. Mick, are you talking about the model with the GPS?
Cmillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:06 PM   #6
mick53

On the dakota HDX all the extras are modular. Things like cruize, gps, boost or individual tire pressure are just separate modules that that you buy and plug in and they read on your main guage. I think there are 16 different one in all.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:26 PM   #7
65blackfleetside

four years ago I bought a set of new dolphins for my 1965 C10 - I was not happy at all. I don't think any of the five gauges were accurate. I would stay away from them. spend the extra$ and Go with dakota. Gauges are something that I would never cut cost on again.
Old 05-04-2020, 03:58 AM   #8
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65blackfleetside View Post
four years ago I bought a set of new dolphins for my 1965 C10 - I was not happy at all. I don't think any of the five gauges were accurate. I would stay away from them. spend the extra$ and Go with dakota. Gauges are something that I would never cut cost on again.
How were they not accurate - low, high, erratic, what?

Dolphin gauges are very sensitive to grounding requirements. Gauges and senders must have excellent grounds, ie no sealer on sender threads, no rusty dash rivets, etc etc.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:36 AM   #9
65blackfleetside

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
How were they not accurate - low, high, erratic, what?

Dolphin gauges are very sensitive to grounding requirements. Gauges and senders must have excellent grounds, ie no sealer on sender threads, no rusty dash rivets, etc etc.
Temp read lower than a actual. Oil Pressure was way low . The Tach was double the actual RPM of motor. Honestly after I installed them -I was pissed. I Could not return them because now they were "used" .

I went crazy with new grounds everywhere so i know that was not the problem.

Maybe I just got a bad set?
Old 05-04-2020, 08:50 AM   #10
mick53

On the Dakota the gps updates 10 times a second and has memory for when you lose signal. I'm guessing it's using the tach. One thing that sold me on dakota is that I don't have to buy everything at once. If I want to add outside temp and compass later I just buy the module and plug it in.