The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2021, 12:18 AM   #1
Accelo

Installing tailgate trim.

I have been working on installing the tailgate trim pieces and am having some difficulties. Fist it not a surprise this trim isn't like the original stuff. That out of the way is time to do what I can with whats available.
First;
I installed the center bezel. I made a drill template so I could get the hole spacing correct. The re-pop stud's center-line is off from the assembly manual by .020. Doesn't seem like much but the barrel nuts have no tolerance for error.
Second;
The edge of the aluminum trim doesn't fit the center handle bezel. I suspect they are manufactured by different companies. But the end of the aluminum piece failed to surround the chrome center handle. I have taken some pictures. Not much I can do here. My only thought was to cut the aluminum trim a little shorter so it would fit the handle better as the handle bezel is tapered at the ends, thus it may look a little better. In the pictures the aluminum is only slid on about half the way it needs to be. The aluminum trim was made by Counter Parts. 62-319 Tailgate trim, upper left, 67-72.
Third;
I laid out the holes for the aluminum trim strip figuring they would be in the center of the trim strip. The clip's center is offset at least an 1/8" from the center of the aluminum strip. Again pictures included. Then, I figured out I was installing the clips incorrectly, as shown in the photo. When I reversed the clips lined up with the center to the aluminum. It works a lot better if you install the clips correctly. The clips I purchased look like the a smaller version of the ones used to install the tail-light bezels.
The assembly manual doesn't give the hole diameter. I will have to drill some test holes to see what works best.

I am confident GM assembly line workers took 30 seconds to install this trim. I am counting the hours and I am not done.
Attached Images

Last edited by Accelo; 10-28-2021 at 01:52 AM.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 09:59 AM   #2
geunther

Re: Installing tailgate trim.

GM made sure everything fit before going into production obviously. But it looks like you are getting there. You might massage the aluminum trim a bit to get the fit better, working back so the transition between the way it is and the way you want it is extended over a few inches. There is quite a difference in the profile from factory but nothing that cant be reshaped.

The center piece looks fairly close to original shape.
Attached Images

geunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 12:52 PM   #3
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

My trim/clips came from GMCPaul's and I personally thought it didn't look all that good when it lays over the handle's trim. I haven't any idea about the holes, my brother did all that but I supplied him the manual scans - which looks just like yours.

I suppose it is what it is... like the bad color match for my tailgate from the body shop.... grrr.

Anyways, figured I'd share my photo where the trim was source at a different place.
Attached Images

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 01:19 PM   #4
sick472

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich72C10 View Post
My trim/clips came from GMCPaul's and I personally thought it didn't look all that good when it lays over the handle's trim. I haven't any idea about the holes, my brother did all that but I supplied him the manual scans - which looks just like yours.

I suppose it is what it is... like the bad color match for my tailgate from the body shop.... grrr.

Anyways, figured I'd share my photo where the trim was source at a different place.
This photo appears to have the right-hand trim piece on the left side.

BTW, my tailgate trim came from GMC Paul's too and had a poor fit at the center piece, but did not need to be cut down...AND, the center piece posts were a tad bit wider than the OEM holes. The piece did go in, but has a very slight bend to it due to having to conform to the shorter hole distance. I did not try to manipulate the joint between the center and side piece besides widening the SS trim just a bit where it meets the center piece. I figured doing more than that would look even worse. All in all, it sure looks better than the old nasty pieces.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 01:29 PM   #5
geunther

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick472 View Post
Nice catch. And agree thats what it looks like.
geunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 01:29 PM   #6
Accelo

Thanks for the pictures and feedback.
Wish I knew which was off the most, the handle bezel or the aluminum. Likely a little of both but I think the bezel is the major culprit.
I'll post some pictures finished. I suspect this is one of the details that looks intolerable but few will notice once it's installed.
Old 10-28-2021, 01:36 PM   #7
Caddylackn

I have the exact same problem. I will live with it for now, until I see an easy way to fix this. You can smooth it and shape it some but some trimming will need to be done to get the overlap to fit tight.

Another example of cheap reproduction parts.
Old 10-28-2021, 01:38 PM   #8
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick472 View Post

BTW, my tailgate trim came from GMC Paul's too and had a poor fit at the center piece, but did not need to be cut down...AND, the center piece posts were a tad bit wider than the OEM holes. The piece did go in, but has a very slight bend to it due to having to conform to the shorter hole distance. I did not try to manipulate the joint between the center and side piece besides widening the SS trim just a bit where it meets the center piece. I figured doing more than that would look even worse. All in all, it sure looks better than the old nasty pieces.
Great, you can't get good (free) help these days - freaking brother of mine! Now I have to figure out how to pop them off and swap them (I assume).

Edit:
Okay used my little door panel tool, don't know what you call this tool or those little plastic push things but it worked for the tailgate trim. It certainly looks better!
Attached Images

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim

Last edited by Rich72C10; 10-28-2021 at 01:54 PM.
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 10:58 PM   #9
Accelo

Yours looks much better than the set I received. Almost decent.

I worked on mine again today. I found the tailgate handle would hit the chrome bezel when I opened the tail gate.

Since I had only drilled the bezel holes the stud size and had not clearance the holes for the push in sleeves yet, I attempted to move the holes up. This was to provide some more clearance for the bezel. Well it kind of worked. I also moved the handle down some by slotting the holes where the latch bolts in. I was able to improve the issue but not completely solve it. In the picture you can see some missing paint on the handle. I just noticed the other handle pictures posted seem to have the same issue. Just another reason to complete assemble everything before painting. I am confident he stacking of tolerances is what is screwing this project up.

The lip on the side of the tailgate is .080 difference between one side and the other. This made it difficult to get the edge clips in as you have to start a nut on the inside lip. On the Left side I couldn't use the provided well-nut as there wasn't enough clearance between the tailgate wall and the hold to start the nut on the stud. One of the clips worked great. The second studded clip broke the first time I bent the wire to install it. Picture included.

I had a perfect OEM tailgate I wish I would have kept.
Attached Images
Attached Images