The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-27-2017, 10:50 PM   #1
Stephen62Stepside

1962 C10 Steering / Shifting - Play at Wheel end of Column

Hello,
First time posting but this forum has been a great resource for the 1962 C10 stepside I bought a few weeks ago.
I have a specific issue for which I have found no discussions. The truck has been converted to a TH350 automatic, shifted from the column via the top (of two) arms from the original "3 on the tree" setup. That all works fine but the issue is in the cab. I pulled the steering wheel and what i have found is that the shifting tube which rides inside the column and around the steering shaft has excessive play. To me it seems like if the shifting tube were 1/4 inch lower it would sit more inside the 2" column tube and be stable but I have found no adjustment for that.
I found the thread with a diagram of the column and everything looks the same. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4551646
I would really like to avoid spending hundreds on a new tilt column and feel like I am very close to a solution but am missing something obvious like a depth adjustment.
I have a video of the issue here https://youtu.be/aSe1kXRUwLg You can see especially at the bottom position how the shift tube seems not to be constrained enough inside the 2" column.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Stephen
Stephen62Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:32 PM   #2
chevylookin

Re: 1962 C10 Steering / Shifting - Play at Wheel end of Column

Hi, welcome to the forum! I have never worked on a column shift for these trucks but did you remove anything else from your column besides the wheel? The turnsignal switch assembly has a bearing in it that keeps that altogether.
chevylookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:03 AM   #3
Stephen62Stepside

Re: 1962 C10 Steering / Shifting - Play at Wheel end of Column

Hi chevylookin, yes I removed the turn signal assembly and its housing, which as you pointed out contains the bearing centering the steering column. The problem I am concerned with is the centering of the shift tube.
I took a fresh look this morning and determined that the only thing centering it is some tabs on the back of the turn signal housing, which was not present in my video. Not perfect but maybe that is all they intended back then.
Next challenge is to stop the play in that housing. It is attached with three screws to the locking plate. I am thinking I will somehow shim the plate so it cannot move.
Have a safe holiday everyone!
Stephen62Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote