The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds 88-98

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-09-2014, 04:15 PM   #1
Dustinmk4

Anyone have experience with the radiator classic brand radiators on ebay?

So I am thinking I'll buy this to replace my factory rad that took a crap recently.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400735756461...84.m1423.l2648
Anyone ever used them?

The reviews and seller rating are really good. Price is right for an all aluminum with lifetime warranty. What say you?
Old 08-09-2014, 04:28 PM   #2
Dustinmk4

Re: Anyone have experience with the radiator classic brand radiators on ebay?

Oops, didn't realize I was in the wrong section. Mods please move, sorry.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:22 AM   #3
stevejohnson48

I got one in my 90 Z71, I like it it was a deal after price comparing??/ Plus factor of being aluminum ??/ Had a leak around the top hose lose clamp my fault but it discolored the aluminum ?// Haven't had a chance to polish it out yet ??/ Seams to cool as good if not better than the stock Radiator ??/
stevejohnson48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:23 PM   #4
79silveradobig10

i bought a murray from a parts store with my employee discount for less than half price
Old 09-05-2014, 11:20 AM   #5
Dustinmk4

Got it, installed it with new hoses and a new thermostat. I think it works a little too well! With a 180 stat I have a hard time breaking 160 even running a/c in the driveway with little to no air flow going through the rad. Hopefully I don't get froze out this winter, I might have to convert over to an electric fan that I can turn off to get the heat up a bit more but other than that I couldn't be happier, great piece.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:36 PM   #6
stevejohnson48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinmk4 View Post
Got it, installed it with new hoses and a new thermostat. I think it works a little too well! With a 180 stat I have a hard time breaking 160 even running a/c in the driveway with little to no air flow going through the rad. Hopefully I don't get froze out this winter, I might have to convert over to an electric fan that I can turn off to get the heat up a bit more but other than that I couldn't be happier, great piece.
I got the same problem in a astro though its I believe its because of a faulty thermostat ??/ Simply no water is suppose to leave the block until its at the temperature that the thermostat is set at all water is suppose to exit through the thermostat and until that water in the block reaches what ever your thermostat is 160, 180 what ever the water in the block should stay there ??/unless say you had a clockwise turning water pump in a reverse clockwise block pulley configuration
stevejohnson48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:14 PM   #7
Dustinmk4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejohnson48 View Post
I got the same problem in a astro though its I believe its because of a faulty thermostat ??/ Simply no water is suppose to leave the block until its at the temperature that the thermostat is set at all water is suppose to exit through the thermostat and until that water in the block reaches what ever your thermostat is 160, 180 what ever the water in the block should stay there ??/unless say you had a clockwise turning water pump in a reverse clockwise block pulley configuration
You bring up a few good points that I'll have to double check on. It is entirely possible that I got a 160 stat instead of 180, I have seen stranger mix ups when buying parts. Also I didn't even thing about the water pump, I'm fairly certain that I installed the belt correctly but I'll look again, I'm not perfect by any means. And just to make sure, which is inlet and which is outlet on the radiator? I know which way it is flowing through the rad so that would tell me if the pump is being driven backwards.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:49 PM   #8
lha1992

Just FYI our trucks that have TBI need a 195deg thermostat in order to go into open loop an run optimal otherwise the computer is going to make the engine run much richer an run not well.
lha1992 is offline   Reply With Quote