The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2022, 09:12 PM   #126
rnrdthefox

Re: 1953 3100 "Honey-do"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsinon View Post
Great project
Thanks much appreciated.
rnrdthefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 08:51 AM   #127
Father&son56project

That's a lot of good progress. Reshaping that Impalla lens with a heat gun was a clever idea (I didn't realize you could do that with the plastic in the factory lenses).
Father&son56project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:12 AM   #128
8man

That's gonna be a nice interior.
Build thread: "]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=746899&highlight=wife%27s+48[/URL]
[/URL]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=840204
8man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 09:02 PM   #129
rnrdthefox

Ok. I'm back at it. The Doc said I could start doing lite duty in the garage again. Can't lift anything heavy above me or extended from my body. But at least I get to do something again.

I started by finishing up the third taillight. I'm happy with how it looks. It's a snug fit inside between the wall support. I ended up welding a stud and making a small bracket on the driver side. On the passenger side, I ended up welding a nut on the back side for a screw to tighten that side down. I will eventually cut the screw down so that it's flush. It's a tight fit and I need that side open to wiggle the light into place. Both should hold the light securely and keep the foam weather strip tight enough to keep water out.
Attached Images

Last edited by rnrdthefox; 04-10-2022 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-10-2022, 09:04 PM   #130
rnrdthefox

I raised the transmission tail a bit and it was enough that I needed to rework the transmission tunnel.
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2022, 09:08 PM   #131
rnrdthefox

Finally, I decided to finish up the transmission shift cable. Since I'm moving the column shifter to the center console, I needed to shorten up the cable. I ended up taking about 3 feet out of it and it's still a little long but workable.

First, I took the cable end bracket of the steering column and moved it to the console frame. The movement is about 3 inches from Park to Drive and I made sure that I picked a location on the shift rod that would equal this.
Attached Images

Last edited by rnrdthefox; 04-10-2022 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-10-2022, 09:16 PM   #132
rnrdthefox

The cables have a joint in them where the two sections connect, and it allows the overall length to be slightly adjustable. One end has a point that is crimped to the end of the cable and a grove for a retaining clip. I ended up making this part on the lathe.

I cut about 3 feet out of the section that had the pointed connector. This connector fits into a female cone section that has groves that clips the point and cone together.
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2022, 09:21 PM   #133
rnrdthefox

I cut the male end of the "joint" and drilled out the cable end. Once this was done, I cut both the cable and sheath to the desired length and put the end back on and then crimped the new male point end on.

Then reassembled and adjusted length. I was also able to use the gromet that came out of the floor of the donor.

Hope this makes sense. I didn't take picture of some of the steps.

Thats all for now. Thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by rnrdthefox; 04-10-2022 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-11-2022, 02:38 AM   #134
dsraven

nice work, take your time and don't get too ambitious. this is advice coming from a guy who has had 4 major rotator cuff surgeries. concentrate on getting better with time spent in the gym on your exercises. the physio therapist doesn't make you better, they just check your progress and give more involved exercises as you are ready. the getting better part is up to you. best of luck with the recovery process, oh, and your project too. lol.
dsraven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 07:11 AM   #135
Father&son56project

That was a lot of fiddly work to get that cable to the correct length and routed properly. Good job! As for a slight adjustment to the tail of the tranny requiring a whole new tunnel, isn't the Domino Effect just a treat on these old trucks? I swear that half of my build time is altering/removing/extending/adjusting stuff after visits from my dear old friend, Mr. Domino
Father&son56project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 08:09 AM   #136
8man

Nice work. I like the 3rd brake light, and man is it tight in there.
Build thread: "]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=746899&highlight=wife%27s+48[/URL]
[/URL]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=840204
8man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 10:36 PM   #137
rnrdthefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
nice work, take your time and don't get too ambitious. this is advice coming from a guy who has had 4 major rotator cuff surgeries. concentrate on getting better with time spent in the gym on your exercises. the physio therapist doesn't make you better, they just check your progress and give more involved exercises as you are ready. the getting better part is up to you. best of luck with the recovery process, oh, and your project too. lol.
Thanks for the advice. I'm not going to ask why you needed 4. That has to be about a year and half combined of your life doing rehab!
Old 04-11-2022, 10:38 PM   #138
rnrdthefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father&son56project View Post
That was a lot of fiddly work to get that cable to the correct length and routed properly. Good job! As for a slight adjustment to the tail of the tranny requiring a whole new tunnel, isn't the Domino Effect just a treat on these old trucks? I swear that half of my build time is altering/removing/extending/adjusting stuff after visits from my dear old friend, Mr. Domino
Thanks. Fiddly is a good word for it. I tend to do to much head scratching before I actually commit and dive in. I only had to make the cable end twice since I didn't measure properly the first time. Luck for me it was on the long side.
Old 04-11-2022, 10:39 PM   #139
rnrdthefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8man View Post
Nice work. I like the 3rd brake light, and man is it tight in there.
Thanks.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:54 PM   #140
rnrdthefox

I've been busy, just not a lot to show for it. I decided to try my hand at some bodywork. I started on the passenger side door first and then moved to the driver side. In all, I spent about a week on each door including the inner and outer window trim. I think I will get faster (and better) with time as I was finding my way at first. I plan to do a couple coats of high build polyester next. Anyway, here are some pics.
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2022, 05:00 PM   #141
rnrdthefox

more pics... I think I did a better job on the driver's door. It's also hard to see the filler in the pics against the white epoxy. But I didn't a better job not sanding down to metal. I didn't get any faster on the second door as it was till about a week of time. Slowly moving along.
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2022, 05:07 PM   #142
rnrdthefox

This weekend I decided to try an inner and outer fender. I was pleased with both fenders and was surprised how the outer fender turned out considering I started with three very large dents in the top. I have a feel for things now and feel like I understand what needs to be done in this phase of the project. It's just a lot of time and patience.

I ordered some more flexible sanding blocks. Right now, I have a Durablock set that works well, but doesn't conform to the curves of a fender well.

I used some reinforced filler - Kitty Hair on the lower part of the fender where it bolts to the running boards thinking it was a stress area since I had to fix a stress crack there.

That's all for now. Thx
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2022, 05:48 PM   #143
dsraven

looks pretty good. when applying the filler it is good if it goes over the primer with no bare metal. the filler is like a sponge and holds moisture so the primer is the seal between that and the metal.
for long straight things, like doors, I try to use a long stiff sandpaper holder and some of those long narrow sanding strips available at the body shop supply. actually, I use a piece of 3/4 plywood for the sanding board and simply staple the paper to the top side after bending around the ends of the board. with little pressure applied, so the metal doesn't spring away, the panels will come out very smooth and straight. there is also stuff called guide coat that is handy. it is a darker color than the primer and sands easy so it will show up any high spots right away when sanding.
Old 05-16-2022, 11:23 PM   #144
e015475

Just a couple of suggestions for you-

- dsraven's guide coat suggestion is a good idea if you're not doing it. Get the powder type. This is the one I use- little pricey but saves money and time in the long run.

https://www.amazon.com/Mirka-9193500.../dp/B00GTYHCGG

- dsraven's suggestion for a long board is good too. I have Durablocks, but my favorite is a piece of balsa about an inch thick and 12" long. For smaller detail work I usually just cut up a paint stick or find some object in the shop to fit the contour (I have a few brooms with short handles now)

- I like the Featherfill G2 spray-on polyester filler. I usually go through a few rounds of spraying-blocking with 80 grit before coat of epoxy primer to make sure things are perfectly flat

- Looks like a MarK bed. Now's the time you want to decide if you want all the spot welds to show through the top coat. If you don't, you should fill them and block them flat, followed with some etch primer then some spray/block with Featherfill G2

- The two rivet heads in the middle of the rear fender tend to move around and crack the top coat. You might think about removing the center brace and welding the holes shut to side-step that future problem

- Now is also a good time to decide if you're going to use fender welt between the bedside and the fenders. If you are not going to use welt, it pays to give some attention to the bolt flange/fender edge on the fender to make sure it is crisp and flat and the gap is even. The MarK bedsides are pretty flat, but a fender with a wandering flange will make them wavy when you bolt them up

- Your wheel tubs look very similar to mine with a flanged edge. You might want to check where the carriage bolts go through the bed and make sure the lip of the carriage bolt head doesn't interfere with the tub flange.
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 12:15 AM   #145
dsraven

funny, I have some broom handle sanding sticks too. also a variety of office erasers, some big and some small. they fit a slow contour and work great for wet sanding plastic headlights before buffing them to be crystal clear again. I also have a set of durablocks, theyre great too. doing a cross hatch pattern will keep you from making a sanding mistake in the same place, like always sanding a certain way over a body line or slow curve. going at that area in a different direction every once in awhile will stop a mistake from happening where the crisp body line turns into a slow sagging looking body line.
wet sanding and using a damp rag to wipe down will work the same as a rag of wax and grease remover.
Old 05-17-2022, 12:49 AM   #146
rnrdthefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
looks pretty good. when applying the filler it is good if it goes over the primer with no bare metal. the filler is like a sponge and holds moisture so the primer is the seal between that and the metal.
for long straight things, like doors, I try to use a long stiff sandpaper holder and some of those long narrow sanding strips available at the body shop supply. actually, I use a piece of 3/4 plywood for the sanding board and simply staple the paper to the top side after bending around the ends of the board. with little pressure applied, so the metal doesn't spring away, the panels will come out very smooth and straight. there is also stuff called guide coat that is handy. it is a darker color than the primer and sands easy so it will show up any high spots right away when sanding.
Thanks for the comments. I currently just have a durablock set. But today, ordered a few more blocks for the toolbox. I haven't been using guide coat for the filler. It makes sense though.
Old 05-17-2022, 12:57 AM   #147
rnrdthefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by e015475 View Post
Just a couple of suggestions for you-

- dsraven's guide coat suggestion is a good idea if you're not doing it. Get the powder type. This is the one I use- little pricey but saves money and time in the long run.

https://www.amazon.com/Mirka-9193500.../dp/B00GTYHCGG

- dsraven's suggestion for a long board is good too. I have Durablocks, but my favorite is a piece of balsa about an inch thick and 12" long. For smaller detail work I usually just cut up a paint stick or find some object in the shop to fit the contour (I have a few brooms with short handles now)

- I like the Featherfill G2 spray-on polyester filler. I usually go through a few rounds of spraying-blocking with 80 grit before coat of epoxy primer to make sure things are perfectly flat

- Looks like a MarK bed. Now's the time you want to decide if you want all the spot welds to show through the top coat. If you don't, you should fill them and block them flat, followed with some etch primer then some spray/block with Featherfill G2

- The two rivet heads in the middle of the rear fender tend to move around and crack the top coat. You might think about removing the center brace and welding the holes shut to side-step that future problem

- Now is also a good time to decide if you're going to use fender welt between the bedside and the fenders. If you are not going to use welt, it pays to give some attention to the bolt flange/fender edge on the fender to make sure it is crisp and flat and the gap is even. The MarK bedsides are pretty flat, but a fender with a wandering flange will make them wavy when you bolt them up

- Your wheel tubs look very similar to mine with a flanged edge. You might want to check where the carriage bolts go through the bed and make sure the lip of the carriage bolt head doesn't interfere with the tub flange.
Thanks for the comments about the rivets. I wondered about that. Now I need to take a harder look at that. So you are saying remove the brace entirely and just weld up the holes, right? No need for the brace to keep the fender more rigid?

Good comment on the spot welds. Was thinking about leaving them as they fit the style of the truck.

Was thinking about welting on the fenders as I think it gives a cleaner look. I've spent some time straightening the metal flange on the fender. Could use a little more work though. Right now the fender only has three bolts holding it on.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:45 AM   #148
dsraven

it may be an idea to use some sort of home made spreader bar on he back side for the fender attachment bolts in order to avoid some of the waves that may come when tightening the bolts with no welting. that would spread the weght over a longer area and attempt to make both parts conform to the shape of the spreader bar. something with some heft to it would be best I suppose, instead of just the sheet metal from the fender flange.
the old fashioned sticky backed sandpaper discs used on the da sanders work great for using on the home made backer boards, just cut the paper to size and stick it on the broom handle or whatever you have made, be that a broom handle, office eraser or chunk of wood you have custom shaped. also, drawing the sander across at an angle and doing a cross hatch pattern will help to keep from digginhg a hole or pathway into the high build primer or body filler or whatever you are sanding
Old 05-17-2022, 01:45 PM   #149
e015475

So you are saying remove the brace entirely and just weld up the holes, right? No need for the brace to keep the fender more rigid?

That's what I did, but you need to make sure the rear brace is there. I watched an AD truck enter the freeway and the back of the fender fluttered back and forth a couple inches without the rear brace.

Was thinking about welting on the fenders as I think it gives a cleaner look

Here's mine. Found some automotive vinyl that matched the color pretty well and had them sewn up at an upholstery shop

Good comment on the spot welds. Was thinking about leaving them as they fit the style of the truck.

I spot welded my tubs to the MarK bedsides to reduce the warpage as much as I could, then used seam sealer to make a fillet between the tub and the bed. Here's a foto of mine. I used polished carriage bolts to mount the fenders. You can also see my screw-up where the tub flange partially covered one of the bed wood bolts

dsraven said use some sort of home made spreader bar on he back side for the fender attachment bolts in order to avoid some of the waves that may come when tightening the bolts

Because I didn't pay enough attention to the fit-up of my front fenders to the body, this is exactly what I had to do - even with welt you could see the gap was wider in one place. I made some 1/4" plates to distribute the load and pull the flanges together, it worked, but was a PITA

I haven't been using guide coat for the filler.

I can't get a panel flat and straight without it. "Bad Chad" on Youtube has some good video on how to use Featherfill, guide coat and block sanding to get a panel straight. He's kind of a hack with mechanical things and his mannerisms drive me nuts, but his bodywork videos makes good points (but maybe that's just because that's the way I do it too) YMMV
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 04:33 PM   #150
rnrdthefox

Over the long weekend, I continued my bodywork and epoxy tasks. After much thought, I took the advice of e015475 and removed the rivets and brace from the rear fenders. I hated to have to rework the one fender that was body worked, but did it anyway. It wasn't that much more work, I just hate taking steps backward.

Also, took his advice and bought the suggested guide coat. I was always planning on using guide coat when I went to high-build but it seemed to make sense to do it now and save some work later. I spent some time on the fender that I reworked, and indeed I did find some low spots. I left a couple of the low spots to get a feel for the high-build poly and see what it does. I think it will fill them in, but we shall see.

I disassembled the bed, prepped it for epoxy. While doing this, the subliminal suggestion from e015475 about filling in the spot welds kept creeping into my thoughts. I finally caved and spent the time (a lot of time for ~ 250 spotwelds) grinding and filling in the spot welds. In the end, I know I will have a nicer product. But, in the middle of it, I was a little grumpy.

I've basically got the doors, bed, fenders, tubs, and rear bumper ready for high build. I'm waiting on a larger spray nozzle kit to come in that will spray the high-build. Hopefully, the next update will have all of that done and ready for blocking. Anyway, here are a few picks.
Attached Images