The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2019, 10:17 PM   #1
Roostre

Roostre's 1967 C20

I've been lurking here for a while and decided to sign up. I am also starting this thread in hopes of keeping myself on track with my truck. This will also give me a record of the changes to the truck. I bought this 1967 C20 about 8 years ago. I found it on CL for $600. It had a flatbed, and quite a bit of rust that I managed to overlook. It spent a couple of years with me just driving around, fixing things as they came up. The first year I pulled the heads off of the 327 and had them freshened up.

Next, I found a bed from a later truck that someone had turned into a trailer. I thought it was pretty straight for the $400 the guy was asking for it, so I bought it and installed it on the truck.

I will update other things I've done to it in future posts, but here's a picture of how it sits today. As soon as my yard firms up enough to get it into the shop, the cab will be coming off and getting a new floor, rockers, and cab corners so I can more safely drive the thing (seatbelts!) As a bonus, the body lines will line up when the rear cab brace is actually existent, rather than reduced to a little bit of rust.
Attached Images

Last edited by Roostre; 04-02-2019 at 10:23 PM.
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:20 PM   #2
Roostre

Re: Roostre's 1967 C20

Here's a picture of the flatbed that was on the truck when I bought it. Not a bad flatbed, just not the look I like. Now I just need to find a different box to put on my trailer. It pulls really well, and I hate to lose it!
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2019, 11:24 PM   #3
Barnfind46

You got a bed and a spare rearend for $400.00. Not bad!
Old 04-03-2019, 08:16 AM   #4
Roostre

It's just the housing and axles, someone pulled the center section and put a plate over the hole, but yes, I thought it was a good deal. Thanks!
Old 07-07-2019, 08:29 PM   #5
Roostre

I picked up a fairly straight 67 grill and a pickle fork from our local grab and go today for $37.95. It's a little bent, but definitely fixable and much better than my current one (the red one in the picture).

Not a bad day for an afternoon of screwing around.
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2019, 11:02 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostre View Post
I picked up a fairly straight 67 grill and a pickle fork from our local grab and go today for $37.95. It's a little bent, but definitely fixable and much better than my current one (the red one in the picture).

Not a bad day for an afternoon of screwing around.

Another good find. Keep it up and you will end up with a nice, reasonably priced truck....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:17 AM   #7
Roostre

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Another good find. Keep it up and you will end up with a nice, reasonably priced truck....

LockDoc
Thanks! That's the dream!
Old 06-26-2020, 09:56 PM   #8
Roostre

It has been a while since I've posted any progress on the truck. Life got busy, and I haven't gotten nearly as far as I would hope. I have been plugging away though. First up, the right front fender cup that seems to rust on most of these trucks around here.

Before:

And after:

Up next is to put a patch panel on the back side of the fender. Apparently a previous owner was a sculptor. They "fixed" a spot where the body line was pressed in by carving a new body line out of bondo.

Attached Images

Last edited by Roostre; 06-26-2020 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-26-2020, 09:57 PM   #9
Roostre

Pictures didn't work. Guess I'll have to try again.

Attached photos for those like me that enjoy them!

Last edited by Roostre; 06-26-2020 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:08 PM   #10
Roostre

Now onto the grill. I decided that the green one was too dented to mess with, so I cut the part that I needed off of it for my original. Certainly not a perfect job, but once there's a little bondo to smooth out the weld, it should be fine for my driver. It's better than the pierced, bent original.
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2020, 10:15 PM   #11
Roostre

Finally, onto the drip rail. The sealer was cracked out of my drip rail and there was rust starting there. As I cleaned the old sealer out, I ran across more bondo from the sculptor. It looks like the dent is about half way across the cab and 8 to 10 inches up onto the roof. I managed to get a replacement skin for a great deal as it has a few small dings in it from shipping. I think I can make it good enough with some hammer and dolly work. Or I can cut out a patch for the section of roof that I need.

Now I have a question for those that have done it: How do you weld the rear of the roof skin to the rear of the cab? It looks to be spot welded internally. I can take it apart, but how does one re-attach the skin? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2020, 10:22 PM   #12
HO455
Post Whore

Keep trying on the photos. We do like pictures around here. I highly recommend keeping a thread on your truck. It has been a great experience for this old man. The feedback and just the amount of views I have end up getting really push me to get at things on the truck sooner and I plan those jobs out more so I remember to get the camera involved. My simple repair thread has turned into 600 plus posts with over 75,000 views and most importantly it's an invaluable resource I find myself referring back to constantly when I'm contemplating my next task. And it is also serves as my backup, backup photo storage location.
If you do a search there are some very good instructions on posting that got this old guy able to post like a semi-pro.

Okay looks like you have conquered the photo posting problem. Excellent!
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:26 PM   #13
Roostre

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Keep trying on the photos. We do like pictures around here. I highly recommend keeping a thread on your truck. It has been a great experience for this old man. The feedback and just the amount of views I have end up getting really push me to get at things on the truck sooner and I plan those jobs out more so I remember to get the camera involved. My simple repair thread has turned into 600 plus posts with over 75,000 views and most importantly it's an invaluable resource I find myself referring back to constantly when I'm contemplating my next task. And it is also serves as my backup, backup photo storage location.
If you do a search there are some very good instructions on posting that got this old guy able to post like a semi-pro.

Okay looks like you have conquered the photo posting problem. Excellent!
Thanks for the encouragement, that's what I really love about this site! I did manage to get them attached, just takes a bit to remember how to do it. That means I have to do it more often I guess.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:15 PM   #14
Shaky
Six in a row makes it go...

Quote:
Now I have a question for those that have done it: How do you weld the rear of the roof skin to the rear of the cab? It looks to be spot welded internally. I can take it apart, but how does one re-attach the skin? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Check out the link in my signature line to the 67 C20 build. There's some roof stuff in there that might help.
“The height of sophistication is simplicity." - Clare Boothe Luce
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:04 PM   #15
Roostre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaky View Post
Check out the link in my signature line to the 67 C20 build. There's some roof stuff in there that might help.
Thanks! You're is one I glanced through, I'll take a closer look at it. I see you used adhesive, what did you use? I've been thinking about adhesive for the rear pinch weld, but I would have to find something that I don't have to clamp as I'm still not sure how to get to the seam.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:41 PM   #16
Shaky
Six in a row makes it go...

The guy who did the work used (I believe) a 3M two-part adhesive designed for bodywork. Appears to be some tough stuff.
“The height of sophistication is simplicity." - Clare Boothe Luce
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:37 PM   #17
Roostre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaky View Post
The guy who did the work used (I believe) a 3M two-part adhesive designed for bodywork. Appears to be some tough stuff.
I've used a 3m two part structural adhesive before to glue Freightliner hoods back together. That was fiberglass, but I seem to remember it saying it was good for metal too. I'll have to look into it more. I think I could press the back seam in place and clamp the rest good enough for that to bond. The 3m stuff is amazing, we would glue a fender on a hood then test it by lifting on the fender. If it lifted the rest of the hood and the fixture, it was set. We only ever had one that failed, turned out the adhesive was past it's shelf life.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:25 PM   #18
toolboxchev

Quote:
Finally, onto the drip rail. The sealer was cracked out of my drip rail and there was rust starting there. As I cleaned the old sealer out, I ran across more bondo from the sculptor. It looks like the dent is about half way across the cab and 8 to 10 inches up onto the roof. I managed to get a replacement skin for a great deal as it has a few small dings in it from shipping. I think I can make it good enough with some hammer and dolly work. Or I can cut out a patch for the section of roof that I need.

Would suggest to peel the roof off and get the rust out to clean metal. That area it will keep growing due to condensation.

Your into it now, why not go all the way.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:07 PM   #19
Roostre

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolboxchev View Post
Would suggest to peel the roof off and get the rust out to clean metal. That area it will keep growing due to condensation.

Your into it now, why not go all the way.
Yep, that's the plan at this point.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:40 PM   #20
HO455
Post Whore

Tbone maybe able to help with your roof.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805157
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:13 PM   #21
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Tbone maybe able to help with your roof.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805157
I will have an outer skin that would be usable I believe. Its solid on the outside but rotted inside above windshield

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:17 PM   #22
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
I've used a 3m two part structural adhesive before to glue Freightliner hoods back together. That was fiberglass, but I seem to remember it saying it was good for metal too. I'll have to look into it more. I think I could press the back seam in place and clamp the rest good enough for that to bond. The 3m stuff is amazing, we would glue a fender on a hood then test it by lifting on the fender. If it lifted the rest of the hood and the fixture, it was set. We only ever had one that failed, turned out the adhesive was past it's shelf life.
I have seen rockers put on with panel bond. It is permanent.

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:51 PM   #23
68Gold/white

THe glue that Freightliner uses to glue side panels of their buses (Thomas Buses) is call Plexis.
I was parts manager for a Thomas dealer, years ago...There were times when we didn't use that stuff, and it DID go bad on the shelf, of course we always found it to be bad when that repair was going to be made THAT day. Care to guess who's fault it is if your Plexis goes bad on the shelf??? Don't miss that job...
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:41 PM   #24
Roostre

I've got the outer skin already, just trying to decide how to install it. Thanks though. If the adhesive works on rockers, should be good enough for outer roof skin!

Yeah, we found out the hard way to check the expiration date on the tubes before we started using it that day!
Old 07-29-2020, 10:22 PM   #25
Roostre

I spent about a half hour tonight with the hammer and dolly working out the shipping dents on my new roof outer skin. It's not perfect, but once it is installed and painted, it will be really tough to tell there was anything wrong with it. It will be perfect for my old driver!