The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2022, 11:06 AM   #151
dsraven

Re: Long Time Coming......

rubber conveyor belting also works for that kinda stuff. lots of the service companies sell used stuff by the foot. it might be quieter when rocks strike the surface and wouldn't tend to crack with a larger rock inpact
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 06:12 PM   #152
gsinon

I loaded the bed onto a small utility trailer and brought it home from work today. Was able to get some pics outside after I slid the rolled pan on to see how they look together all painted. I then rolled it around to the back of my enclosed car trailer and pushed it inside where it will sit until spring when I install it onto the chassis for the last time.

1987 R10, Ethel
Copper Hill Rod & Custom
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829856
gsinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 09:11 AM   #153
Cautrell05

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
rubber conveyor belting also works for that kinda stuff. lots of the service companies sell used stuff by the foot. it might be quieter when rocks strike the surface and wouldn't tend to crack with a larger rock inpact
I might look into that. We've got some black 1/8 inch plastic here that we use from time to time. That stuff's pretty durable too. The nice part is it's at the back of the vehicle so if it is a little noisy I won't hear that. I've done a lot to quite the squeaks and rattles on this but it's not quite up to new car standards yet for noise.
Thankfully the main roads I drive they don't do that tar and gravel crap. Not with this vehicle anyway. I hate that stuff. Years back we were taking a bike trip up to the Black hills and ended up on that stuff for about 7 miles. That's not fun on a bike.

My 47/S10 build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=679723
Cautrell05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 09:13 AM   #154
Cautrell05

I like that roll pan a lot. Nice job.

Nick

My 47/S10 build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=679723
Cautrell05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 08:33 AM   #155
gsinon

I hope you all had a really nice holiday with friends and family. It was quiet here at my house, but we did have a good time. I have two daughters, one a junior in college and the other a 2nd year grad student getting her PhD and we were lucky enough to have them both home. My older daughter, the PhD student is gone year round so we only really see her for Christmas. The time is cherished for sure.

She was scheduled to fly out today, but she just got a text that her flight was delayed for a full day. Don't tell her I said this, but I'm thrilled to have one extra day with her!!

I did get to spend some time in the shop working on my truck over the weekend. I got the last of the "extra" holes welded closed on the dash. I also stripped about 50% of the black paint off.

My ignition switch will be in the lower dash panel I made, while the lights and wiper switches will go on the larger round holes on the lower part of the dash. I think they were used for the key and starter button originally? At least on my truck that's what was there. The rest of the holes, including the two that were stacked up to the right of the gauges have now been adjusted to be level with the dash and fully welded as well.

The hole here was so large I had to find a washer and drill the center to fit the shaft of the switch, then weld it in place to fill the hole. In the picture you can also see the two raised areas for some other switches from original.

Here is the hole on the right side where the wiper switch is going now. I had to do the same as before, find a washer and drill the center to the right size, then weld in place to fill the larger hole.

Random pics of the dash fully welded and ground smooth.

1987 R10, Ethel
Copper Hill Rod & Custom
Old 12-27-2022, 05:06 PM   #156
daveshilling

Nice work!! The washer trick is a good one.
daveshilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 10:41 AM   #157
dsraven

what are you using to sand stuff off? it looks pretty course in the pics. do you use a lighter grit then epoxy and high build or skim with filler maybe?
Old 12-30-2022, 04:04 PM   #158
gsinon

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshilling View Post
Nice work!! The washer trick is a good one.

Thanks!

Quote:
what are you using to sand stuff off? it looks pretty course in the pics. do you use a lighter grit then epoxy and high build or skim with filler maybe?
I am using 100 grit rolocs on an angle die grinder. In my career the one big mistake I see people make is going over too fine of a scratch with either filler or epoxy depending on which camp you are on that topic.

Most people apply filler incorrectly also. The first coat should go on thin and really tight. Meaning to squeeze it into the scratch in the panel. Once that is done go back over and "fill" the area needing the filler. Just slathering it on as a lot of people do can risk it "bridging" the scratch in the metal or primer and have adhesion issues. Charley Hutton taught me that one.

I am a firm believer in epoxy before body filler. I know some people swear by it and say they haven't had any issues. But I have seen far too many failures from rust corrosion creep back later on because they didn't put the epoxy down first. A good friend of mine is the Evercoat rep for the Northeast. I asked him what their position was on the topic, especially when on the can of expensive Rage body filler is says DTM, Direct to Metal. He says all that means to them is that it will stick. For corrosion purposes they even say epoxy first.

Now to be clear I am mostly referring to restoration/hot rod type stuff. A collision center that only has 3 days to fix a car doesn't have the time to epoxy first and then let t sit and cure for a few days before doing filler work.

Ok... I'll jump off of my soapbox now!
1987 R10, Ethel
Copper Hill Rod & Custom

Last edited by gsinon; 12-30-2022 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-30-2022, 04:14 PM   #159
gsinon

Todays adventures had me removing the doors on the cab, then with the help of my wife and daughter we laid the cab on its back so I can work on the floor. I need to do some final welding. After that is done I will epoxy the floor and tow board area, then seam seal and spray Berliner on the bottom to help keep it nice.

With it in this position I am also going to make a cart that the cab will bolt solidly onto for when I need to move it to the shop and booth later on. The two stacked pallets have served their purpose, but nothing I trust long term.

While on its back I found a few areas I need to address first. I didn't expect this to be perfect, and in fact was pleasantly surprised that this was all their was for damage or rust.

1987 R10, Ethel
Copper Hill Rod & Custom
Old 12-30-2022, 09:55 PM   #160
dsraven

well, have fun with the strip disc. hope it's not gonna reveal a problem.
Old 01-21-2023, 06:28 PM   #161
-Dan-

Looking forward to seeing more of your build. Just saying……
-Dan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 09:32 AM   #162
gsinon

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Dan- View Post
Looking forward to seeing more of your build. Just saying……

Thank you for the interest in my project. It has been a couple weeks and I wish I had some progress pictures to share. I'll be back in the shop soon.

But..... Life threw a curve ball recently. I had gotten the flu, then dad.....

My dad, my hero, my mentor, my best friend took his last breath as I held his hand yesterday.

My dad just turned 79 a few weeks ago. He was just one of those guys you loved to know and be around. They say some people are a Glass Half Full or Half Empty. Well my dad was a Glass Overflowing kind of guy. He took everything in life without a complaint and kept his feet moving forward. He started smoking at 13 years old and about ten years ago his lungs started to fail him little by little. He is the guy that taught me everything Hot Rod. How to look at them, picture them, design them. He taught me how to weld, do body work and paint. When I surpassed his skill set he stepped aside and was happy to watch me grow in this trade/hobby. I know for a fact how proud he was of every single thing I did. From industry awards, to Best Paint at the Detroit Autorama and so on, he beamed with pride. I have long thought that while my name gets the mention, somewhere next to mine he should be acknowledged as well. For without him I would not be getting all of these accolades.

10 days ago we were watching the Mecum auction marveling at some of the prices. Sunday I went to see him and clearly there had been a change, he turned a corner of which there was no return. I was told Monday he had roughly 4 weeks. On Thursday the phrase Early Active Dying was uttered to me. With that came the knowledge that he has 2-5 days. On Saturday at 1:56pm with me holding one hand and my daughter his other he took his last breath.......

Dad and I in the pits of the CT Dragway when I was real little standing next to his E/MP 66 Chevelle.

You can clearly see the pride on his face in this picture. This was taken during set up at the 2018 Boston World of Wheels ISCA car show where I debuted this latest build. This was also the very last car show he was able to attend with me. The car won five awards at this show including the Steele Rubber Master Builder Award. He beamed with joy when I got that award.

1987 R10, Ethel
Copper Hill Rod & Custom
Old 01-22-2023, 10:39 AM   #163
-Dan-

Sorry to hear about dad. Sounds like an awesome man.
-Dan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 11:23 AM   #164
Rickysnickers

Sorry for your loss!! I have to say though, your last photo is awesome
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 11:37 AM   #165
nvrdone

sorry to hear about your dad. lost my dad a long time ago and the hurt is still there. Just remember the good times.
49 chevy 3100 3 window. 327 / m21 4 spd, 12 bolt w/ 3:55's
Bought in 1973 for $235.00. Had it longer than my wife & Kids!!
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 10:41 AM   #166
dsraven

sorry to hear about your dad. sounds like you had a great relationship. thats more than a lot of guys can say.
Old 01-23-2023, 10:01 PM   #167
duramax55

always hard to say goodbye to a dad but looks like you had a great one and he got a chance to see some of your hard work. I was not as lucky lost my dad when i was 29 missed him see my kids grow up and see all my projects that i know would have enjoyed as he was very handy at doing all kinds of things. My condolences on your loss
duramax55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 04:17 PM   #168
gsinon

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Dan- View Post
Sorry to hear about dad. Sounds like an awesome man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
Sorry for your loss!! I have to say though, your last photo is awesome
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
sorry to hear about your dad. lost my dad a long time ago and the hurt is still there. Just remember the good times.
Quote:
sorry to hear about your dad. sounds like you had a great relationship. thats more than a lot of guys can say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duramax55 View Post
always hard to say goodbye to a dad but looks like you had a great one and he got a chance to see some of your hard work. I was not as lucky lost my dad when i was 29 missed him see my kids grow up and see all my projects that i know would have enjoyed as he was very handy at doing all kinds of things. My condolences on your loss

Thank you all for the comments. It has been a tough week but I am getting better each day. Monday I was in a complete fog and just felt numb. Today at least I feel less so. I will never get over the loss, but I also have so many memories to keep me going for the rest of my life.

I think the very most difficult thing moving forward is that we did this car/truck/hot rod thing together. And while he has been on oxygen and sick for 7 years he still got immense joy hearing what I was doing and going over all the pictures and so on. Or the stories about what happened when I went to a car show etc. This summer when I do all those things, I won't be able to go to him and share to all.......
1987 R10, Ethel
Copper Hill Rod & Custom
Old 02-03-2023, 09:39 AM   #169
Cuate

So sorry for your loss, may his sole rest in peace. Looks like you have many wonderful memories.��������

I ran into your build thread while searching for ideas and information for a 1948 3100 project I hope to start soon. Awesome work, Im keeping up with your build.

Hope you doing well and I know these are difficult times for you and your family. Prayer for you and your family.
Cuate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 11:47 AM   #170
gsinon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuate View Post
So sorry for your loss, may his sole rest in peace. Looks like you have many wonderful memories.��������

I ran into your build thread while searching for ideas and information for a 1948 3100 project I hope to start soon. Awesome work, Im keeping up with your build.

Hope you doing well and I know these are difficult times for you and your family. Prayer for you and your family.
Thank you! I have the memorial services for my dad in a couple hours. I'm looking forward to going and seeing friends and family. But I also know it will be very hard. Writing his eulogy took far too long to find the right words.

I hope you enjoy the build as I move along. I'm making some changes to my plans that I will share later in the week or so.
1987 R10, Ethel
Copper Hill Rod & Custom
Old 02-05-2023, 12:41 PM   #171
8man

Glenn, so sorry to hear that he passed. I hope you made it through the eulogy, that's tough.
Build thread: "]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=746899&highlight=wife%27s+48[/URL]
[/URL]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=840204
8man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 07:58 PM   #172
gsinon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8man View Post
Glenn, so sorry to hear that he passed. I hope you made it through the eulogy, that's tough.

Thank you! I wish I could say that I was able to get through his eulogy like a champ. I wish I could..... But when I got to the podium and stood before roughly 100 friends and family I broke. I stood there trying to gather myself and start speaking, but I couldn't even get the first syllable out of my mouth. I stepped back, took some deep breathes and tried again. I just couldn't do it. At that moment my wife of almost 31 years jumped to my aide, grabbed my hand and read my eulogy on my behalf. I feel terrible for not being able to, but every person in the room knew the bond dad and I had and were not at all surprised when all the emotion hit me at once.

In any case, now with the services over I will try and move on without his ever looming presence in my life.

Having said all of that, I have had time to pause and think about my truck build and what I want to do. I am still moving forward but with some changes to my plan.

You see, dad was a shiny paint guy. He hated "patina" builds. While he didn't give me crap about what I was doing, he did keep saying that he thought I needed to do what I am known for, Beautiful body work and paint. So in honor of him I am now going to strip the cab and all sheet metal to bare steel and build up from there until I have it as near perfect as I can make it. The picture below is the truck when I first got it, along with the color it will be when done. My dad has always Loved this custom color I made and kept telling me this is the color he envisioned it to be.

So this ones for you dad.......
1987 R10, Ethel
Copper Hill Rod & Custom
Old 02-06-2023, 11:33 PM   #173
dsraven

good to see you looking forward but still looking back a little aa well.
I'm a shiny paint guy too. if youre a pint and body guy you should do it up right and that color should really pop.
Old 02-07-2023, 10:57 AM   #174
Rickysnickers

"But when I got to the podium and stood before roughly 100 friends and family I broke. I stood there trying to gather myself and start speaking, but I couldn't even get the first syllable out of my mouth. I stepped back, took some deep breathes and tried again. I just couldn't do it."

I'm sure no words were needed. Everyone knew what you felt and wanted to say. It's difficult, but you'll move forward
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 08:37 PM   #175
gsinon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
"But when I got to the podium and stood before roughly 100 friends and family I broke. I stood there trying to gather myself and start speaking, but I couldn't even get the first syllable out of my mouth. I stepped back, took some deep breathes and tried again. I just couldn't do it."

I'm sure no words were needed. Everyone knew what you felt and wanted to say. It's difficult, but you'll move forward
Thank you.....
1987 R10, Ethel
Copper Hill Rod & Custom