The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2011, 10:06 AM   #1
CLASSIC87'
OL BLUU

K&N CAI... anyone install one yet?

Hey guys... I did a search here for the 07' and up, but didn't find much. Anyone have good feedback on the 09'+ install? I have a lead on one for about $175 and in "new condition". Any input?? Mine has the 5.3...

Thanks,
Anthony

Last edited by CLASSIC87'; 03-25-2011 at 10:06 AM.
CLASSIC87' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:45 AM   #2
jgreene0717
Jason

Re: K&N CAI... anyone install one yet?

I installed and S@B intake kit on my old NNBS 2007 5.3 truck. It lost power in the lower rpm ranges but did feel a little stronger in the upper rpm's above 4000. I pulled mine off and put the factory back on. To prove it was just not me I went to the drag strip and did a little testing. The 60 ft', 1/8 mile, and quarter times where all slower but the trap speed at end of track was about a 1/2 mile faster so it did increase horsepower just lost power down low. I had a handheld programmer so a custom tune may help out with CAI loosing power down low. What i did was just install a K&N filter and modified the air box to get a little more air in. If you go to the K&N website and look at the dyno they do not show power below 2600 rpm and I think that is where the losses are. This is just my 2 cents so someone else may have a better review on another unit.
jgreene0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:28 AM   #3
CLASSIC87'
OL BLUU

Thanks for the input... did you notice anything as an improvemnet in gas mileage? If I get a good "deal" on it... then I will go ahead a buy it, otherwise I will be passing.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:34 AM   #4
jgreene0717
Jason

I did not get a chance to check out the gas mileage. I took the CAI back and got a refund.
jgreene0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
LEEVON

Anthony,

CAI's used to be the thing, over the last couple years they have gotten to be like a bad word on the late model sites like gmfullsize.com and performancetrucks.net. Supposedly on the new trucks the factory intakes flow just fine. There was a thread on one of those sites where they did dyno comparisons and there were no gains. I think that Keith Seymore or another engineer on this forum who had something to do with GMT900 said there is no room for improvement on these intakes.

With that said, I don't buy ALL of that, some but not all. I think they do give improved throttle response and also sound better (if that matters). If you do get one, don't get an oiled element (K&N) because the oil gets on your MAF. I have a GMPP oil free intake on my '08 because I wanted a CAI, got it for cheap and it doesn't cause any warranty discussions at the dealership.

I would pass on the K&N.

Last edited by LEEVON; 03-28-2011 at 08:08 PM.
LEEVON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
CLASSIC87'
OL BLUU

THANKS for the additional input... I'm passing... thanks again to both you guys!
Old 04-07-2011, 11:23 AM   #7
Non_Sequitor

I just came to this thread from link posted on another one about the same subject. I think there might be a little confusion going on about K&N's fouling MAFs. It is very easy to over-oil a K&N, and yes, it will foul your MAF. The truth is, however, that a K&N does not require a lot of oil, and if properly done, no oil will contaminate your MAF at all. The K&N product is one of quality and good craftsmanship, but it is, of course, not the only one out there. Some folks may not want to deal with re-oiling their filter after cleaning, and prefer to stay with a dry filter like the above mentioned GMPP one. As far as CAI's not providing any power over stock on a dyno, this is generally true, but don't take that at face value. The vehicle has to be moving in most cases to see any appreciable effects with a CAI, plus the newer vehicles will almost always require an associated electronic tune to reap the real benefits of even a CAI. Even with large fans, there is no way to duplicate a vehicle driving down the road while using a chassis dyno. Some manufacturers have started manufacturing CAI's that do not require electronic tuning in recent years, however these also offer considerably less power potential - if any at all. Nobody's going to set the world on fire with just a CAI, so please don't fall for a lot of the advertising promising huge power gains. You won't even feel it in the seat of your pants most likely, but you may notice it in mileage or mph at the track. The newer the trucks get, the more efficient their designs are as well. So, if you take the GMT900's for instance, an aftermarket manufacturer will have to look at new ways to engineer their product to improve upon an already good set-up. The companies that have the more resources tend to be better at this, but there are some resourceful small companies that can do well also. I guess my point is, do your homework. The manufacturers want to sell their products, and will make some pretty incredible claims. However, testing by shops on dynos is not always a conclusive way to look at these items in the same way it would be with most other bolt-ons. The OEMs will also claim that the factory design is as good as it gets, but keep in mind that there wouldn't be much of an aftermarket if that were always the case. The OEMs have to take many other factors besides performance into account when designing an intake system. Noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH), fuel mileage, production line capabilities, cost effectiveness, and long-term durability are just a few. It's a lot to consider when you really think about it. So good luck if you're considering adding a CAI to your late-model truck!
Non_Sequitor is offline   Reply With Quote