The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2021, 03:54 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Anyone else like RV?

I've had two travel trailers, both new Fun Finders. The first one was built so well, but as I explained to my ex. the kids wouldn't use the bunks, so three years later we swapped that out for a 2012 that was more useful. This time the trailer required a bunch of attention, generally nice materials thrown together. I ended up doing most of it because their shop was worthless. Sold that four years ago and am looking for another, so I bought this.

Kidding, I'd like to find a 2014-15 Camplite. Otherwise perhaps a Lance should someone come back to reality. I'm looking for used, and I wouldn't mind revamping something. Personally I like no bigger than 20ish foot light trailers.

Anyway, here's my new trailer

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ft-capistrano/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VjjNLyNaTA
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 09-06-2021 at 04:00 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 06:20 PM   #2
72c20customcamper

Re: Anyone else like RV?

I'm very tempted to go look at this Airstream. I have a Dutchstar 40 diesel pusher at my disposal but I'm not really a motorhome guy (my moms) . I bought new and still have a 1995 30 ft Gulfstream travel trailer I'm going to bring up to my place and set it up permanently for guests and maybe Airbnb it occasionally. It's still in real nice shape just too big for me and the wife. Has a front master bedroom and 3 bunks in the back was perfect with 3 kids .

This is a steal at 5k
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ok_story_share
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:33 PM   #3
truckster

I have an older 40' motorhome. I enjoy traveling in it. It's especially nice if you're taking long trips, because there's no need to stop for food or bathrooms, and the children and grandchildren can entertain themselves while I drive.
Old 09-06-2021, 07:55 PM   #4
davischevy

I like my motorhome because I can tow a trailer or my toys.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:09 PM   #5
CG
BlahBlahBlah

RV life has never appealed to me. Kinda like driving the "big rig" trucks, never thought that would be an interesting life.

I love the vintage trailers and even halfway looked at some neat ones years ago. But in the end I really dont care to tow stuff if I dont have to. Some of you guys on the board though have some really nice rigs.
Old 09-07-2021, 10:47 AM   #6
dave6672

Here is our 1962 Nomad camper that we use 2 or 3 times a year. These are older pics, my daughter is now 13 and a lot taller than she is in this picture. There's not much room in it, but we make do. Most of out time is spent outside anyway when we are camping.
Attached Images

1972 K20
1972 C20 Highlander
1957 Chevy 210 Delray
1967 C10
dave6672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 01:26 PM   #7
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
RV life has never appealed to me. Kinda like driving the "big rig" trucks, never thought that would be an interesting life.

I love the vintage trailers and even halfway looked at some neat ones years ago. But in the end I really dont care to tow stuff if I dont have to. Some of you guys on the board though have some really nice rigs.
There's a difference between having an RV to use a few times per year and the RV life. I don't think I'd like the RV life, but it's nice to have when I want to travel. By the end of three weeks I'm ready for my own bed (even though we have the same mattress topper in the RV).
Old 09-08-2021, 04:47 PM   #8
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

Wife and I used to. We started with a borrowed pop up and liked it so much we immediately upgraded to a 5th wheel, then another bigger 5th wheel. We got out of it and sold the camper the November before Covid.

I’ll tell you why it started to suck so bad. When we 1st started out we could go anywhere and show up at a campground and always find spaces available. Now days you need to plan ahead sometimes several months ahead just to get a spot reserved. So now the parks are full. Full of campers, that are full of drunken adults and/or unruly loud kids and always barking/****ting dogs!
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 05:48 PM   #9
jweb

I rebuilt a 1953 Westerner (15ft) when my daughter was 6. We wanted to take her to see different parts of Oregon. We have taken a lot of trips in that trailer and also started going to vintage trailer rallies.

2 years ago I rebuilt a 1974 Prowler (19ft) to get a little more space and a bathroom. We still do about 5 trips a summer but it's difficult to get a spot in any campground on a weekend. There are a few that we have to reserve a year ahead of time.
Attached Images

1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 06:36 PM   #10
Blue GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb View Post
I rebuilt a 1953 Westerner (15ft) when my daughter was 6. We wanted to take her to see different parts of Oregon. We have taken a lot of trips in that trailer and also started going to vintage trailer rallies.

2 years ago I rebuilt a 1974 Prowler (19ft) to get a little more space and a bathroom. We still do about 5 trips a summer but it's difficult to get a spot in any campground on a weekend. There are a few that we have to reserve a year ahead of time.
Now you know you can’t only post exterior photos
Blue GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 06:48 PM   #11
jweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue GMC View Post
Now you know you can’t only post exterior photos
Prowler interior, before & after.
Attached Images

1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:51 PM   #12
davischevy

You guys have got some nice restored campers.

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
Old 09-08-2021, 09:51 PM   #13
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

TL;DR version, no

My wife grew up camping all over the country. I never went camping, unless you count sleeping in a bag in your friend's back yard. I still don't care for it, even though we bought a 26 foot travel trailer (at the wife's insistence). It's a pain in the neck to tow anywhere, and as has been mentioned, decent campgrounds are few and far between, and then expensive, to boot. We can go camp anywhere in the California desert, like that's some kind of sweaty fun.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:02 PM   #14
davischevy

I don't camp much. I use mine for car and truck shows and riding my side by side and jeep.

I haven't had much trouble with campgrounds, although the state campgrounds are booked for October because of the fall colors I suppose.

I am taking my three grandsons camping along the Arkansas River in a couple of weeks.

Old 09-08-2021, 10:43 PM   #15
Killer Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
I like my motorhome because I can tow a trailer or my toys.
I like your motorhome too!

Mrs. Bee talked me into it and I'll admit it grew on me.. picked this up in april and put 5166 trouble free miles on it this summer

great stops all the way to ohio along 40.. upcoming years we'll take 70 and 80.. once we're retired and gone we'll focus on middle and east..

like Larry said, can tow toys behind but otherwise less stressful than towing an apartment bldg behind a pickup truck..

Mrs. Bee and I both enjoyed camping our entire lives and really enjoy sharing these experiences with our kids.. since we both have busy careers, the rv just expedites getting out there

and sure beats the heck out of this

Old 09-09-2021, 08:55 AM   #16
72c20customcamper

They are nice to pull the cars . I go from tents on the motorcycle to motorhoming .my mom and dad were very active in the RV lifestyle before my dad passed . This is their 4th motorhome they went to Alaska in it in 05 has 140k on it.

Me and the misses are pretty good at packing the bikes.
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.

Last edited by 72c20customcamper; 09-09-2021 at 09:06 AM.
72c20customcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 11:18 PM   #17
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb View Post

Those are super nice. Oregon is my favorite place to RV. To-date I've only gone as far as Yachets, but someday soon I'll run all the way up 101.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:30 PM   #18
Killer Bee

Old 10-21-2021, 04:43 AM   #19
Killer Bee

well I guess we bought ours just in time because there must be some sort of shortage..

in the past month we've had several inquiries to buy ours, most while we're outside, two times knocks on the door, and today this on our front door..

do they make NOT for sale signs?

Old 10-21-2021, 05:47 AM   #20
special-K
Special Order

I don't know what's going on here. I guess everywhere has the house market going nuts. "We Buy Houses" signs up along the road and all. I was in West Virginia and saw signs that said "We Buy Mobile Homes"! I guess next is "We Buy RVs"

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 09:59 AM   #21
Boog
laying low

We've had 3 pop up campers and 2 bumper pulls and 1 current 5th wheel camper. When we first started camping it wasn't hard to find camping spots in our state parks. Then it got to where we had to make reservations months in advance to insure getting a spot. Then the parks allowed folks to make reservations a year in advance. It really got out of hand. Then they changed it back. About 3 years ago the word about camping got out and now there are more and more people enjoying it. The RV industry was/is booming and the pressure on the parks increased. After the covid hit and everything went nuts, our gov closed all the state parks to keep many outsiders, bringing the virus with them, out. My job went away and the parks opened up so I saw a chance to use the camper more so I put on a new set of tires and got it all ready but the wifey wasn't keen on using the parks with so many folks so it still sits here, ready to go, unused. We aren't hikers or 4 wheel riders but just enjoy being out there in the shade relaxing by the fire. I suppose at some point I will probably sell but not for now.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 03:19 PM   #22
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I don't know what's going on here. I guess everywhere has the house market going nuts. "We Buy Houses" signs up along the road and all. I was in West Virginia and saw signs that said "We Buy Mobile Homes"! I guess next is "We Buy RVs"
Yeah ... "We Buy Houses For Cash" is right up there with "Need Cash Now" we will buy your annuity or structured settlement in 24 hours or less!
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:28 PM   #23
davischevy

We are sitting in our RV, at the Kansas Speedway, waiting for the Nascar race, as I post this.

We will head for the Phoenix race next week.

Old 10-23-2021, 02:11 PM   #24
Boog
laying low

I'd like to make Kansas the next race we go to. I hope the weather doesn't interfere. Forecast is rain over that way.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 03:12 PM   #25
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

2 years ago I talked some 17 camping relatives to come to a camp ground around 65 miles from me ,, I reservated spaces for all of them including my kids with their campers. on April 1st the camp is open to reservate ..but while you are there you can reservate a year ahead ..I Had no problem untill this year after our camp out,,our 3rd year ,,with me reservating for 2022 . some one beat me to the punch as they say and I lost two spaces , ,So I had to scramble and find two as close to all the rest of us as I could .. This is my last year of reservating as I have turned it over to the younger ones .. and I suppose in 2023 the camping will be on Pacific Ocean somewhere like I used to camp when I lived out there ,,clams .oysters . crab. linc cod. them were the best camping ..