The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
Jabes1

74' by Jabes...

I've had this truck since I was 16 years old and at this present time I'm 32. The truck was purchased initially for $975 out of the Autotrader, barely running, but at 16 its all I could afford. With the help of my Father we got it running decently. The truck was rough, had bailing wire holding the radiator to the core support, transmission slipped... should have saved up more cash and bought a better truck, plain and simple.

I don't have a lot of pictures of its initial stages, just a yearbook picture of it with my Brother in law, which I'll have to look for. I built it several times each for different purposes. First stage was chasing tail in highschool with basic bolt ons, second street strip with Weiand 144 supercharger, third was air suspension which honestly didn't last long to even be considered a stage and currently its being built to be a driver. Pictures to come...

Drag racing at LACR right before its doors closed. Never got to run it with the blower.

As it sat for some time while I was in the Marine Corps.

Only picture I can find of the blower motor at the time. I never could get it to run right with the TBI and blower, was using 4di at the time. :/
Jabes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #2
Jabes1

Re: 74' by Jabes...

Again with my little helper... not all the way laid out, but on air at this time.

A short stint on air...
After this picture was taken my exwife and I were tuning the fuel injection when one of the links on the axle let loose... thank God we were only doing 35 with no oncoming traffic. It did a lot of destruction... fractured the transmission case, tossed the driveline, and cracked my Gear Vendors adapter to the TH400. I decided if my daughter was going to be in my truck it was going to be on static suspension... a suspension that will stand the test of time and abuse. Out went the air...
Old 04-06-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
Jabes1

The little helper all stoked to go for a ride... Its pretty cool to have your kid so interested and excited about "Daddy's truck." A lot of memories in this thing, cool to add some with the little.

Come on Dad, can I sit on your lap and go around the Cul de Sac.... PLEASE!!!!

The most current state.
350 with dish style pistons and basic bolt ons.
TPI managed by Holley Commander 950
TH400 with GV
3.42 rear with a locker

Suspension: 5/7 spindles and springs with a flip kit and Blazer leafs. Doesch Tech shocks all around and C-notch is next.
20x8 and 20x10 Torque thrusts and respective rubber.

Working on the fuel map HWY 395
Old 04-06-2013, 08:59 PM   #4
Jabes1

Notch fab

She's not pretty at the moment, rather rough and raw. Ditched the v-belts, got the serpentine setup back in the Corps for free from a Caprice. Headers are gone, swapped for Vortec Manifolds. Cast iron is durable, they don't leak and low maintenance... Simple. I plan on eventually porting them and using them to mount a large single turbo.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
Jabes1

So main focus is finishing the tune, I have to set up the high load portions of the fuel map and acceleration tables. Setting this up solo and driving is a huge pain in the... Hopefully my girlfriend will be able to give me a hand to finish this. Worked on the Accel TPS portion today and it revs real nice and clean in neutral, I have some funny numbers in there though. Tuning this C950 has had its challenges, but it will be worth it when its done. Too bad I don't have the funds for Holley's newest self tuning version.
I plan on detailing the truck later, this summer I just want it back on the road. I want to work all the bugs out of it first.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #6
THE "10" SILVERADO

Holy crap! Is your truck the one in the youtube video "lambo vs old school chevy truck"? Looks like it.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:19 AM   #7
Jabes1

I've seen that video, but no... not my truck.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:03 AM   #8
Jabes1

Not much done today... cut the frame for the c-notch on the drivers side and family decided to come over, so its left up on jacks. Goal for tomorrow is finish the install on the drivers side, get the passenger side done and finish weld them in place along with the shock mounts in the rear. Might hit up the junk yard for some hood hinges...lift off hoods get old as you get old.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #9
Jabes1

Got the notches fabbed, bolted in and made the trip to my Dad's place to weld them in place. I knew they would stay bolted to make the trip, I just don't trust them enough leave them that way. The truck cruises really nice, just like a new truck. I need to tone th exhaust down, the Flowmaster 40 series I had lying around are retarded loud and I don't want to use them. I have a large chamber Magnaflow I'm going to put in along with a flex section and rubber isolators to keep the exhaust from banging around. Found a few bugs with the cooling system. I purchased a Champion aluminum radiator for my truck awhile back and it works damn good... too good! On a hot day it never gets above 150 degrees cruising and on a day like today with a headwind it wouldn't get over 130 degrees so my ecu is dumping more fuel thinking the truck isn't warmed up. Its not really much more than a tweak or two I can make with the ecu to compensate, but it wouldnt hurt to cover up some of the radiator to block some airflow. They do that in NASCAR for aero as well as overcooling. A engine can run too cold.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #10
Jabes1

Got a few things done, to include fabbing the notch, bolting it in place and welding it in place. Fuel injection runs great so far, worked on the tune some more and its coming together pretty well. Back when I fragged my transmission I rebuilt it myself and learned an expensive lesson... I put the pump gear in upside down which totally wiped the front pump and sent all the fragments into my towing converter. I had a stall coverter from summit laying around that I used for a short stint when I was dragging my truck, so I put that in. Well, that stall converter is kicking me in the rear with poor mpgs stop and go, so that's on the list to change out soon... considering the Hughes 5TOW converter so its not slipping and more efficient. Im not looking to drag this truck anymore and am heading towards a build that is efficient and reliable as possible. Considering a 2.73 gear as well, I want to be close to 1500-1700 rpms +/-200rpms with converter slippage while at 75-80mph on the freeway. Next on the list is quieting the exhaust down and adding another 02 bung so I can use my wideband and see exactly whats going on with the tune...

Bolted in ready to take a trip to my Dads to weld in place.

Welded in place.

Have to make sure my helper is safe
Old 04-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #11
THE "10" SILVERADO

In the words of Ron White "It don't matter how what size engine or tires your truck has, you ain't no manly man the moment you strap a car seat in!". Looking good!
Old 04-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #12
maxxxy

Sweet Truck!

Max's bagged 81

81 rcsb bagged, 22s, build in progress
09 ext cab, 24" U2's, DD sub/amp
maxxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #13
Jabes1

LOL... Real men have daughters. She's my helper, hands me wrenches, brings me Lemonade always right there by my side. She wrenches too, helped me with my lateral links on the Subaru. Grant you I should have bought the Simpson Racing child seat, but I have other things to spend money on.

Shes been exposed early...bitten by the bug. She was one year old when she went to her first cruise Route 66 in San Berdoo. I though she was going to cry with the open headers... Not a chance, she loved it.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #14
f.monroe

I like it . Looks great as a long bed and a short bed. How long ago did you shorten it?
I like the 20's all around on it much better than the staggered diameter wheels on these trucks. Cute little helper. All I have are grouchy boys.
Frank
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2013, 10:43 PM   #15
Jabes1

I went from a long wheel base to short wheel base around 2008 when I decided to put it on air. A close friend purchased a 4wd for parts and let me have the frame so I converted it to 2wd along with fabbing the air stuff. Around 2010 I busted a link with the Ex wife and it sat for awhile with a busted trans, bent driveline and such. My girlfriend helped me locate a new frame, hence the rusty one it sits on now and helped me swap everything over to the new frame including the lowered static suspension. I like the wheel setup I have now as well... its what I've always wanted.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:20 PM   #16
Jabes1

My bed was pretty bad and I had cut it to make room for the notch when it was on air. Now that its no longer on air I have no need for a huge hole in the bed, so for temporary use and to be able to throw some light stuff in the bed I laid some plywood down. I want to use diamond plate, however its simply not within my budget right now. Pulled the exhaust down and out in an effort to quiet it down. Ill be using a factory Vortec truck crossover pipe that mates into an single 3" pipe, flex section and Magnaflow muffler. Ill also be adding an 02 bung for my wideband.

My helper gave me a hand knocking out a few dents.

She helped me make a few cuts with a jig saw.

Semi-finished, it still needs some stain and to be bolted down. Looks better then having a gapping whole in the bed.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:58 AM   #17
Jabes1

Not much accomplished in the last few days just laptop rodding...

I'm going for driver on this build, focusing on function more than form at the moment. I've been hypothesizing about my power plant and mpg's a lot lately. I'm not expecting 31 mpgs, but just to get it as efficient as possible.

Rear tire diameter: 29.74 inches
Source: http://mcgrefer.com/sizeinfo/2754520

Engine RPM calculator source: http://www.csgnetwork.com/multirpmcalc.html

Ive been looking into changing out my torque converter to a Hughes towing converter, this one to be exact http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hu...make/chevrolet. 'Ive also been looking into pulling a rearend out of a junkyard so I can swap rearends and not specifically gears in the rearend. 'been looking at a 3.08 and 2.73 ratios. The Engine RPM calculator Im using gives some interesting numbers. Im running a pretty well warmed over TH400 with a Gear Vendor behind it and the ability to split gears and .70 overdrive. Currently it has a 1800-2400 rpm stall converter that isn't helping me achieve my goals. I don't think this is completely accurate, because the RPM calculator doesn't account for converter slippage.

3.08 Ratio: (without GV)

Tire Height (29.74)
MPH 75
Transmission Final Gear Ratio ( 1.00)

Engine RPM: 2610...

3.08 Ratio: (With GV)

Ring Gear and Pinion Ratio (3.08)
Tire Height (29.74)
MPH 75
Transmission Final Gear Ratio (.070)

Engine RPM 1827

2.73 Ratio: (Without GV)

Ring Gear and Pinion Ratio (2.73)
Tire Height (29.74)
MPH 75
Transmission Final Gear Ratio (1.00)

Engine RPM 2313

2.73 Ratio: (With GV)
Ring Gear and Pinion Ratio (2.73)
Tire Height (29.74.)
MPH 75
Transmission Final Gear Ratio (0.70)

Engine RPM 1619

I realize I'm working with a flying brick... I think it may be possible to run the 2.73's without loosing mileage. If I push the speed up to 80mph the rpms sit at 1727, give or take 2-300 rpm slippage it puts me at around 2000 rpms. I'm running a TPI fuel injection setup which we all know is great for low rpm torque due to its long individual runners, so I don't see it lugging the engine much. I may have to swap cams as the one I have in it may also be working against my goals, but with a tight, low stall converter I may be able to pull it off. Any thoughts suggestions or comments?

Last edited by Jabes1; 04-15-2013 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Accidently hit enter and wasn't finished.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #18
Jabes1

Did some junkyarding... the thing I hate about scrounging is seeing good parts broken because some idiot is too impatient to take the time to take something apart. I saw a lot of clear gauge covers that weren't oxidized destroyed and broken. A few broken up clusters, gauge bezels and various other parts. When I take something off I don't destroy it and I set the parts aside with care for someone else with a square. People can be dumb. The 2.73 idea for now is scratched.... went to take a serious look at the rearend to buy yesterday and someone opened up the diff and yanked the gears out. Next time I'm just going to buy it, I shouldn't have waited. Picked up shoulder harness belts for my truck, an ashtray with a power source, some hood hinges and a few other odds and ends.
The tune is coming along, wideband is in and my girlfriend has been helping me tune. Its easy to see where I was running pig rich on low load portions of my base map. We corrected the rich, low load portions, added some timing in low load cruise and sitting at 40 degrees advanced with no pings. The truck gets more and more driver friendly every time we take it out. Night and day differences. A few hickups here and there, had a fuel pump go out in the driveway... thank God it wasn't on the road leaving me stranded. The truck is also running way too cold... going to make some tweaks to the ecu and drop the temp to go open loop. Probably going to stain the wood in the bed today, time and weather permitting.
Wired up the memory on my CD player and now that I have a good charging system, I no longer have to worry about the battery draining. Its nice to be able to just turn the stereo on, the EQ left where you set it and the presets working. Simple creature comforts... I want to install better lighting in the cab as well.

Last edited by Jabes1; 04-17-2013 at 04:26 PM. Reason: ...
Old 04-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #19
Jabes1

Not much of an update, just been driving the wheels off. Had a bit of a hiccup with the tuning software that left me stranded.... somehow it got switched from 8cyl to 4cyl. Not fun. Stained the wood in the bed, and bolted it in. Took the truck on the freeway to Barstow and back, it cruises nice. My speedo is about 10mph off, not sure how to go about fixing it seeing as the speedo cable comes off of the Gear Vendor. Pulled the Summit 2200 rpm stall converter yesterday and installed a low stall converter yesterday. Night and day difference in stop and go traffic. The acceleration tables are still giving me trouble and taking off feels like a 4cyl with the AC on. The stall converter made it worse. Still mostly working the bugs out of the truck and tune...

Stained the wood in the bed.

Speedo is about 10mph off cruising Northbound HWY 15.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #20
JCampbell
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabes1 View Post
Did some junkyarding... the thing I hate about scrounging is seeing good parts broken because some idiot is too impatient to take the time to take something apart.
Not just you, Buddy. I hate coming up on a square only to find that the "Rock 'n Hammer" crew has already had their way with it. Fuuu...

If you ever need a hand scrounging parts, let me know. I love going to the Pick n Pulls. I actually fund about 50% of my builds by salvaging parts and slinging them on eBay.

Look me up...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Campb...32615393500690
JCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #21
74 stepside

Nice truck and nice back ground story. I always liked that light blue too..
74 stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:00 AM   #22
Jabes1

Its been awhile...the tune is at a stand still for now. I went to the junkyard the other day for a hitch. Well, long story short I was in the right place at the right time. A new arrival showed up...an incredibly clean 86' Suburban fully loaded. The original owner was only asking $1200 and couldn't sell it! I picked up a hitch, clean rust free doors with power windows and locks, deluxe door panels and trim, very good condition center console for factory bucket seats, power sun visors with visor extensions, super clean not faded or cracked gauge bezel with the marbleized wood grain and here's the kicker...Doug Thorley Tri Y headers with the crossover pipe. The price made it even better. School has started up and Im super antsy to get the doors and headers on, but its going to have to wait. :/
Old 06-20-2013, 03:57 AM   #23
Jabes1

Had to help the girlfriend move some stuff for her mother, so we loaded up my truck and it was a perfect opportunity to get some more tuning done. We pulled a lot of fuel out of the accel enrichment tables ae vs.map and its becoming more responsive. Added some more timing below 3000 rpm and it helped it as well. The truck cruises beautifully, currently with 50 degrees advanced timing. I cant wait to put the Thorley's on it, thick flanges that shouldn't warp or loosen. I'm also pretty antsy about the power windows and door locks, however I need to pull the wiring harness out of the Suburban I found them on or a standard cab with power windows and locks to make them function. I was planning on sport mirrors for my truck, but the doors came with the elephant ear mirrors which are pretty sturdy and stainless so they wont look bad and will last. Nothing like the feeling you get when your cruising with your girl next to you in your truck on a cool summer night. It puts a smile on my face ear to ear... feels like I'm 16 again. :]
Old 07-24-2013, 03:09 AM   #24
Jabes1

Well finals week is here, last test on Thursday.... then back to thrashing on my truck. I plan on putting the Thorley's on and re routing the exhaust to the drivers side. Installing and gapping the power doors. More tuning, some interior and body work...
Old 07-28-2013, 07:40 PM   #25
Jabes1

Sand blasted the swaybar, but its not installed yet. I don't like the way it mounts to the frame so, Im going to mount it differently and higher so it doesn't hang down.

Picked up a set of Doug Thorley Headers from the junkyard. They are stainless with thick flanges. I had a set of Hookers that I really liked, but they disappeared from a friends house. When I was using the Hookers, I didn't like re-torqing them. Im hoping the thick flanges on the Thorley's will cut down on that some. I like the power of headers, but not the maintenance. These were designed for a Suburban with drivers side exit exhaust and require the use of the Thorley designed crossover pipe and single hump crossmember.

I currently have a double hump crossmember so these will not work until I get a single hump crossmember to run the exhaust down the drivers side. I could run true dual exhaust, however the passenger side header is turned towards the transmission to meet the crossover tubing. Im hoping that between running tpi and these Tri-Y's, it will have a nice bottom end and mpg's will reflect that.