The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2021, 01:16 PM   #1
eighteenninetytwo

Anyone switched to EFI from carb using an edelbrock kit?

I saw an Edelbrock EFI kit online the other day just after I'd spent an hour or so tinkering with the electric choke. So I started musing about what's involved in the switch and whether it's worth it. Anyone done it on their blazer? Did it change economy and general driving for the better?
eighteenninetytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 04:12 PM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Anyone switched to EFI from carb using an edelbrock kit?

I have seen quite a few people I know swap to the various forms of fuel injection. From everything I have been told is that they felt it was worth it. As it improves drivibility, and starting in the cooler mornings. It does not add more horsepower in of it's self provided your carb is not wildly out of tune. In the case of the Edelbrock the single plane could add hp up top, but can soften up the bottom end.

If you go with a bolt on option like FiTech, Holley, or MSD atomic systems. Some people have no or no noticeable problems bolting them straight to a dual plane. Many people say they work better on single plain intakes like a Victor Jr. Many also say all you need to do is grind out your divider, and use a tall atleast a 1 inch spacer. Sometimes the tbi needs to see both sides of the engine so it has proper vacuum signal to the sensors.

You can use a 87 and up fuel tank or go with a aftermarket version. On my Stepside I am using aftermarket, but I will have to use a external pump. Which has its downsides, but right now it works better with my current carb set up.

In a year or so I am dreaming to swap a 4L80 in to my truck along with a Holley Terminator stealth tbi. Right now I am trying to clean up the truck, and get it back online.

As with anything is the cost. This is where a 5.3 starts to make sense from hp per dollar aspect. I am a carb guy, and love the look. So I will probably do it anyways.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 09:06 PM   #3
Corts60
Just here to tinker

I was looking at that Edelbrock set up myself for my 86. Not ready to pull the trigger just yet though. I like that the injectors are in the runners and it is not a TBI set up like the other ones. If you end up going with it, please post up your build and results!
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 09:14 PM   #4
blazer2007

From what I,ve read the Eddy one is nice and easy to set up, and they say to use open plenum intake. I,m thinking about the switch as well
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 10:46 PM   #5
lux

I put an Edelbrock Pro-Flo4 system on my 383. I can't compare it to a carb because this was a new build. The reliability and performance are great. I mostly did it because I don't know much about carbs.
I'm sure you know that there are added costs in the fuel system you should factor in.
Attached Images

lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:55 AM   #6
Rickysnickers

I replaced my carb set up with a Pro Flo 4 system. I really like it. There's also good support on the Edelbrock forum if you have any problems or questions.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 12:05 PM   #7
eighteenninetytwo

What did you do about the fuel pump? I have a mechanical fuel pump so i guess i have to replace everything or use the inline sump style electric fuel pump.
eighteenninetytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 12:56 PM   #8
lux

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighteenninetytwo View Post
What did you do about the fuel pump? I have a mechanical fuel pump so i guess i have to replace everything or use the inline sump style electric fuel pump.
I used a retro fit in tank pump from summit. I have a standard blazer style tank in between the frame rails in the back. You just have to cut out a mounting hole in the tank. So far the pump is running great. I can look up the model number later for you. Then of course you have to run power and a return fuel line. I just used the original sending unit for the gas gauge.
Old 07-20-2021, 01:04 PM   #9
lux

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-250151

That's the pump I used.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:57 PM   #10
Rickysnickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighteenninetytwo View Post
My truck had a fuel tank relocated under the bed. I plumbed in an in-tank electric fuel pump and the lines. I used all Pusk Lok lines, to keep costs down and for ease of routing. You can also use one of these, https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...EaApeEEALw_wcB
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote