The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-17-2021, 04:17 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I caused a back up at the drive through today.

May I take your order? Yes I want blah blah etc. ... Is the order correct on the screen? Yep. Ok that will be $11.44 at the window.

Get to the window and hand the nice girl $21.44. Get my food, get my change ... 9 bucks. Hey you owe me a dollar. Blank stare. I gave you the 1.44 so I could get an even ten back. Ill have to get my manager. Manager, box of rocks, same difference. You get what Im saying. Just give him his dollar. Nice girl gives me my dollar. Im not sure why you gave me this extra dollar, Im just giving it back to you ... No problem kiddo, have a great rest of the day. I hope you get all debit cards from now on.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 04:19 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: I caused a back up at the drive through today.

sighhhh...dont get me started on drivethrus..!!! arghhhh
it amazes me how the younger set cant even make change anymore..

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 04:23 PM   #3
Grumpy old man

For $15.00 an hour you expect them to know how to make change ? and give you hot food ? SHEESH !

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 04:53 PM   #4
Getter-Done

I do the same thing when I can.

Most of the time It works out.

Just about a Month ago ,
The lady scanned the product I purchased then,
I handed her a $20.oo and the change.

She pushed the money I gave her in the cash register.

Then ask her manager (It did not show how much money to give him back)

What do I do?

Me standing there trying not to laugh lol:
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 05:15 PM   #5
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
For $15.00 an hour you expect them to know how to make change ? and give you hot food ? SHEESH !

Half the time id just be happy if they gave my the right order for $15 an hour!
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 05:40 PM   #6
Louisvillekytruck

Around here nobody will work for $15.00 most places close early because no workers
Louisvillekytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 05:49 PM   #7
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

How did us old geezers do it back in the day? Were we born geniuses, or did we just pay attention in math class? I had paper routes starting at age ten, which included door-to-door collecting every month, and I knew how to count out change. It ain't that tricky, but the concept seems to baffle a lot of folks anymore. And they are not all kids either....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:00 PM   #8
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
How did us old geezers do it back in the day? Were we born geniuses, or did we just pay attention in math class? I had paper routes starting at age ten, which included door-to-door collecting every month, and I knew how to count out change. It ain't that tricky, but the concept seems to baffle a lot of folks anymore. And they are not all kids either....
Yes I see that also that it's not just the kids.
I check my change and try to honest when,
They give me to much.

Old 09-17-2021, 06:13 PM   #9
Louisvillekytruck

We did not have cell phones to tell us everything
Louisvillekytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:05 PM   #10
best view

They use different math iam not kidding ask your grandkids
best view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:14 PM   #11
truckster

I like to give them correct change after they ring it up. It kills the few brain cells they have.
Old 09-17-2021, 11:16 PM   #12
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Many years ago, I worked in a gas station. We'd sometimes come up short on the cash till. I worked mainly as a mechanic, but still had to pump gas. The first time it happened, the boss took everybody aside and had them make change, to be sure that that wasn't the problem. Remember the trick where the customer gives you a twenty, and then discovers that he has exact change, and you give him the twenty back, plus the change? Flim-flam guys. Anyway, the real problem, every time, was someone was going to quit, and started skimming money out of the cash box. My boss put up a note saying that, "Shortages have reached an unacceptable level, and I want it stopped." Ever-loving wise-a$$ that I am, I went in and asked what an "acceptable" level of theft was, so that I could pinch off money below the limit. He was not amused.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:58 PM   #13
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Many years ago, I worked in a gas station. We'd sometimes come up short on the cash till. I worked mainly as a mechanic, but still had to pump gas. The first time it happened, the boss took everybody aside and had them make change, to be sure that that wasn't the problem. Remember the trick where the customer gives you a twenty, and then discovers that he has exact change, and you give him the twenty back, plus the change? Flim-flam guys. Anyway, the real problem, every time, was someone was going to quit, and started skimming money out of the cash box. My boss put up a note saying that, "Shortages have reached an unacceptable level, and I want it stopped." Ever-loving wise-a$$ that I am, I went in and asked what an "acceptable" level of theft was, so that I could pinch off money below the limit. He was not amused.
I was employed at a Service Station like that.

There was no Bookkeeper thou

Old 09-18-2021, 06:21 AM   #14
special-K
Special Order

I didn't think you had to get paid to know how to count and subtract. Nobody paid me to go to school.

I worked at a gas station and each worker had a key to their own money drawer.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:23 AM   #15
4u2nv

I don't know how many times I have gave a cashier paper money and they put it in the cash register before giving my change back , I have said to the cashier with their boss standing there at times " someday someone is going to rip you off by saying they gave you a 20 and want change from that even though it was a 10 and you have no way to prove it because you already put it in the till.
Not everyone is honest.
I have seen it happen.
4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:27 AM   #16
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4u2nv View Post
I don't know how many times I have gave a cashier paper money and they put it in the cash register before giving my change back , I have said to the cashier with their boss standing there at times " someday someone is going to rip you off by saying they gave you a 20 and want change from that even though it was a 10 and you have no way to prove it because you already put it in the till.
Not everyone is honest.
I have seen it happen.
This is why it became standard practice to but the original bills from the customer across the top of the drawer (till) while you counted the change back to them. Then when they try to say they gave you something different....there it sits, as proof.

When I was young, even the most math "illiterate" people could make change, just to keep from getting ripped off.

I think the problem today is two-fold. Way back in the day of manual cash registers, you "had to" make the change yourself. Then came computerized machines that allowed you to enter the "amount given" and it made the calculation. Then came the popularity of credit and/or debit cards, so no change was needed.
This has created "button pushers" not cashiers.

For some reason, in the last few decades, school kids seem to be exposed to higher levels of math earlier, but are not retaining it?
When I was in middle school, we were not taught anything about fractions until the end of 7th grade! and not one word of algebra until 9th. But, by junior year, we were doing trigonometry tests with nothing but the booklet of tables. Now, granted, this was in a machine shop class in a vocational school, but still high school.
The concept of "teaching to the test", is failing kids. They memorize what they need in the moment, rather than actually understanding the material.
They might pass the test today, but don't give them that same test next month or even next week.....especially without notice. We used to do that regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:50 AM   #17
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

I remember when I started selling things from school/scouts (candy/popcorn/random crap). My mom set me down to learn how to count change back. I could NOT walk out the door to sell anything until I passed all of her "tests".

She said it was two fold, no kid of mine is not going to know how to count change back and you got to know when you get change back you are getting all that should be coming to you! Granted that was in the late 70s - I tried that with my kids and gave up. I suppose my mom was a scarier than me LOL

I love to mess with cashiers when I am using cash, after handing over my cash and they typed in the register said cash value, I'd say "hey, wait a minute - let me give you this 46 cents to make things even". They'd have this look, "what the **** do I do now"! LOL

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:00 AM   #18
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

I went to a little local market and the guy behind the counter seemed a little rattled. His wife and baby were there and his wife is kind of a ballbuster.

So. He gives me six bucks in change. The only problem is that I haven't paid yet. So I told him that I hadn't paid and he looked confused and nervous because she's looking at him.

Now his wife is giving him the stink eye. I think that he wished that I hadn't said anything. I kind of felt the same way too. I didn't mean to get the guy in trouble.

I was just being honest but I guess that I should have just taken the money and came back later and paid him when she wasn't looking an saved the guy from some grief.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:09 AM   #19
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Work ethic just ain't what it used to be..
People just dont care..and dont want to work
I seldom get the right order at the fast food joints..Seldom get correct change
The local only places usually do a good job...the chains are terrible
We were in a fast food joint the other day, and the kid behind the counter was using their phones calculator to make simple math change..the manager saw it and chewed the kid out for not knowing basic math...cash registers were down..
I went thru a drive thru the other day and ordered..pulled up to the window to pay, handed cash to the kid...all I got was a blank stare..like he had never seen green cash money before...uhhhh he said..do you not have correct change?..
I give up

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:10 AM   #20
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
I went to a little local market and the guy behind the counter seemed a little rattled. His wife and baby were there and his wife is kind of a ballbuster.

So. He gives me six bucks in change. The only problem is that I haven't paid yet. So I told him that I hadn't paid and he looked confused and nervous because she's looking at him.

Now his wife is giving him the stink eye. I think that he wished that I hadn't said anything. I kind of felt the same way too. I didn't mean to get the guy in trouble.

I was just being honest but I guess that I should have just taken the money and came back later and paid him when she wasn't looking an saved the guy from some grief.
Maybe that was the moment his wife realized she shouldn't be busting his balls while running the cash register... unless she's running short on ball busting material. My ex-wife had that problem a lot. "Digging deep for that one hunny. I love you too!"

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:06 PM   #21
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

A few years ago (3-4), my daughter and I went out to dinner, to a well-known old-school Italian place. As we were being seated, the electricity went off. Un-known to us at the time, someone crashed a car into a pole, shutting don't several blocks for hours. The emergency (battery) lights came on, so it was very similar to the regular lighting anyway. The server came to us with a candle and said we were welcome to stay if we wanted too. They cook with gas and it didn't shut the kitchen down either. We said sure, and ordered our food. After a little while, it came to me that I didn't have any cash on me. I asked the server about it and she said "Don't worry about it honey, we have one of those roller things under the counter at the bar." So we went on with our meal and she brought it to the table at the end, along with the carbon paper receipt thing. I gave her my card, she rolled it through, and my daughter just sat there looking stunned. She had never seen such a thing and if I remember right, she was 22 at the time. I'm sure she could have made change without the register too, but what could they have done in most places?
Sure, in Walmart or a grocery store, you could just leave, but in a restaurant, you have eaten/ taken your side of the deal. How would they deal with this?
You "can't" pay, but it's not anybody's fault, yours or theirs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:39 PM   #22
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Maybe give them a piece of paper, saying you'll come back and pay it later? One place I worked, if you wanted a candy bar from the fund-raising canteen, you just filled out a slip with what you owed, and then came by later and put in the money and took the slip. With all these scanners, inventory control, etc., it's a bit tough for a lot of stores. You'd think that there would be a way, though.

I don't remember the restaurant, but if people came in, ate and couldn't pay, their name gotten written on a "Rogue's Gallery" sign by the door, until they came back and paid. Kind of like when you go in a small mom & pop store, and they have all the bad checks posted for people to see. I know people who have trouble groceries and such in small towns because they're known deadbeats, until they make their debts good. There are times when people need some help, so that might seem a bit cruel. I guess that the proprietors know what's what.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:11 PM   #23
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post

The brain operates differently with various types of stress. His wife is only making things worse.

Last edited by LT7A; 09-19-2021 at 01:42 PM.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:14 PM   #24
Getter-Done

I had forgot about the the carbon paper receipt thing.

When I used it at the gas station I worked at.
We used that for some people.
I thought (Why don't people just pay cash)

Now 30 something years later.

Old 09-19-2021, 08:05 AM   #25
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
I had forgot about the the carbon paper receipt thing.

When I used it at the gas station I worked at.
We used that for some people.
I thought (Why don't people just pay cash)

Now 30 something years later.
I have one that was my folks ,,somewhere,,, my folks used to take eggs to the country store and the store owners would write on the little book the price of each of the groceries and then write the subtraction of the amount the eggs were worth ,and hand them the receipt