The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2024, 08:31 AM   #1
KyleSeal

Proportioning Valve Keeps Tripping?

1967 C10 - Disc conversion (power 8" booster) - master cylinder is 1" bore, and the proportioning valve was advertised when bought in the kit as a disc/drum setup.

I am having an issue with my proportioning valve.
When I go to bleed the brakes, while using the proportioning valve tool to center the shuttle valve, everything bleeds fine, no leaks and good strong flow. No air coming out anymore, I did plenty of extra pedal strokes to ensure this and had no air that I could see come out.
But when I put the brake switch back in, bleeders all closed, and press the pedal down half way, the red brake light illuminates. I have pulled the switch and confirmed the shuttle valve closes the rear brakes. Recenter, does it again.
I confirmed the rear brake shoes are at their proper adjustment with a brake drum/shoe caliper tool to get the measurement even.
Even after adjusting and all this bleeding, it seems like its either seeing a fault at the rear.

So my question essentially is how do I move forward from here?
From the factory, the front brakes are fed by 1 line off the front of this proportioning valve down to a T fitting split to both sides, and obviously rear is one that goes to a T on the differential.
Someone did say my front feed being at the top fitting (pictured) is an issue, I don't see this as an issue being this should be able to balance it, am I incorrect?

Name:  IMG_5088.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  86.7 KB Name:  IMG_5089.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  33.1 KB

My Build Thread (1967 C10, lowered, EFI, daily truck): http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=830809
KyleSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 10:26 AM   #2
72SB

Re: Proportioning Valve Keeps Tripping?

The position of front line is not the problem.

Your PV is sensing a change which triggers the switch. Whatever direction it moves, that part (front or back) has a leak you need to find

...or the PV is bad which is rare but given source of replacement parts used in these kits, way more possible now.

Power brake disc typically use a 1 1/8" bore MC but that would not affect what PV is doing. larger bore just means less pedal stroke as the booster assist does not need the stroke a manual setup needs.

Last edited by 72SB; 03-14-2024 at 10:35 AM.
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 10:31 AM   #3
Dashman

In my opinion the front brake line coming off the combination valve upwards shouldn't matter because it was designed that way for two front brake lines. However, typically when using a single line with a tee, others (factory included?) used the bottom port and plugged the top. I don't think it will matter.

Someone else, on this forum, stated that their switch was too sensitive. Are you seeing a lot of movement of the shuttle valve? Having removed the switch, how much movement can it have before the light turns on?

How do you know that the proportioning valve isn't stuck in the open position? It's function is too reduce the pressure to the rear, right? What would the shuttle valve do, if the proportioning valve wasn't doing its function? I think it would slide rearward a bit. You could replace just the proportioning valve, and see if it makes a difference. Then you could disassemble the first proportioning valve to see if there was a problem.
Dashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 11:04 AM   #4
RichardJ

>>proper adjustment with a brake drum/shoe caliper tool <<

If you are talking about a "resetting tool" , the shoes are probably still too far away from the drums.
You should adjust until the shoes drag and then step on the brake pedal to center the shoes. You have to readjust tighter, press on the brake and check for drag again. The finish adjustment should allow you to hear some drag, but not necessarily feel any resistance when you turn the drum.

Last edited by RichardJ; 03-14-2024 at 11:16 AM.
RichardJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 12:02 PM   #5
kwmech

Which mater cylinder do you have on there? Lift the cap off and take a pic.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 12:55 PM   #6
KyleSeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72SB View Post
The position of front line is not the problem.

Your PV is sensing a change which triggers the switch. Whatever direction it moves, that part (front or back) has a leak you need to find

...or the PV is bad which is rare but given source of replacement parts used in these kits, way more possible now.

Power brake disc typically use a 1 1/8" bore MC but that would not affect what PV is doing. larger bore just means less pedal stroke as the booster assist does not need the stroke a manual setup needs.
I have checked all fittings - no leaks. Verified visually and with a clean rag to see if theres even the smallest seepage. I am leaning towards a bad PV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashman View Post
In my opinion the front brake line coming off the combination valve upwards shouldn't matter because it was designed that way for two front brake lines. However, typically when using a single line with a tee, others (factory included?) used the bottom port and plugged the top. I don't think it will matter.

Someone else, on this forum, stated that their switch was too sensitive. Are you seeing a lot of movement of the shuttle valve? Having removed the switch, how much movement can it have before the light turns on?

How do you know that the proportioning valve isn't stuck in the open position? It's function is too reduce the pressure to the rear, right? What would the shuttle valve do, if the proportioning valve wasn't doing its function? I think it would slide rearward a bit. You could replace just the proportioning valve, and see if it makes a difference. Then you could disassemble the first proportioning valve to see if there was a problem.
Ill need to visually see how much it moves, it moves enough to trigger but I can still manually recenter with a pick, moving the shuttle back to neutral. Its somewhat "U" shaped, and I can grab the edge of the U and pull it back, if that makes any sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
>>proper adjustment with a brake drum/shoe caliper tool <<

If you are talking about a "resetting tool" , the shoes are probably still too far away from the drums.
You should adjust until the shoes drag and then step on the brake pedal to center the shoes. You have to readjust tighter, press on the brake and check for drag again. The finish adjustment should allow you to hear some drag, but not necessarily feel any resistance when you turn the drum.
The tool I am refering to is a tool made by Blue Point, its a giant caliper that you set inside the drum to set the diameter, and then hold over the shoes and adjust until they lightly touch. I dont believe the rear shoes are an issue; theyre adjusted to the proper drag currently and the light is still persisting after resetting the PV and verifying it is in neutral and the light is off until the pedal is pressed.

My Build Thread (1967 C10, lowered, EFI, daily truck): http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=830809
Old 03-14-2024, 01:42 PM   #7
MikeB

My almost-new switch all of a sudden got very sensitive, even when not applying the brakes. I pulled it out and checked it on the bench with an ohmmeter. Turns out that just a very small bit of upward movement causes the switch to close. I mean we're talking .050" if that much.

Ended up using the later model switch that came with my aftermarket combo valve. Unfortunately, the wire connector is different, but that's no big deal -- just another PITA to deal with.

This is probably not your problem, since your switch closes only when you step on the brakes. But I just wanted to get this info out there -- the light flickering or being on all the time could indicate a bad ChiCom switch.

On another note, that's a dual 8" booster, right?
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 02:03 PM   #8
Rust_never_sleeps

Maybe try adjusting the backs to be stupidly tight and see if that makes a difference.
IF you still have the differential pressure valve moving, then there's air or fluid loss somewhere causing a....pressure difference
Old 03-14-2024, 02:42 PM   #9
KyleSeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
My almost-new switch all of a sudden got very sensitive, even when not applying the brakes. I pulled it out and checked it on the bench with an ohmmeter. Turns out that just a very small bit of upward movement causes the switch to close. I mean we're talking .050" if that much.

Ended up using the later model switch that came with my aftermarket combo valve. Unfortunately, the wire connector is different, but that's no big deal -- just another PITA to deal with.

This is probably not your problem, since your switch closes only when you step on the brakes. But I just wanted to get this info out there -- the light flickering or being on all the time could indicate a bad ChiCom switch.

On another note, that's a dual 8" booster, right?
Yep - 8" booster. I did flush mount to the firewall, which I was thinking may be a problem, but judging by what others have told me I am thinking I have some air really stuck. Im going to try a heavy hit to the pedal with the bleeders open and see what it gets me. Hopefully not a mess to clean up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust_never_sleeps View Post
Maybe try adjusting the backs to be stupidly tight and see if that makes a difference.
IF you still have the differential pressure valve moving, then there's air or fluid loss somewhere causing a....pressure difference
I actually did adjust them to the point where the wheel wont turn. Still the same. I am thinking I have a huge bubble somewhere and its possibly in the rear circuit at the prop or in the prop valve.

Old 03-14-2024, 02:47 PM   #10
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Old school reputable mech. says old CPV vales rarely fail.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 03:14 PM   #11
Rust_never_sleeps

Quote:
I actually did adjust them to the point where the wheel wont turn. Still the same. I am thinking I have a huge bubble somewhere and its possibly in the rear circuit at the prop or in the prop valve.
Gotcha. I had better luck syringe bleeding the MC/combo valve than bench bleeding, or at least felt more certain about it.
Bought a pack of these off the River :shrug:
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2024, 03:47 PM   #12
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSeal View Post
YI am thinking I have a huge bubble somewhere and its possibly in the rear circuit at the prop or in the prop valve.
How does the pedal feel? Can't imagine there's air in the lines after all the bleeding you've done.

Have you bled brakes in the past? Are you shutting the bleeder valve before your helper lets off the pedal? And/or submerging the bleeder hose in fluid so it can't suck in air?
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
Old 03-14-2024, 03:49 PM   #13
KyleSeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
How does the pedal feel? Can't imagine there's air in the lines after all the bleeding you've done.

Have you bled brakes in the past? Are you shutting the bleeder valve before your helper lets off the pedal? And/or submerging the bleeder hose in fluid so it can't suck in air?
Ive done quite a bit of bleeding in the past. I use the one way valve "Speed Bleeders" on nearly everything, so I dont have to on/off the bleeder. I do keep it submerged though. If all else fails, I will borrow a pressure bleeder and force the system to give me an answer!

As far as pedal feel, it is soft sometimes, and sometimes when bleeding it is hard. Counterintuitive.

Last edited by KyleSeal; 03-14-2024 at 03:51 PM. Reason: addt'l info
Old 03-14-2024, 03:50 PM   #14
KyleSeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust_never_sleeps View Post
Gotcha. I had better luck syringe bleeding the MC/combo valve than bench bleeding, or at least felt more certain about it.
Bought a pack of these off the River :shrug:
Ive thought of this as well when I was bench bleeding the MC. That may be on the list after some abrupt pressure bleeding.

Old 03-14-2024, 04:41 PM   #15
72c20customcamper

When the light goes on do the rear brakes still actuate? The proportion valve when tripped will stop the fluid from going to that circuit. I would let the light come on and try to bleed the rear brakes no fluid the circuit is tripped if you get fluid then it may be the switch .
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 07:08 AM   #16
kwmech

See post number 5
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 08:10 AM   #17
KyleSeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
See post number 5
Heres that picture. I had to get it at home last night so I could post it here today. I consulted the people who sell these and they say rear is rear and front is front.
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2024, 08:15 AM   #18
KyleSeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
When the light goes on do the rear brakes still actuate? The proportion valve when tripped will stop the fluid from going to that circuit. I would let the light come on and try to bleed the rear brakes no fluid the circuit is tripped if you get fluid then it may be the switch .
From what I can hear, they still actuate. I am doing this alone so I use my phone camera to see whats going on. With the switch in, it will only send the shuttle valve backwards a small amount, and still let fluid out. When I take the switch out, it will close them entirely. At this point, I have ordered a pressure bleeder to see if I can force some sort of hidden air pockets out.

Old 03-15-2024, 08:57 AM   #19
KyleSeal

The plan as of now;
1. I purchased a pressure bleeder, should be here Saturday. I will force all the air and fluid out with it if theres any.
If no avail;
2. I will replace the master and proportioning valve with a 1-1/8" master kit.
If no avail;
3. I will start going to church

Does anyone think the dual-diaphragm 8" booster with a 1" bore master is an issue? I am not thinking it is as I dont know why one would be sold if that was the issue, but now I am possibly beginning to second guess all components.

Old 03-15-2024, 09:07 AM   #20
72c20customcamper

Quote:
From what I can hear, they still actuate. I am doing this alone so I use my phone camera to see whats going on. With the switch in, it will only send the shuttle valve backwards a small amount, and still let fluid out. When I take the switch out, it will close them entirely. At this point, I have ordered a pressure bleeder to see if I can force some sort of hidden air pockets out.
Did you change the rear cylinders? May not be correct size for the system
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 03-15-2024, 09:18 AM   #21
KyleSeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
Did you change the rear cylinders? May not be correct size for the system
I had changed them out years ago, when I did the brakes in the rear and they operated at that time fine. That was years ago and when it was on the drum drum setup. But I couldnt imagine an issue there - as a lot of people do the disc drum conversion and I havent seen it notated that they touched the rear brakes at all.

Old 03-15-2024, 09:27 AM   #22
72c20customcamper

Quote:
I had changed them out years ago, when I did the brakes in the rear and they operated at that time fine. That was years ago and when it was on the drum drum setup. But I couldnt imagine an issue there - as a lot of people do the disc drum conversion and I havent seen it notated that they touched the rear brakes at all.
I would talk to the tech guy . The master may not be correct for your rear brake cylinder. Most places sell generic masters mostly for cars . If your rears are to large there may be a pressure differential between the disc and drum brake for a fraction of a second causing it to believe there is a leak in the rear circuit.

Maybe change out the portioning valve it could be defective.
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 03-15-2024, 09:46 AM   #23
72c20customcamper

Pretty sure c10 and c20 are different the front on my c20 goes to the rear reservoir on the master
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 03-15-2024, 11:14 AM   #24
72SB

I did my 72 manual disc/drum to power using the CPP booster/mc/pv. Rears went to rear of PV, front to front of PV. (pic)

O{, I think your issue is the PV or the shuttle switch in it.

OP, power front disc brakes use a 1 1/8" MC. Manual drum uses 1" MC. Either should "work" but with the 1 1/8 MC the pedal stroke will be shorter which with the booster is all that is needed.
Attached Images

72SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 11:33 AM   #25
MikeB

As for bleeding an M/C, I do it on the truck using these hard lines. Surprisingly, not a lot of fluid leaks out when you remove them after bleeding. Sure beats doing it using those M. Mouse kits that come with some M/Cs.
Attached Images