The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2009, 02:35 AM   #1
chevlwb68

Wood Bed Advice

Sorry, I am sure this has been covered a million times.

I need to do my wood bed in my 68 longbed. Does anyone know the exact measurements of each board? Or is there a guide book out there somewhere I can pick up? I know the boards are 3/4" think, but they are different widths and I am not sure on the exact length to fit in the longbed properly. Also, I only finding 1'' thick boards at my local Lowes and Home Depot. Will that thickness work?

Just seems like I could do this for a lot cheaper than buying a pre-cut wood kit. They are so expensive. I have a shop and all the proper tools.

Or does anyone know where to get a killer deal on a pre-cut wood kit that will not kill me on the shipping?

Thanks for any help!
Attached Images

15x7 rallies and BFG's.
Built 350.
Dual Flowmasters.
Fast and Loud.
chevlwb68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:16 AM   #2
westofb
I really hate wet sanding!

Re: Wood Bed Advice

The one inch boards you find at lowes and hd are actually 3/4 inch boards...they may be called a 1 x 6 for example. Actually, they are 3/4 x 5 1/2, the measurements on finished lumber is before final plaining, where about 1/8 inch is removed from each side of thickness, and 1/4 inch from each edge. I can't help with you about what sizes the different boards are, but I would guess you could measure the cross sills in the bed and figure it out (inside hole to inside hole, distance between the holes). I think the original boards are also grooved on their face sides (bed side/ up side) to recess the bed strips so they are nearly level with the board faces.
westofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:03 AM   #3
chevlwb68

Re: Wood Bed Advice

yeah someone sent me a sweet website with all the board specs. Thanks for the info on the thickness! I want to make sure I have all the knowledge before I start this next expensive project.

Thanks again
15x7 rallies and BFG's.
Built 350.
Dual Flowmasters.
Fast and Loud.
chevlwb68 is offline   Reply With Quote