The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-22-2022, 03:31 PM   #1
cwcarpenter98

Engine breaking up or surging?? I'm confused

A new problem has developed on Frankentruck this weekend.

On Wednesday, I took a trip back to Milledgeville and the truck did fine. No issues, nothing to be concerned about.
On Thursday, I went full throttle up through the gears and noticed it started breaking up a little above 3k rpm in 2nd and then continued once I shifted into 3rd. Didn't do it the rest of the day, but I also didn't drive hard or go much faster than 50.
On Friday, I drove back home. It was Friday afternoon, so I chose not to take the interstate and deal with Atlanta traffic. I took mostly 2 lane highways and going up a hill in overdrive, doing about 60, the engine started surging or breaking up. Basically, it would miss on a couple cylinders, then fire strong on a couple others and make the truck buck like a horse. It also slowed me way down and didn't want to recover until I was able to pull off the road. I didn't see anything particularly out of whack under the hood. I didn't shut the engine off, and it was idling like normal, so I continued on. It kept happening if I would give too much throttle going up a hill for the rest of the trip home, but once I could reach the top of the hill, it would stop and I could accelerate back up to speed.

So, have any of y'all experienced something like what I'm describing?
I'm thinking I should look at either the fuel pump, which is the mechanical pump that was on the truck when I bought it, or the ignition module, which is unknown to me as I did not replace it when I swapped to the HEI.

Engine is a 283 small block, Quadrajet with an electric choke, HEI dizzy, and 3 speed manual with overdrive

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote