The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2020, 12:34 PM   #1
D-n-Tyke

What is the best way to prep new body panels?

Just like the title says, what is the best way to prep newly purchased body panels?What do you guys do to them, if anything, before installing them or finishing them? In my case I have a new core support, inner fender and front fender that I just bought. They all come with the black EDP finish on them. Is that good enough to just install as-is for the core support and inner fender? Or should I finish them with something, maybe a coat of POR-15? What about the fender, is it okay to just paint over the EDP or do I have to put a coat of primer on first? And if so, should I strip off the EDP before applying the primer? Can the finish color coat go straight over the EDP? As you can tell I am pretty new to this and any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

Panels were purchased from Classic Industries if that matters.
D-n-Tyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:57 PM   #2
Davidf

Re: What is the best way to prep new body panels?

For the inner fender and core support, just scuff with a scotchbrite pad and paint with Chassis Black or Semi-gloss/satin out of your favorite rattle can.

For the fender, test fit and modify accordingly, remove the EDP where body filler will be necessary. Hi-build prime the entire panel and block sand. Repeat as necessary. Seal coat followed by color coat (and clear, if two stage). Done.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:27 PM   #3
sick472

Test fit everything before spending any time on sanding, priming and painting. You will find that most all repop sheet metal parts need to be tweeked in some way and it's better to do the painting after the hole wallering, added tack welds, added holes, etc. Once tested fitted...remove and prep the parts with your primer and paint. Some will just paint the insides of fenders and doors (with some edge jamming) so that they can do the exterior body work on the truck once assembled and paint the whole thing at once. I like this way, but have painted fenders of the vehicle too...you just have to be careful putting it together once it's painted.

You'l find that the EDP is very thin and will sand off quickly. I ended up removing it because I found rust spots under the EDP and it came off easy. Not parts from you vendor, but it happens that raw steel can rust before they apply the EDP...it's just a cheap way to get the part to you without it rusting up.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:52 PM   #4
hugger6933

Not knowing the panel manufacturer I would suggest a test wipe with some lacquer thinner on a rag, just damp the rag and quickly wipe across the panel then go behind it with a dry rag to see if the black comes off onto the rag. Some places used to use a cheap black primer instead of the EDP to save money. I dont think anyone does that any more. scuff the fender i use 220 grit to sand it down then I put two or three coats of[ I use Omni] MP282 high build primer. Now the core support and inner fender you could do the same depending on the level your trying to make your truck reach Normally scuffing those parts wit a green or red scotchbrite then coating with your desired top coat. I lot of people use the Blitz black to paint the under hood parts and if you have a John Deere store near you you can swing in and get that it spray cans or quarts or gallons as well. Just a tidbit for free that Blitz Black also is super vlose to the color of the tilt columns. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote