The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2020, 08:04 AM   #1
REDROCKER652002

Latest issue

My son has a cracked exhaust manifold on his truck. 1969 with a small block chevy motor, not sure what displacement, but it is not a 350, 327 or anything like that. I think it may be a 305. Regardless, he went and ordered Hedman Headers from Summit racing. Which is cool, I applaud him for doing this on his own and wanting to give it a shot. The passenger side went on with very few issues. We are going to have to drop the starter and either reroute wires or figure out a way to put a heat shield on it. But, the drivers side has become a bit of a problem. Where the four pipes come into one, it hits the frame rail. Not bad, but just enough to not be able to tighten the bolts on the header to get a good seal. My inclination is to take the pipe out and take a ball peen hammer and just dimple in the header where it hits. I don't think it is going to cause any backflow issues, becase it really isn't that much. But we have also run into an issue with the power steering pump bracket. Part of it hooks to the front bolt of the header and since the stop manifold is thicker I am not sure how we are going to handle that. My thought is to use one of the old bolts, and just put a bunch of washers in to make up the difference. At least for now. I new 350 crate motor is in the future, so this is just more of a stop gap to fix the problem and get the truck back on the road. Also, I told him when he takes the truck to get the rest of the exhaust installed to tell the person that he is or might be planning to put a gas tank in the bacl of the frame. So, would the pipes just run on the inside of the frame rail, or outside the rail between the frame and the body? Sorry for being so stupid about this, but the last time I did this I was his age and did it on a 69 camaro z, and I remember having to dimple the back pipe due to firewall issues. Any input on possible power steering brackets and any solutions to the pipe issue would be great to hear.

The other option is to just get another stock manifold and keep the headers for when he gets the new motor.

Thanks to all

Dino AKA Dj's dad and weekend mechanic.

Damn, I wish he would have looked here first. Member is selling what looks to be the same ones used for 60 bucks. I am going to make mention that he start looking here first. LOL.
REDROCKER652002 is offline   Reply With Quote