The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-07-2021, 12:19 PM   #1
frkennyg

1957 Chev 1/2 ton front axle

Hi all. I purchased a different straight axle for my 57 half ton. It was disassembled when I got it and I am wanting to confirm which way is forward? On the axle where it mounts to the leaf springs there is a hole. Is that hole to the front or back? Thanks
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2021, 02:11 PM   #2
SideStepper

Re: 1957 Chev 1/2 ton front axle

Good observation & good question.
The axle needs to be installed with the blind holes pointing towards the rear of the truck. The 2 blind holes (1/4" dia. approx.) in the axle are location holes for the caster tapered shims. The shims have a locator "pin" (bump) on the ticker end of the taper & correctly mates & positions them on the axle. The shims are positioned with the thicker ends facing towards the rear of the truck. The shims tip the axle to the correct caster angle. Offhand I don't recall what the factory caster recommendation is.
SideStepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 03:01 PM   #3
dsraven

here is a link to the factory assembly manual which may show that, I took a quick look and didn't find it. it is good to download a copy for future reference anyway. if in doubt the axle, when installed, should have the kingpin bore positioned so the top of the bore is slightly behind the bottom of the bore which will give you some castor. the original springs may have the bottom leaf tapered already, if it still has the original leaves.
maybe somebody on here has a pic, I took mine out and gave it to a ratrod guy locally so it went with the springs attached. sorry.

https://www.trifive.com/d1/55-59Assy.pdf
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 03:22 PM   #4
frkennyg

Thanks Sidestepper and Dsraven. That helps a lot. Dsraven I also have that manual but I could not see the hole orientation. You people are awesome. Now I have to get back to building this truck.